The 800'000 Bht obstacle

swissie

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, Lacessit said:
I'm interested in the screening tests you would like them to apply.

For Aholes that's easy, for starters have a look through this forum to pick out a high number, secondly a quick interview the Ahole will reveal themselves usually within a minute

You must be a quick study. I've known people on who on first impression were friendly and plausible, later turned out to be Aholes. And a couple who were the opposite, became good friends.

Thai Visa forum members are anonymous. I occasionally wonder if some that present as Aholes here are far more pleasant in the flesh.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Er - did I say I was buying options?  I sell covered calls. When did I ask you to feel sorry for anyone? Settle down.

You wrote, " I had a friend ( deceased now ) who lost 2.7 million AUD selling puts on the banks. He reckoned it was money for jam."  I thought I was supposed to feel sorry for him.  I guess you were telling me he was stupid.  Ok, I missed that. 

Edited by marcusarelus

9 hours ago, Thian said:

Well personally i wished i could give my money to a charity i choose myself, don't need any leftwing political parties to do that for me.

My point was that this Swiss seems to have forgotten why Swiss is more rich than it's neighbours, it's because they were the bankers from the underworld of their neighbours.

Not only from producing watches (which nobody needs these days with cellphones).

My thai friends are in Geneva right now, i hope they get a lot of snow this weekend, meters of it hahaha so they know how cool that is.

it's quite entertaining to read pure rubbish on a weekend. :smile:

• Like 1

To say that the people who don’t have/spend ฿65,000 per month aren’t really helping the economy, does not consider the velocity of money (which in itself is somewhat nebulous) and also that the money (regardless of the amount) is coming in from outside the country.

I wish I never got a degree in economics.  It makes me think too much.

• Haha 2

You must be a quick study. I've known people on who on first impression were friendly and plausible, later turned out to be Aholes. And a couple who were the opposite, became good friends.
Thai Visa forum members are anonymous. I occasionally wonder if some that present as Aholes here are far more pleasant in the flesh.
If guys reveal straight away they are Aholes then its too late, you've seen it and can't unsee it, they are just trying to hide it
  • Like 1

It’s a bit mean spirited to berate anyone for not being able to deposit 800,000 Baht. Many people in the west don’t have that cash readily at hand. If someone is living here and paying their way due to a small but regular pension then good luck to them, Thailand still benefits from their expenditure and they are not taking from the state.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

It’s a bit mean spirited to berate anyone for not being able to deposit 800,000 Baht. Many people in the west don’t have that cash readily at hand. If someone is living here and paying their way due to a small but regular pension then good luck to them, Thailand still benefits from their expenditure and they are not taking from the state.

People in the West who don't have cash normally stay in the West where they have free health care and a support system. 

13 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

If pensioners over 50 cannot afford this amount to remain in the country, then I have to ask; what have they been doing all their lives?

it reminds me of this publicist friend of former president Sarkozy who answered a journalist about his Rolex watch and said that "if you cant afford a Rolex at 50 then you missed your life" 

there must be a load of loosers, in and outside Thailand....

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

People in the West who don't have cash normally stay in the West where they have free health care and a support system. 

Who cares? If someone has found a satisfying life in Thailand and they are paying their way on a pension what’s the problem? You can buy health insurance. If they are not leaching from the state there’s no issue.

• Like 2

it reminds me of this publicist friend of former president Sarkozy who answered a journalist about his Rolex watch and said that "if you cant afford a Rolex at 50 then you missed your life" 

There's a lot of tw*ts with rolexes but they have money (maybe) so that's ok

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Who cares? If someone has found a satisfying life in Thailand and they are paying their way on a pension what’s the problem? You can buy health insurance. If they are not leaching from the state there’s no issue.

Apparently Thai Immigration cares.  Who else matters?

10 minutes ago, federico said:

How interesting a person should value their life on the basis of Rolex ownership. Shallow as a puddle of mud.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Good post, swissie and my thoughts exactly.

The Thai government will welcome westerners if they feel are going to be of benefit to the country, one being, they want their money invested in Thailand and not abroad. Thailand is not a charitable kingdom to accommodate cheap charlies that are considered poor in their own countries that owes them a better quality lifestyle. To be given something, one has to give something back in return. 

Personally, I welcome this new policy by the embassies that will help bring better quality expats into the country that can pay their way.

As you rightly say swissie, 24000USD or £19000 is hardly a fortune these days. If pensioners over 50 cannot afford this amount to remain in the country, then I have to ask; what have they been doing all their lives?

But isnt the money in the bank better in the pocket to spend. Im sure nobody wants 800000 thousand stuck in a bank in their retirement years . What happens to the money should the person die who my be single.. And I wander how many people this has happened to

• Confused 1

Just now, Thian said:

That's too easy mate...

Then you tell us what made swiss rich and why so many tax-avoiders had accounts there.

the tax-avoiders made Swiss bankers and themselves rich but the ordinary Swiss citizen did not profit.

you should educate yourself and take a look what Switzerland exports. it's high quality machinery and sophisticated weapon systems besides a little chocolate and chees. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
19 minutes ago, federico said:

How interesting a person should value their life on the basis of Rolex ownership. Shallow as a puddle of mud.

being able to afford a Rolex before or at age 50 does not necessarily mean one has to own one.

15 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Right and wrong.

All my income sources emanate from the UK legally as pensions. I probably do spend more money within the local community then the locals do. But in return I get to live cheaper and have a better quality lifestyle than if living in the UK on the same income. So it`s a give and take relationship between me and Thailand. I appreciate this and consider having to have 800000 baht in a Thai bank account as a bargain so I can enjoy my lifestyle here. It seems those who begrudge this are expecting everything laid on for free as if the world owes them a living and certain quality of life. We pay our money and only receive what we pay for.

That`s life, welcome to the reality.

4 hours ago, thaikahuna said:

To be sure, $24K USD is not a fortune in the grand scheme of things. That said, there is a fair portion of the ex-pat community that do have the minimum required and then some each month. Many others like me are not liquid enough to be able to plunk 800K THB in a Thai bank for the sole purpose of letting sit to qualify for a visa. I am happy to show where I bring in over 50K THB monthly to my Thai bank account by direct deposit. I also do international wire transfer and can show at least another 15K THB in credit card receipts each month.

The whole issue at this juncture is for the people running the immigration department to tell us not just what they want but how they want it and what verification form(s) will be accepted.

It is all so simple. If you want to live in Thailand put TB800k in a bank account. Otherwise you are here illegally under the new rules it would seem. Go and live somewhere else. You an be the richest man in the world, but to qualify to live in Thailand they require TB800k. Why is this beyond anyone's comprehension?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poohy said:

Oh God another "leave if you dont like it snowflake". No i dont need any help to leave

Honestly if you dont think you need value for your money you have been in Thailand to long or are Thai! 

i have a nice house in the countryside and by the beach just means i will spend 6 months in UK eating real food and drinking real beer and 6 here now I have been planning this for while so not a big deal.

I will however miss my dogs and i suppose the wife????

Misused metaphor much? Snowflakes melt and fade away, ie. THEY go home.

Either way, since you appear to be possibly one of those lucky winterbirds with a foot firmly albeit with one possibly unhappily, placed in two continents so my previous, glib dismissal doesn't apply. I am with you on keeping a sense of reality by not endlessly cooping oneself up in this blighted realm. Also firmly with you on the food and the overall taste, smell and sight of the mother country. The complete ambiance of your real home. Thailand is not my home which makes it very easy not to pretend that I love it.

Dogs and wives are also relatively easy to acquire here, the latter usually on quite acceptable short-term leases. I mean you do sometimes need someone else to exercise those dogs, don't you?

10 hours ago, wgdanson said:

But if that 800,000 is 'stuck' in a Thai bank, it is not being used for the benefit of normal Thais, only for the investors who use that money to gain profit. Surely if someone deposits 65k a month and then spends some or all of it down the pub, on tom yam for the missis, or whatever, the country is benefiting more.

Just because the farang depositor can't touch it doesn't mean that the Thai bank shareholders, Thai businesses and Thai investors can't use it.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Just because the farang depositor can't touch it doesn't mean that the Thai bank shareholders, Thai businesses and Thai investors can't use it.

But if that 800,000 is 'stuck' in a Thai bank, it is not being used for the benefit of normal Thais, only for the investors who use that money to gain profit