British Citizenship

hello all my THAI WIFE has just started her British citizenship course at colage,

has anyone got any test questions????

done the test ?? and tell us what to expect

or any help??

all the best pete and som

Suggest you go to www.google.com and do a search for:  british citizen test questions

There's a bunch of hits there, amongst them:

http://www.britishtest.com/  (you have to pay for this one)

http://geography.about.com/b/a/215037.htm  (from the BBC, looks like it's outdated)

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmlsite/self_10.html (from the government, ugh!)

Lots more to look at.

Mac

an American....

Hi Pete,

As has been said buy the book from any good book store and read the preface, this will tell you what chapters you need to read, it used to be three but it has been reported on here that it might be five but with little additional content.

Study the chapters required and continually test and help with content and do not be phased by the banal questions asked, just try to remember the relevant content.

It is a multiple choice, touch screen test so the possibility of being able to eliminate certain answers and so the liklihood of better chance of answering those that you do not know in the first place, increases.

When she pass's you get a certificate on the day and this goes toward your evidence for the application, much less required this time around as the burden of proof has been shown on previous applications.

You will then get an invitation to the swearing allegiance thingy, but I will tell you more of that after March 1st as the Wife has her ceremony on this day!

If you need further info or clarification on anything I will try and detail it further except on the Brit Cit course as I didn't know there was one and the wife didn't do one.

Good Luck

Moss

Pete, can you find out the exact title of the course that your wife is doing as it is possible she may not have to take a test/exam at all, merely complete the course, ie attend ALL the lessons. There are different English/citizenship courses, but to be on a course which only requires attendance her English would have to be pretty decent to begin with.

Not sure about this, but not having to take the Life in the UK test, you require a level of English to a standard of ESOl level 3, which I presume would require a pass to attain, attendance only is not enough.

You have to pass an exam that includes reading, writing, listening and speaking, but like I said not entirely sure about this.

Good Luck

Moss

Not sure about this, but not having to take the Life in the UK test, you require a level of English to a standard of ESOl level 3, which I presume would require a pass to attain, attendance only is not enough.

You have to pass an exam that includes reading, writing, listening and speaking, but like I said not entirely sure about this.

Good Luck

Moss

Correct, you can complete an 'ESOL level 3 with citizenship' course and pass the end of course exam OR if your English is good enough just do the 'Life in UK' test.

If you do the 'ESOL level 3' course (without the citizenship component) you will still have to do the 'Life in UK' test.

Wife passed the test today at the first attempt, i bought the home office book from Amazon along with a practice tests book which has proved invaluable. She has been revising hard but well worth it, she is also doing the English course at college for the qualification, but doing the test is a lot quicker if your wife has the time to revise and of course if you have the time to help, it took me ages actually decifering the book into phrases sentences that the wife understood.

Pete,

I will reiterate because the couple of posts above seem to be at odds with what I have said.

Firstly to understand her position as you need to find out exactly what course she is attending and whether she has to take an exam at the end

The following is a quote from the teaching materials regarding citizenship courses.

1) Q: Do all citizenship applicants have to do a Life in the UK Test?

A: Not all citizenship applicants will need to do the Life in the UK Test.

All would-be citizens whose English is considered to be at or above E3 (ie who would be assessed as needing to work towards L1 or above that level) will need to do the Life in the UK Test once it is available. Passing the test will mean the candidate is deemed to have also met the language requirements for naturalisation and no other proof of language proficiency will be required.

All would-be citizens whose English is considered to be below E3 must take a Skills for Life ESOL qualification, at the appropriate Entry level for them, in speaking and listening. They should have studied for this qualification in an ESOL class using a citizenship context.

I will give you the following example of my wife. She has not passed any English exam at Esol level (but she can speak and write already to a decent level). She is on a 12 week course, 3 hours per week. They discuss skills for life material similar to chapters in the much talked life in the UK book. Attendance is very important, you cannot miss more than two lessons. At the end of the course she gets her certificate without having to take any form of exam. This is the equivalent of passing the 'life in the uk test'.

I hope this clarifies for you.

I will reiterate because the couple of posts above seem to be at odds with what I have said.

Hi Vulture,

This is certainly at odd's to what I believe to be correct, but as I said in my post, I left it open to correction, if you are indeed correct, then I will amend my view's.

Good Luck

Moss

The regulations state that an applicant will need to have passed the Life in the UK test or have attended and 'completed' a combined ESOL/Citizenship course.

How one shows that one has 'completed' the course seems unclear. By passing an exam, or merely receiving a letter from the college confirming that the course has been completed satisfactorily? On another forum some members say that their Thai partner has been told they will be required to take a test, others that attending the course is enough. Maybe different providers have different systems?

If taking the combined course, check with the provider.