Deputy national police chief orders Phuket officers to ramp up their efforts

webfact

Deputy national police chief orders Phuket officers to ramp up their efforts

By The Phuket News

1540271825_1-org.jpg

Royal Thai Police Deputy Commissioner Pol Gen Chalermkiat Srivorakhan (2nd from left) arrived in Phuket yesterday to hand down his mandate. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Royal Thai Police Deputy Commissioner Pol Gen Chalermkiat Srivorakhan yesterday in Phuket handed down a slew of orders for police in major tourism destinations in the South to improve their crime-fighting efforts, including cracking down on entertainment venues staying open past legal closing times in the fight against drugs.

The Deputy national police chief arrived in Phuket yesterday (Oct 22) to hand down in person his orders at the Region 8 Police headquarters in Tha Chatchai, at the northern end of the island.

Gen Chalermkiat ordered all police to ramp up all aspects of their crime prevention and suppression efforts, to improve their handling of traffic issues, to make more effort to arrest suspects still wanted on outstanding warrants – and, of course, to improve tourists’ confidence in visiting their re

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/deputy-national-police-chief-orders-phuket-officers-to-ramp-up-their-efforts-69074.php#Slw3VB87uTDck3RH.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-10-23

OMG! They all have parachute insignia. Must have been a qualifying mass jumping off the office desk. ????

Then send a junior officer down to Khao San Rd with some baht to buy the insignia. Followed by a passing out parade. WOW! That will impress the hoi polloi.

Sheesh.

(heads up - acerbic comment) 

Not too hard to "ramp" something up when you are starting from a zero base.

I am appalled at the lack of policing here and I will cite a couple of instances I have noticed over the past week.......

A policeman on his motorbike had stopped at the traffic lights outside of the hospital in Patong and alongside of him were five or six Thai people and one farang who were sitting there without helmets. Did he do anything about them; no, just looked at them and drove off!

There was a police checkpoint just a couple of days ago in Nanai road, and it was all set up with police standing on both sides of the road with cones in the middle and there would have to have been between six and eight of them standing around. 

I, complete with my crash helmet and licence was sure to be all right if I was stopped, but I wasn't, and at least three Thais in front of me, all without crash helmets were allowed to go through?? I don't know whether they were waiting for a specific vehicle, but as they were doing nothing, then surely they could have enforced the law?

Unfortunately this behaviour is ingrained and this has been repeated so many times here as to be absolutely unbelievable...………….they make the Keystone Cops look like super-heroes!

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

I am appalled at the lack of policing here and I will cite a couple of instances I have noticed over the past week.......

A policeman on his motorbike had stopped at the traffic lights outside of the hospital in Patong and alongside of him were five or six Thai people and one farang who were sitting there without helmets. Did he do anything about them; no, just looked at them and drove off!

There was a police checkpoint just a couple of days ago in Nanai road, and it was all set up with police standing on both sides of the road with cones in the middle and there would have to have been between six and eight of them standing around. 

I, complete with my crash helmet and licence was sure to be all right if I was stopped, but I wasn't, and at least three Thais in front of me, all without crash helmets were allowed to go through?? I don't know whether they were waiting for a specific vehicle, but as they were doing nothing, then surely they could have enforced the law?

Unfortunately this behaviour is ingrained and this has been repeated so many times here as to be absolutely unbelievable...………….they make the Keystone Cops look like super-heroes!

Nice to see one Phuketian contributing to the thread!

Always baffles me when people who are completely unaffected by a story feel the need to comment.

On 10/24/2018 at 6:51 AM, xylophone said:

Yet another reason why a supposedly idyllic place suddenly raises the question: <deleted> am I doing here? And to those who feel that all of this is simply "par for the course", sorry...when I go on vacation/ holiday I don't need all of this extraneous BS. For some, no big deal...for others a nuisance that  ruins their holiday.

Archived