Chiang Mai Seeks Budget For Mass Transit System

george

Chiang Mai seeks budget for mass transit system

CHIANG MAI: -- The Chiang Mai Municipality is seeking a budget to support the launch of the city's new mass transit system - the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) which will provide a service on four main routes covering a total distance of 106 kilometres.

The first phase of the operation will take 310 years after which the routes will be expanded to offer wider access to residents.

"Chiang Mai's new mass transit system is worth investing in considering the increase of pollution and traffic congestion", said Mayor Boonlert.

The transit system was planned by the Office of Traffic Policy and Planning and Chiang Mai University's Engineering Service Centre and the master plan, feasibility study and design is now complete.

The buses will use NGV gas and a digital system. The working group expects the construction of the system to start by 2008 and its full operation to be launched by the end of 2010.

-- Citylife 2007-02-13

CHIANG MAI: -- The Chiang Mai Municipality is seeking a budget to support the launch of the city's new mass transit system - the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) which will provide a service on four main routes covering a total distance of 106 kilometres.

The first phase of the operation will take 310 years after which the routes will be expanded to offer wider access to residents.

"Chiang Mai's new mass transit system is worth investing in considering the increase of pollution and traffic congestion", said Mayor Boonlert.

The transit system was planned by the Office of Traffic Policy and Planning and Chiang Mai University's Engineering Service Centre and the master plan, feasibility study and design is now complete.

The buses will use NGV gas and a digital system. The working group expects the construction of the system to start by 2008 and its full operation to be launched by the end of 2010.

-- Citylife 2007-02-13

Nice to see they'll be upgrading more often than the Bangkok busses.

-- Citylife 2007-02-13

At least, they are setting a realistic timeline. Hopefully they will be able to deliver on such a tight schedule. :o

-- Citylife 2007-02-13

They should finish the "super highway" (oxymoron) before they get the funds for other projects. The super highway is major embarrassment and only in LOS could corrupt officials get away with this monstrosity. LOL.

At least, they are setting a realistic timeline. Hopefully they will be able to deliver on such a tight schedule. :o

When I returned to CMai in June, I was curious about the new bus system. I note this 310 year plan is for buses. I see them around town (love those Pepsi Max ads on the side), but they are usually empty. I heard prior comments that the schedules and even the routes are unpredictable. Does anybody use them?

I see a taximeter now and again, also, whilst piloting my motorbike amongst the tuk-tuks. Have passengers converted to the new buses or to the taximeters?

Now who is going to relay these good news to the Songtaew mafia ?

Now who is going to relay these good news to the Songtaew mafia ?

This lot will let them know..post-31110-1171433768_thumb.jpg

This 310-year master plan has proved once and for all to all the farang naysayers that we, Thais, do indeed think ahead. :D:o

On a related note, I think CityLife probably needs to fire their current editor and hire a new one. :D

The editor is the owners daughter and is also Thai.

I don't think that anyone is going to fire her! :D

And rightly so, she's a lovely person who shows with every issue that she cares about Chiang Mai, while not shunning the ugly when needed.

Heck, the countries leading English language newspapers regularly make a mess of spelling, if not the news itself.

February 15, 2007 : Last updated 05:56 pm (Thai local time)

Chiang Mai - The Chiang Mai Municipality is seeking a budget to support the launch of the city's new mass transit system - the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) which will provide a service on four main routes covering a total distance of 106 kilometres.

Unquote

Please go to the following url for the rest of the news flash :-

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30026744

Could be good news if it,s successful in reducing the traffic congestion, but i do not think so without education and park and ride facilities out of town to encourage a change in mind set and old habits.

Hope you can stick around for 310 years to see the outcome and the benefits. :D

It does go on to say 2008 to 2010 for completion which indicates 3 years from now till then so maybe you may see the results of it all.

The intown traffic was a nightmare on my last visit, especially in the peak times A.M. and P.M.

Reminded me of the famous Bangkok police having to use oxygen to clear them of the pollution they are forced to breathe in from the air, and on a smaller scale everyone else of course.

marshbags :o

This 310-year master plan has proved once and for all to all the farang naysayers that we, Thais, do indeed think ahead. :D:o

On a related note, I think CityLife probably needs to fire their current editor and hire a new one. :D

The editor is the owners daughter and is also Thai.

I don't think that anyone is going to fire her! :D

Oh, never mind then. :D

I have just merged the two topics on this subject. This one and Marshbags' " The Chiang Mai Municipality, Mass Transit Budget Request."

Apologies to T.Visa and thanks P1P for your understanding and taking the time to put my post with the others.

I scrolled the Chang Mai section and the T. News clippings, but never thought it would have been posted yesterday.

It sure says a lot for the prompt reporting on the Nations Breaking News which appears to be a few hours behind schedule on this one.

Perhaps they thought as it was 310 years to completion of the first phase they had plenty of time to post, this time. :o

marshbags :D:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

O dear, well that is embarrassing. Yes, we made a mistake. I am afraid that I am not the owner's daughter, I am actually the owner, so I really don't think that I will go so far as to fire myself today, but will give myself a firm slap on the wrist and try to be contrite. Will that do?

It does astound me how three editors and a writer can read one page about four times each and still make mistakes. But it has been known to happen, and I must warn you, will probably happen again.

AHA! I am vindicated. I just checked our copy and it says, 3-10 years, apparently whatever programme online deleted the -. Phew! Three will be no spanking, slapping nor contrition today.