Retirees living abroad are not expats? So what are they?

Jingthing

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

It's an antiquated term is expat.

The codgers do need a better reference. The coders are known as nomads, the fat lads are normally named bazza or Barry.

no codger or anybody else needs a special term of reference, if you must have a little box to put things in then expat is OK,it describes someone living for a long period of time in another country, although sometimes that doesn't do the situation justice, living for over 40 years in Germany connected me so intimately with the country that I became part of it without the citizenship, I had only lived in England for 20 years man and beast so although I have the citizenship I don't feel British, I have lived in Thailand 13 years, I don't feel like a natural part of the nation, no intimacy there but I can't imagine living anywhere else so I would describe myself as 'complicated'

An expatriate, according to the Oxford Dictionary, is someone who lives outside his/her (although the Oxford Dictionary uses the unfortunate "their") country and it includes "emigrant" as a synonym.  There really isn't anything in the derivation of the word to imply that the person thus described does or does not intend to return "home" or that he is or isn't employed ... as is illustrated in the Online Etymology Dictionary... although there was once an implication of being 'banished" and a modern sense that being an expatriate was by choice.

expatriate

NOUN

Pronunciation /ɪksˈpeɪtrɪət//ɛksˈpeɪtrɪət//ɛksˈpatrɪət//ɪksˈpatrɪət/

A retiree on a retirement extension might want to bear in mind they're here on a 'temporary stay'.
This is the heading on the form we all fill in ....

1996795145_TM7temporarystayheading.thumb.jpg.3707a442c9a0a0b371d5f056075f213c.jpg
This is true but in my experience the majority of retired economic migrants move abroad with the intention of probably not repatriating. Of course many still do. Keep in mind this isn't only about Thailand and its specific immigration law. It's about this now large global group of people retiring abroad to mostly lower cost nations. Thailand is but one of those nations.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Emigrant

Nah, an emigrant doesn't have to go all the shit we have to. I Emigrated from the Netherlands to Australia ,,, Never had to report or do an Extension of stay Every  year. Arrived in  AU that was it in 1972. Now an Aussie on paper an an Aussie Passport.Now Thailand and all it's Bullshit reporting and mountains of useless paperwork that could be avoided if they could use computers.

1 minute ago, zyphodb said:

Here in Thailand it's simple, we're all Aliens, as far as  the immigration office are concerned anyway......

well, they came up with that after walking around Pattaya late one evening a few years ago.

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is true but in my experience the majority of retired economic migrants move abroad with the intention of probably not repatriating. Of course many still do. Keep in mind this isn't only about Thailand and its specific immigration law. It's about this now large global group of people retiring abroad to mostly lower cost nations. Thailand is but one of those nations.

Not just retiring, global warming, meaning life in many parts of the world maybe unstainable in 50 years, in some places even now, wars and oppressive political systems, religious intolerance and ethnic cleansing (see Royinga in Myanmar or the Urighas in China) Economic refugees, see South America (who can be blamed for wanting to escape poverty) I read a quote once, ''you can kill a man with poor housing as effectively as using an axe. We are a bigger group than you think, another quote,''Lucky the man who has a strong door to close behind him.

Born and lived in the UK and travelled around the world for ten years in the RN, travelled and lived in Morocco, then Mexico and Guatamala, moved to the USA for forty years, then moved to Thailand. Have been to ninety three countries. Not really an expat, but I suppose a double expat with dual citizenship. But I consider myself a global citizen, which I think many of us are.

10 hours ago, habanero said:

If still paying taxes to your home country. Maintain bank accounts in your home country. I don't feel your really an ex-anything.

It's not ex-pat, it's expat. Without the hyphen, the 'ex' prefix means 'outside of' not 'former.' As it correctly states at the beginning of the article, expatriate simply means someone living outside their country of origin.

The fact that a particular individual has decided that she wants to redefine the word is totally irrelevant. That's not how the meanings of words are decided.

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's not ex-pat, it's expat. Without the hyphen, the 'ex' prefix means 'outside of' not 'former.' As it correctly states at the beginning of the article, expatriate simply means someone living outside their country of origin.

The fact that a particular individual has decided that she wants to redefine the word is totally irrelevant. That's not how the meanings of words are decided.

Grammarly did it. Argue with them????

10 minutes ago, habanero said:

Grammarly did it. Argue with them????

Grammarly did what? I'm not sure I follow. Grammarly does not provide definitions of words and it does not recognise the word 'ex-patriate' - probably because the word does not exist. It does however recognise the word expatriate as a correct spelling.

17 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

It's an antiquated term is expat.

The codgers do need a better reference. The coders are known as nomads, the fat lads are normally named bazza or Barry.

A romantic term, perhaps.

Expat.

Today, the image is tarnished - reflective of the trash that has been exposed. 

Read all 6 pages. Still don't know what I should call myself as far as my status in Thailand is concerned.
I think I will stay with basics.

Was never addressed by a Bar Lady as mister "Expat, mister Immigrant or mister Refugee". They address me with "Hello sexy man". I am perfectly content with this status description.

BTW: If one would ask a Thai the same question, the reply would probably be: "YOU THINK TOO MUCH".
Cheers.

Read all 6 pages. Still don't know what I should call myself as far as my status in Thailand is concerned.
I think I will stay with basics.

Was never addressed by a Bar Lady as mister "Expat, mister Immigrant or mister Refugee". They address me with "Hello sexy man". I am perfectly content with this status description.

BTW: If one would ask a Thai the same question, the reply would probably be: "YOU THINK TOO MUCH".
Cheers.
Yes but we're not Thai and never will be which is kind of the point.

A romantic term, perhaps.
Expat.

Today, the image is tarnished - reflective of the trash that has been exposed. 
I think to more educated people it conjures up images of glamor but to many ignoramuses its synonymous with traitor. Love it or leave it?

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Grammarly did what? I'm not sure I follow. Grammarly does not provide definitions of words and it does not recognise the word 'ex-patriate' - probably because the word does not exist. It does however recognise the word expatriate as a correct spelling.

As English is not my first language, I see that this forum is blessed to have language police such as you. 

By the way it is spelled "recognize".

1 minute ago, habanero said:

As English is not my first language, I see that this forum is blessed to have language police such as you. 

By the way it is spelled "recognize".

No, it is not spelt wrong. English English does not use the letter 'Z' in most words, unlike American English. 

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'd like people to consider the point I made before about the large class of westerners that is choosing to retire abroad because if they didn't, they could not afford to retire in their home countries AT ALL. Or perhaps they could but without any dignity or affordable pleasures. Expat has kind of a glamorous connotation. Moving abroad because of harsh economic realities might be an adventure, but it's not what most people think of as glamorous. It think we need a new word. Again, I think this class is a variation of economic refugee. But because this class is mostly white and mostly from "rich" nations, people are programmed to use the rich white people's word -- EXPAT. 

Strangely enough, economics are why I'd stay in the U.S. for retirement-- I assume social programs are out the window when you don't live in the country (and with the cost of living I don't see how anyone can manage to save enough, forget if you need a lot of healthcare or nursing help which can cost 7-12k+ *a month*; "the market" sure hasn't done it for me so far for that million bucks they promise I'll have saved by age {whatever} if only I faithfully put money away {and we're not talking 5 bucks a month, here} and I don't anticipate being able to retire, in any country, until declining health that makes me literally unable to work forces me to do so), so in Thailand when the money runs out or I need nursing home care, there's no safety net of Medicare/Medicaid and other social programs.

Archived