Retirement extension home visit.

On 10th Oct I went along to Sri Ratcha and renewed my retirement extension, 4th consecutive after changing from marriage, all very straightforward. This afternoon out of the blue my wife had a phone call from immigration saying they wanted to do a home visit. She told them we were off to Malaysia at the weekend for a week and they said they would be in touch at a later date, have to wait and see what transpires but certainly a change in policy.

5 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

good friend did his retirement extension last month in Phuket, same as he has done for years,

they actually said, " ok, lets go visit ur house" and they followed him out to it..

did they say this before or after giving your friend an extension - the OP's case was after, which makes me think that it might have been a random check unrelated to the extension and its type.

16 hours ago, swissie said:

More and more home visits for folks with "marriage-visas". But retirement extensions? What would they want to check-out on location concerning a guy with a retirement extension?

They told my wife on the phone they were checking that people actually lived at the address provided.

15 hours ago, arithai12 said:

did they say this before or after giving your friend an extension - the OP's case was after, which makes me think that it might have been a random check unrelated to the extension and its type.

I don't think it was random with respect to type, possibly a random selection of applicants. I forgot to mention that also for for the first time I was asked for a map when doing a retirement extension,the office was almost empty at the time so I didn't see if anyone else was asked for a map. I remember when doing a marriage extension a few years back that I had a google maps version rejected, they said it must be hand drawn so immigration can find the house.

I've had to draw a map of how to find my house for the past two years, when I did my retirement extension, but so far, no visit. I do have a yellow tambien baan though, (which our village head man went with me to get, he signed to say that I DID live at my address), so perhaps that makes a difference ?

Edited by MrMuddle
additional information added

17 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I'm the one it happened to.  I think they have just been told to randomly check people coming in for visa renewals to verify that their registered address is where they are actually living.  They did the same for 2 other people there for visa renewal at the same time and I have heard other people say the same happened to them.  Maybe depends on how busy they are.    They visited the house, took photo together with me in front of the house pointing to the house number, went inside, chatted with my wife asking about the house cost and took photos together with me sitting in Living Room.  Didn't seem intimidating at all.  They were just verifying I really lived there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1