Bangkok police chiefs mount joint effort on traffic woes

webfact

Bangkok police chiefs mount joint effort on traffic woes

By The Nation

07f0529786281b895c6c110cd3690136.jpeg

Commanders of 88 Bangkok police stations have been assigned difficult homework – untangle the traffic snarls in their jurisdictions.

The orders came from Pol Maj Gen Jirasan Kaewsaeng-ek, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau in charge of traffic affairs, and he’s expecting proposals on his desk by the end of this month.

Jirasen said he has distributed forms for the station chiefs to fill out, detailing their local traffic issues both during and outside rush hours and ideas for resolving them.

He said he would study the proposals and try to devise a comprehensive plan for all of Bangkok.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30357070

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-24

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said he would study the proposals and try to devise a comprehensive plan for all of Bangkok.

Really? Well Good Luck with that!

Given the input will be coming from station chiefs who have been totally unable to do anything about it, even locally, the grand plan for all of Bangkok seems destined to fail horribly. Gave me a good laugh though.

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Really? Well Good Luck with that!

Given the input will be coming from station chiefs who have been totally unable to do anything about it, even locally, the grand plan for all of Bangkok seems destined to fail horribly. Gave me a good laugh though.

The station chief is unable to build new roads or a better serving mass train/bus system which actually gets people off the roads, which is really what the problem is all about.

Years of mass building condo's, apartments, hotels, shopping malls without ever a thought of how the ever increasing population is going to move around... roads are an afterthought the same as parking areas.

The city planning chiefs are the ones to blame !!!!

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The station chief is unable to build new roads or a better serving mass train/bus system which actually gets people off the roads, which is really what the problem is all about.

Years of mass building condo's, apartments, hotels, shopping malls without ever a thought of how the ever increasing population is going to move around... roads are an afterthought the same as parking areas.

The city planning chiefs are the ones to blame !!!!

Exactly!  But I dont think there ever was , is, or will be any real planning. As we all know its not a Thai concept. As long as a person is raking in money all looks good with the world.

Too late to do much about it now but the concept of u-turns making everyone drive a kilometre or more past the junction they need and another kilometre back to it keeping their vehicles on the road for longer than necessary exacerbates the problem.  Not to mention the danger and queues caused by having to make these turns from and across the 'fast' lanes.  

Traffic lights stuck on red for over 2 minutes at a time and running 4 directions independently at each crossroad rather than using 2 way lights with right filters only makes it worse.

Meanwhile, in Ekkamai there is a brand new mall opening in a few weeks - 7 floors - and across the road three towers with 140 floors of apartments being built. Within 2km there are at least 10 more towers of 40 floors or more going up, and at the top of the street a new 44 floor tower opens anytime now – and zero has been done to ease the traffic nightmare that already exists on a street that can be gridlocked at midnight on a Monday.

Town planning = zip. 

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

Solution:

ask Elon Musk to make a flying car and then distribute the traffic snarls vertically, problem solved. 20 year plan.

What about all the falling debris and bodies from the air crashes !!!!!

Beware!!! If they can solve the traffic jam it will only come back. Right!!! People riding bikes and taking BTS will stop doing that and drive their cars since the traffic problem has been fixed. In other words, major cities can never fix the problem…hummmm…I think that might be right.  

My thoughts go back to Washington, DC. They have (probably) top 10 worse traffic in the world. They seem unable or unwilling to solve the problem...good luck Bangkok?

DC #1 problem is 'very limited parking' at mass transit stations. Secondly, if you can find a parking space it is way too expensive. Added to that the cost of the Metro transit train is very high. I drove my car to work through horrible conditions...it was cheaper…a lot cheaper.

I would totally focus on BTS and MRT ridership. Encourage tourist to take these alternative modes of transportation but it more than that.

Why not more trains and more cars per train. The cost of the train seems to be ok. Is there adequate parking at stations more than 10 (?) miles from the city?

Why does anyone drive their cars into the city? Give them a valid alternative considering cost, heat, convenience, etc.

If they still drive into the city then let them sit. Let them sit in traffic. It is their problem...right?

Finally, some major USA cities found a solution by eliminating right hand turns (left hand in USA). It is wrong to have only a green light for only one of the 4 lanes at an intersection. Make people either turn left or go straight. TO go to the right, make them go straight then … best case but more expensive…have fly overs to get them on the other side so they can then take a left turn. They can also be forced to go left then fly over the other lane send then go straight. P.S. fly over bridges are not that expensive.

Archived