TransferWise - new developments?

Hello,

It used to be (I read here) that TransferWise deposits couldn't be declared as foreign deposits, so therefore you could not transfer the money out of the country again when/if it was desired.

Were there any changes to that recently?

I am thinking of transferring a few 100thousand TBH from my Euro account to my Bangkok bank account, but would like to get the money out again.

I am not that familiar with the procedures:

I heard you get some kind of letter from your bank that the money comes from a foreign source. Is that what you mean?

Also what would be the purpose to claim when initiating a transfer, if you want to use the money flexibly, that means as well as for living expenses as well as for the 800.000 tbh proof needed for non oa extension.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

My Transferwise transfers get FTT (Foreign Telegraphic Transfer) prefix in my Bangkok bank. Proof enough?

As I stated in another thread, my Bangkok Bank does assign a FTT code to the incoming deopsit. But my TMB bank (No Fixed Account) does not. So best check before hand.

So I received my tw money in my savings account now.

How can I see/check that it is an FTT transfer?

In my transaction details it says International Transfer AUTO/DEBIT CREDIT, is that enough?

You can see it in your passbook. All transfers i made by transferwise from my account here in germany to my account at bangkok bank have the FTT code

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Great, it works!

The account code in my savings account passbook also shows "FTT".

Since you said it didn't show in the fixed account of your other bank, I made the transfer first to my savings account.

Then immediately after receiving the money I was able to transfer it to my fixed account via the Bangkok Bank app.

I can see that many TW users will be opening up an account with Bangkok Bank given the upcoming possibility that details contained in bank books will be used as evidence that credits originated from outside Thailand. That is my current intention.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:54 PM, Barley said:

Great, it works!

The account code in my savings account passbook also shows "FTT".

Since you said it didn't show in the fixed account of your other bank, I made the transfer first to my savings account.

Then immediately after receiving the money I was able to transfer it to my fixed account via the Bangkok Bank app.

stupid question but what is savings vs fixed account?  I'm  not familiar with those terms. 

Savings account in Thailand is more like a checking account but without the checks. :)

Meaning you can receive deposits and make payments from/to other people accounts anywhere.

Fixed account you will get a fixed rate of interest for an agreed amount of time, like 3, 6, or 12 months after which those term deposits will automatically roll over, unless you show up in person at the bank. This is not as bad as it sounds, since you can terminate the current term at any time, losing the interest for the current term agreement only. Outgoing payments are NOT possible for this account.