Recharging aircon

janclaes47

It could be other things  than just  the gas has escaped

could be leaky  condenser ( radiator in the engine bay quite easy fix )  or  leaky evaporator

( radiator in the dashboard pain in the bum to fix !!! ) 

the condenser fan could be bad and combined with low to no coolant might have caused the compressor to burn up  about 5,000 baht ++++++ for reconditioned compressor.

Mine went a while ago  

New fan, reconditioned compressor,new dryer unit, flush the system, pull a vacuum and recharge the system  total 7,000 baht and a couple of hours work  at the local "outside" shop.

Just now, johng said:

or  leaky evaporator

( radiator in the dashboard pain in the bum to fix !!! ) 

I recall a few months ago i would notice "smoke" coming out of the outlets in the dashboard when driving with open window.

I think it stopped though when I closed the window.

Would this be an indication or normal behaviour?

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I never experienced that myself...but I don't drive with the aircon on and windows down,

it doesn't seem normal to me...maybe the coolant was low and the evaporator was "icing up"

so you have "smoke" coming out like when you open the fridge freezer at home...????

Just now, johng said:

I never experienced that myself...but I don't drive with the aircon on and windows down,

it doesn't seem normal to me...maybe the coolant was low and the evaporator was "icing up"

so you have "smoke" coming out like when you open the fridge freezer at home...????

I usually also don't drive with the windows open, but it can happen when taking a ticket at the toll booth and not winding up the window because exit is only a few kilometers ahead.

Yes that is the kind of smoke i had in mind.

18 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I recall a few months ago i would notice "smoke" coming out of the outlets in the dashboard when driving with open window.

The 'smoke' is more likely to be water vapor. When you open the window. you're inviting moist air in which recycles through air con system, especially if you leave the system set to recycle.

O/P, 8 years is a very long time to leave your A/C without a service. The coolant contains a small amount of lubricant which keeps the compressor and the seals in good condition. Without it they begin to deteriorate.

A recharge may get the system working again and is worth a try. But you could be in for bigger bills to follow.

OP. If a recharge is required, it's likely that you have a leak of what may be anything from an 'o' ring (hopefully one with easy access) to something more significant. AC's are a sealed system so if you've lost coolant there's likely to be a leak. Any good workshop or dealer would test pressure, recharge and put in a uv dye to identify where and what type of fault..... The dye will indicate where it's occurring.

With luck the compressor may not be at fault as it has a minimum working pressure and will not 'kick in' to deliver cool air once it's lower pressure limit is reached.

I recently had a similar problem with both a Mazda 3 and a Mitsubishi Outlander - unfortunately in both cases, the dye leaked out the evaporator tube under the vehicle (where the water usually drips out on a hot day). We noticed that the aircons gradually ceased cooling over a month or two and then a bad smell in the cabin, followed immediately by ambient temp air through the vents. The result was the removal of entire dash and replacement of evaporators in both cases. Upside was an annoying squeak behind the dash in the Mazda was fixed in the process ????.

Couple of easy things to try first....

Take the grill off and blast the condenser (A/C radiator) with an air hose or water hose to remove crap. Make sure you have water dripping under the car from the drain off tube...

If the system is too low on gas pressure it will not work at all...B-Quik I think charge 500bht to top up, but a complete evacuation, refill and oil is about 3000bht..

Been to a local shop in Pattaya, and refilled the freon for 400 Baht.

Without even checking the guy pointed out that the radiator was leaking and quoted 7000 baht.

He then continued that the evaporator also needed replacing, so I guess I picked the wrong shop if there will be some more repairs needed eventually.

After refill the aircon cools, so will have to wait if it loses freon again.

if there is a leak somewhere, what timespan I should take in account to notice this?

What i noticed right away is the following.

I have the ventilation always on recycling.

For the past 2 - 3 months when I start the car the recycling "valve" inside the dashboard would close, and then there would be a sound as if it tried to continue closing the valve when it was closed already. A sound like a worm keeps running while the worm gear is already at it's end.

After refilling that sound has disappeared, so it must be related somehow.

10 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes it is normal. It is moisture in the air being cooled/condensed.

If you turn the fan speed up it will stop

Or clean the air filter

Depends how big the leak is before it will need topping up again, undoubtedly it will as the units are sealed so the freon had to go somewhere originally to cause the issue......
Next time have a leak check done, finding anybody to do it properly will be the biggest headache....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Without even checking the guy pointed out that the radiator was leaking and quoted 7000 baht.

He then continued that the evaporator also needed replacing, so I guess I picked the wrong shop if there will be some more repairs needed eventually.

if there is a leak somewhere, what timespan I should take in account to notice this?

For the past 2 - 3 months when I start the car the recycling "valve" inside the dashboard would close, and then there would be a sound as if it tried to continue closing the valve when it was closed already. A sound like a worm keeps running while the worm gear is already at it's end.

It is a no no to have it permanently on recycling, you invite corrosion and mold build up...

9 hours ago, transam said:

It is a no no to have it permanently on recycling, you invite corrosion and mold build up...

Very true but it is the average drivers habit to do just that which is why some cars belonging to very nice, clean girls that I have ridden shotgun with smell like a wet labrador eating an old kipper. Mold build up can be controlled by making a conscious effort to turn off the recycle and let the motor run for a few more minutes at the end of a trip, like when your unloading the shopping or taking the kid out of the kids seat and other such post-mission duties. Chances are when you head off on your next tour of duty, it will still be on non-recycle for a fair bit until you either get a waft of the chicken sh!t from a nearby chook plantation or the missus complains that she's getting hot. Then you 'remember' and turn on the recycle again.

22 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

As others have said, there' no telling when the next top-up will be needed as the refrigerant has dynamic properties and with a steady leak, operating in a much more dynamic environment. On the plus side, the ambient air temp is getting cooler.

Not sure what aircon shop you tried but there's one on Sukh, single shophouse close to where the Ford dealership is, same side as the old Kan Airways office (opposite side from Ford). He did a stellar job on Mrs Nan's CRV when it had a leak and 'progressive' impairments were pointed out. Since he gassed it up, investigated and gave me a quote of 3000 baht all-in late afternoon, I made an appointment to drop it off on a more convenient time next morning. Took him about 4 hours but did exactly what he said he would do, no more add-ons and same price as quoted. AC was still icy when we sold the car 18 months later. Not saying your repair will be 3k but he didn't rack the price up markedly or find 'something else' on the day.

48 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

As others have said, there' no telling when the next top-up will be needed as the refrigerant has dynamic properties and with a steady leak, operating in a much more dynamic environment. On the plus side, the ambient air temp is getting cooler.

Not sure what aircon shop you tried but there's one on Sukh, single shophouse close to where the Ford dealership is, same side as the old Kan Airways office (opposite side from Ford). He did a stellar job on Mrs Nan's CRV when it had a leak and 'progressive' impairments were pointed out. Since he gassed it up, investigated and gave me a quote of 3000 baht all-in late afternoon, I made an appointment to drop it off on a more convenient time next morning. Took him about 4 hours but did exactly what he said he would do, no more add-ons and same price as quoted. AC was still icy when we sold the car 18 months later. Not saying your repair will be 3k but he didn't rack the price up markedly or find 'something else' on the day.

I went to Saijai aircon, right at the exit of the highway.

Will keep the shop you went to in mind when the aircon stops working again.

Archived