PM in Brussels for 12th ASEM and EU-ASEAN Leader's Meeting

webfact

PM in Brussels for 12th ASEM and EU-ASEAN Leader's Meeting

PNPOL611019001000310.jpg

BRUSSELS, 19th October 2018 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has met Thai citizens living in Belgium ahead of taking part in the 12th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) and EU-ASEAN Leaders’ Meeting. 

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha was greeted by Thai citizens residing in the Belgian capital Brussels, as he arrived at his hotel in the city, receiving a bouquet of flowers and chocolates as well as personally grown vegetables from them. Addressing the crowd, the PM expressed his happiness at their presence and asked them not to pay attention to much of the distorted information being circulated internationally, stating that solving the Kingdom’s problems is complicated and requires an overhaul of its education, economy and connectivity. He assured them that his priority is maintaining peace and order. 

The PM afterwards met and handed out policy decisions to members of the Thai team taking part in the 3rd Asia-Europe Youth Leaders’ Meeting at the Thai Embassy in Brussels. 

Minister of Foreign Affairs Don Poramudwinai said his and the Prime Minister’s presence in Belgium provided a good opportunity to explain the nation’s road map and current political situation. 

The 12th ASEM is being held on the central topic “Europe and Asia: Global Partnerships for Global Challenges”. It is being attended by leaders of 51 countries and personnel of both the European Union and the Office of the ASEAN Secretary-General. 

Director-General of the Department of Information and Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson, Busadee Santipitak said today that ASEM provides a good opportunity for Thailand to enhance its role on the world stage, saying that the PM’s key address will outline a vision of cooperation, sustainable network building and support for the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. He is also to seek multilateral cooperation on regional issues during informal meetings. 

After ASEM, the PM is to attend the European Union-ASEAN Leaders’ Meeting to discuss EU-ASEAN cooperation and Thailand’s role as chair of the bloc in 2019. He is also to hold bilateral meetings with several national leaders.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-19

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Addressing the crowd, the PM expressed his happiness at their presence and asked them not to pay attention to much of the distorted information being circulated internationally,

So he admits there is a free press outside of Thailand's control. That's his attempt at damage control, not realising that once Thais are free of his grasp, they have the opportunity to think for themselves.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kotsak said:

I wonder if he has also met the Thai people who gathered in protest there.

I was thinking exactly the same.

No surprise a Thai news agency (above) hasn't mentioned it. Can't see anything in Reuters so far. I'm sure it will raise it's head at some point.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

So he admits there is a free press outside of Thailand's control. That's his attempt at damage control, not realising that once Thais are free of his grasp, they have the opportunity to think for themselves.

The offerings of free/alternative information exchanges are Thai-centric [not under Junta/Elite control] and have little to do with mainstream "International" press, whom largely look upon Thai affairs with novel stereotypical views. 

....the Thai authorities are oblivious to what's out there, as such applies to challenging; questioning; and critical press. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

my thai friend is videoing the protest with thais now live on FB, message me if you want to know where to look 

54 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

The offerings of free/alternative information exchanges are Thai-centric [not under Junta/Elite control] and have little to do with mainstream "International" press, whom largely look upon Thai affairs with novel stereotypical views. 

....the Thai authorities are oblivious to what's out there, as such applies to challenging; questioning; and critical press. 

Quite a good turn out of protesters there now (thai) many are wanted for LM, Prayut must be fuming he can not do anything, its live on FB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kotsak said:

I wonder if he has also met the Thai people who gathered in protest there.

its live on FB now from the protesters! good turn out considering most live outside of belgium

Cambodians protesting Hun Sen too

Edited by jimmynewbie

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I was thinking exactly the same.

No surprise a Thai news agency (above) hasn't mentioned it. Can't see anything in Reuters so far. I'm sure it will raise it's head at some point.

News agency? The NNBT is nothing but a junta mouthpiece, nothing more.