Bangkok Bank to return Bt1.75 million its ex-employee stole from customers

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Going back about ten years, I discovered a series of withdrawals at ATMs in places where I never visited.  When I spoke to the manager he could barely manage a flicker of interest.  He put it down to sharing my PIN with my girlfriend.  Case closed.

Not sure whether we're talking about ATM fraud in this instance, though. Strikes me as more a case of fraudulent transactions being perpetrated by a bent bank employee by hacking into certain accounts from her desktop PC.

9 hours ago, lanista said:

Obviously this is one  of the major drawbacks for farangs depositing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

If an employee at your branch falls into debt or a member of her family does  your account will be first cab off the rank.

And the 800k route will, of course, be eventually foisted on all us Brit retirees as a result of our bloody Embassy's decision to discontinue issuing income confirmation letters in a couple of months time, whether we like it or not (and I most certainly do not solely on account of the lax banking security procedures highlighted in this thread)!

10 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Nice to hear its been stopped but alarming that she was only caught by customer complaints. If this person found a way to get access to customer accounts so could many others. Bangkok Bank has work to do to close this loophole.

Don't expect this action to come about, as it makes too much practical and security sense. 

The bottom line: financial institutions don't exist to service us in a familial manner.

Archived