waiter or tending bar

16 hours ago, jvs said:

Are foreigners(farang)allowed to work as waiters or bartenders under the new rules?

I do not see where it says so in the list.

Any of the lists you can find will usually have a couple of broad categories, no service/retail work etc, they dont usually state specifically cannot be a waiter. 

57 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Ive seen foreigners working as waiters in restaurants in Pattaya many times 

Maybe someone that is actually Thai by immigration, descent or marriage etc, a Thai with one western parent and looks western. Even someone with a WP as manager can wait tables occasionally as a staff training exercise or as a translator etc. Lots of Russians have WPs as entertainers/hostess etc. Or they are just working illegally. I live and go out in Pattaya and have never seen a foreigner working as a waiter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe someone that is actually Thai by immigration, descent or marriage etc, a Thai with one western parent and looks western. Even someone with a WP as manager can wait tables occasionally as a staff training exercise or as a translator etc. Lots of Russians have WPs as entertainers/hostess etc. Or they are just working illegally. I live and go out in Pattaya and have never seen a foreigner working as a waiter.

I concur - I’ve never seen a Westerner working just  as a waiter , many of the big chains have a foreign GM or F&B manager . 

The reason i started this topic was some one was really really sure this was no longer a protected job under the new rules.

He is saying 'it does not say anywhere you can not be a waiter'.

It does allow general labor but i am sure that is only for the members of Asean.

What would be the exact rule that specifice this?

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

And from what i see they work hard.

It is not an enviable position - I have a Burmese brother in law who was doing construction in Bkk - not sure of wages but he was living in corrugated, small slum style housing while working there. 

I think you are looking for something way too specific... there probably is no rule that says you cannot work bringing som tom salad to construction workers during their lunch hour and if there were, it would not disavow bringing them other foods... I don't think they need to spell out every possible manual labor job... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

It is not an enviable position - I have a Burmese brother in law who was doing construction in Bkk - not sure of wages but he was living in corrugated, small slum style housing while working there. 

I think you are looking for something way too specific... there probably is no rule that says you cannot work bringing som tom salad to construction workers during their lunch hour and if there were, it would not disavow bringing them other foods... I don't think they need to spell out every possible manual labor job... 

I think wages are actually around a third or half of a Thai and as low as a quarter from what I was told. They eat , sleep , work in same place basically sleeping in tin shacks usually .

On 10/22/2018 at 3:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

That type of work is still not allowed.

Sunrise Tacos - Why are Filipinos & Indians allowed to work as waiters/waitresses? This is at one of the big shopping centres in BKK. Surely they'd get busted by immigration easily working in a busy shopping centre?

Edited by bbi1