Chang dao - Chang rai ?

songhklasid

On motorbike , going from sankhaemphang ( Chiang Mai) to Chiang rai via Chiang dao,my question, what distance Chiang dao to Chiang rai routes 107, then 109 at chai Prakan, anyone done this route, I was wondering how much time to allow ?

cheers songhklasid, I be feeling like a few Chang’s at the end of it ! Ha ha 

4 hours ago, songhklasid said:

Thanks, route 109 winding thru the mountains I guess, is good road .?

From memory, there are a couple of rough bits at the mountain tops for a car. Some road surface collapsing on the verges. Easy enough to dodge on a bike.

If you have time and want to do some sightseeing, go north from Chang Dao up to Doi Angthang on 1178/1340. Then instead of cutting across 107, head north along the 1089 and detour to Mae Salong before coming back to Chiang Rai on the 1089 and 1. 

Thanks for that! Going on a tour next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

From Chiang Rai try heading towards Doi Tung, it may not be your thing to want to visit the Queens Botancial Gardens but because of their location the ones at Doi Tung are very special. From there, take the scenic route to Mae Sai that runs along the border with Myanmar, 22 kms along a ridge with army outposts at both ends, an interesting and unique ride with brilliant views.

• Like 1

A word of warning about Ang Khang, taking route 1178==1340 is a very nice ride, certainly on the bike and normally after Ang Khang one would take the 1249 with the steep descent to pick up the main roads 107/1089 to continue to CR or Mae Salong--Doi Tung--Border road to Mae Sai etc. which is very nice indeed.
But as also reported here on TV the 1249 has been closed since end of July and will be closed far into the new year.

So you have to go back the same way and the first option is at the Sinchai village where a small road brings you direction Chai Prakan.

Was up there a couple of weeks ago and wanted to take the small border road north out of Ang Khang to the village of Nor Lae and a very steep descent ultimately ending on the Fang bypass, but the military closed it, only for locals and workers. I could not convince the conscript manning the checkpoint that he could look the other way a bit, nor induce in him the sense that he felt a sudden urge to go to the toilet.

He phoned to his boss if he could make an exception, but no way.

Anyway on the bike (I hope a bit more than a wave) there are many interesting roads to discover up north, so have fun !!

• Like 1

I know the border road you speak of; real intrepid traveller country. That's an inconvenience regards 1249. Must admit, haven't been up that way in a few years - being relocated in the land of nod 'n all. ????

Enjoy your trips, chaps. You don't know how lucky you are to jump on a bike - even a wave - and explore the North. When one no longer has the option, it is a killer. 

• Like 1