Income Affidavit Denied in Phuket

And of course the Los Angeles Consulate has many more stupid requirements than the Thai Embassy in Washington DC! Seems like they are a bit more reasonable, thought rather vague as to their exact requirements, like the criminal record.

Non-Immigrant Category “O-A”

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility:

1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
3. Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence
4. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
5. Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

Validity of a visa: multiple entries

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance***

Required Documents: (Required 2 sets; 1 original and 1 copy)

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must be valid for at least 18 months    and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. Visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only) (Download)
3. Addition Application form (Download)
4. Medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14(B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more than three months (Download)
5. Two photo’s passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
6. Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required
7.  Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorizer’s signature is unacceptable )

In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence

Processing time : (with completed documents)
In person   5 business days
By mail      minimum 15 business days

***We do not offer expedited service***

Visa Processing Fees: $200 USD per application.

Payable in money order (only) made payable to “Royal Thai Embassy”.
NO CASH, PERSONAL and BUSINESS CHECKS ACCEPTED

*** The fee is not refundable in any cases***

Submitting application:

1.In person

between 9am.-12pm. , no appointment needed
Consular Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.
Washington,D.C 20008-1623

2.by mail

application must include self-addressed return envelope only by these following mail service

“USPS (US Postal Service) Express Mail” use only flat rate mailing envelope with $24.70 postage stamp (Metered stamps will not be accepted)

Mailing address:
Consular Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.

***The Royal Thai Embassy do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss***

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom:
Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

At the end of the 90-day stay , the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand . The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.

*** Warning of overstay *** (please click)

Foreigner may report to the competent authority by post and should provide the following:
– A report form (Tor Mor 47)
– A copy of passport pages showing the foreigner’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp
– A copy of the previous receipt of acknowledgement.
– A self-addressed envelope with postage affixed. Such documents must be sent to the Office of the Immigration Bureau, SoiSuanPlu, South SathornRoad ,Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120, and must be submitted 7 days before the end of every 90-day period. A receipt of acknowledgement will be given and should be used for future correspondence.

Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000.- Baht or an income certificate plus a deposit account showing a total amount of not less than 800,000.- Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretion of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirements.

Please note Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application without having to provide reason.

Consular
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tel. (202) 640-5658 / (202) 640-1439
Fax. (202) 459-9536
Email: [email protected]

I am due to apply for extension based on marriage from NON 'O' in about a months time at Phuket Immigration I don't have a Thai bank account, I simply draw from my UK account 2/3 times each month, so I am using the 40k in the bank for 3 months method, and taking bank statements with me as well as a letter from the British embassy.

Does anyone have any recent experience using this method, and come across any issues?.

PST.

On 11/6/2018 at 2:38 AM, moontang said:

Anyone can fill out a tax form...anyone can print out w2...there would be no guarantee that you actually filed that version, either.

Tax returns have all of one's income sources. 1099, 1099 int, properties, gains and losses. If it is accepted by the US IRS and my CA State Government, why not the Thai Government. It's better than me swearing this is true and correct, right? Or why is my US bank statement good at the Thai Embassy and consulate, but not at Thai Immigration? It's not like I can falsify my bank records.

Edited by Jimi007

6 minutes ago, PST said:

I am due to apply for extension based on marriage from NON 'O' in about a months time at Phuket Immigration I don't have a Thai bank account, I simply draw from my UK account 2/3 times each month, so I am using the 40k in the bank for 3 months method, and taking bank statements with me as well as a letter from the British embassy.

Does anyone have any recent experience using this method, and come across any issues?.

PST.

I would send a email to the Phuket Immigration Volunteers ( [email protected] ) as they have the latest information.

Specially due to the current problems with using the income certificate from the UK embassy.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PST said:

The marriage extension financial requirements are:

40,000b per month of INCOME as verified by an Embassy income letter and whatever other related documents Phuket Immigration may demand,

OR

400,000 baht in a Thai bank account on deposit at least 3 months prior to your application, documented by a letter from your Thai bank and your bank book.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

Tax returns have all of one's income sources. 1099, 1099 int, properties, gains and losses. If it is accepted by the US IRS and my CA State Government, why not the Thai Government. It's better than me swearing this is true and correct, right? Or why is my US bank statement good at the Thai Embassy and consulate, but not at Thai Immigration? It's not like I can falsify my bank records.

The Embassy cant expect funds to be here before you are..and you have 20 months+ to bring the funds over.  Are TI suppose to understand tax forms from every country?  Would you like to pay to have it translated?  and each page notarized and stamped?  Didi it also occur to you that you are using your disability to get free health services and then using them to provide proof that you are in good physical health?

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

40,000b per month of INCOME as verified by an Embassy income letter and whatever other related documents Phuket Immigration may demand,

OR

400,000 baht in a Thai bank account on deposit at least 3 months prior to your application, documented by a letter from your Thai bank and your bank book.

Thanks, yes, I have those documents already, I was just wondering if anyone had been to Phuket immigration recently and had the income letter denied, and asked for any other 'new' documents

2 minutes ago, PST said:

Thanks, yes, I have those documents already, I was just wondering if anyone had been to Phuket immigration recently and had the income letter denied, and asked for any other 'new' documents

I mentioned the actual requirements because, in your prior post, you made reference to....

" so I am using the 40k in the bank for 3 months method."

There is no such financial method as what you wrote.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I mentioned the actual requirements because, in your prior post, you made reference to....

" so I am using the 40k in the bank for 3 months method."

There is no such financial method as what you wrote.

I meant alongside the letter from the embassy to show my income is 40k per month, I will take bank statements also as proof.

The point I am trying to make is whether anyone has had any recent experience doing this with the income letter since the announcement was made that the embassy would stop issuing the letter, and were they asked for proof

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

OR

Isn't it 2 months for a marriage extension (3 months for retirement) ?

23 hours ago, moontang said:

The Embassy cant expect funds to be here before you are..and you have 20 months+ to bring the funds over.  Are TI suppose to understand tax forms from every country?  Would you like to pay to have it translated?  and each page notarized and stamped?  Didi it also occur to you that you are using your disability to get free health services and then using them to provide proof that you are in good physical health?

Do you realize you don't know anything about the law? Or the health certificate as I guess you never got one. My healthcare isn't free, I pay about $500 a month. Why don't you refrain from commenting, as you appear to be clueless on the subject. 

1 hour ago, Jimi007 said:

Do you realize you don't know anything about the law? Or the health certificate as I guess you never got one. My healthcare isn't free, I pay about $500 a month. Why don't you refrain from commenting, as you appear to be clueless on the subject. 

You said it was free earlier...the health certificate requires a signature that you are in good mental and physical condition, but since I have met way too many people here, mostly from California, on SSDI, it must not have mattered..thankfully, the loophole will be closed on the high percentage with a liar letter and no savings.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:01 PM, moontang said:

You said it was free earlier...the health certificate requires a signature that you are in good mental and physical condition, but since I have met way too many people here, mostly from California, on SSDI, it must not have mattered..thankfully, the loophole will be closed on the high percentage with a liar letter and no savings.

It's free as I have full coverage medical insurance here in the US. Well I guess it's not exactly free. I have to pay for the insurance, but not for an office visit. My disability is due to a total hip replacement and at my age I could not do my customary and normal work duties, so my union disability insurance kicked in. They applied for my SSDI as they could deduct that from what they had to pay me. My basic health is fine, but I can't walk for miles on end anymore around stadiums, arenas, convention centers and theatres with this piece of metal for my femur.

I still have more than the required income and savings in my US accounts. We'll see what happens after the first of the year. I have read the US Embassy is talking to the Thai Foreign Ministry about the situation. I would rather just do another extension in Thailand, but if I have to I will qualify for an O-A here in the USA from the Thai Embassy. And I still haven't figured out why the Los Angeles Thai Consulate requires 4 copies of everything, an original notarized and three copies of that. The Thai Embassy in Washington DC, only 2 copies, not notarized. I guess it's like every Immigration office in Thailand, they make up their own rules.

• Like 1

Some interesting update.

I'm told yesterday by Phuket Immigration that they will accept now the military pension in combination with the embassy affidavit or income certificate.

First they only accepted a government pension but as they realized that the military pension is also a government pension it is accepted.

I don't know yet what will happen when the embassy affidavits or income certificates are not issued anymore.

Also this is the situation at this stage and things can change on a short notice.

Therefore i would advise to get this embassy affidavit/income certificate if your extension is in the next 6 months.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, merijn said:

Therefore i would advise to get this embassy affidavit/income certificate if your extension is in the next 6 months.

In your talk with the IO there, did they specific mention that they will honor the income letters for the standard 6 month period after their issue date (meaning into 2019)?   Or are you just assuming they'll honor the standard 6 month period?

59 minutes ago, merijn said:

Some interesting update.

I'm told yesterday by Phuket Immigration that they will accept now the military pension in combination with the embassy affidavit or income certificate.

First they only accepted a government pension but as they realized that the military pension is also a government pension it is accepted.

I don't know yet what will happen when the embassy affidavits or income certificates are not issued anymore.

Also this is the situation at this stage and things can change on a short notice.

"Therefore i would advise to get this embassy affidavit/income certificate if your extension is in the next 6 months."

But only if your income is from govt. sources?

I'm not being pedantic but, as my pension income is entirely from company (or similar) schemes - this is an important point if Phuket Immigration (even now!) are only accepting govt. pensions in support of the embassy letter!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In your talk with the IO there, did they specific mention that they will honor the income letters for the standard 6 month period after their issue date (meaning into 2019)?   Or are you just assuming they'll honor the standard 6 month period?

According to the officer the normal 6 months validation period will be honored.

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Therefore i would advise to get this embassy affidavit/income certificate if your extension is in the next 6 months."

But only if your income is from govt. sources?

I'm not being pedantic but, as my pension income is entirely from company (or similar) schemes - this is an important point if Phuket Immigration (even now!) are only accepting govt. pensions in support of the embassy letter!

Only government pensions are accepted at this stage.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

jeez it goes from bad to worse, agents are gonna be dancing in the streets this coming year 

At least they accept the military pension now and not only the "direct" government pension as before.

I agree it's a small step but at least a small step forward for Phuket immigration.

I note that US Embassy has scheduled consular outreach to Phuket later this month,

I urge all US citizerns affected by this to show up and report the problems encountered to the US Embassy. they need to know that what was agreed to in their meeting with TI is nto what is in fact happening on the ground in many locations.

Date: November 29, 2018
Time:  12:00pm–3:00pm
Venue: Novotel Phuket Vintage Park, Novotel Phuket Resort
Address: 89 Rat-Uthid 200 Pee Road, Patong, Kathu, 83150 PHUKET THAILAND
Hotel phone:   +66 (0) 76 380 555   
Email: [email protected]  novotel.com  accorhotels.com

No appointment necessary, services are provided on a first come – first serve basis.

• Like 2

I planned to get the income affadavit notarized at the consular visit to Phuket later this month.I contacted the embassy to see if they will offer this service and they confirmed.They did not respond to my question as to Phuket immigration accepting the affadavit letter or if my non government pension letter confirming amount is enough to satisfy immigration.Do I have to apply in Phuket? I live on the island.Will my non government pension letter be ignored? 

PHUKET immigration confirmed today that for the embassies who are not effected, the embassy income certificate with income documentation can be used as normal for the next year. (no change compared to last years)

The effected countries (UK, USA, Australia) can use the affidavit/income certificate in combination with the government pension (including military) for the duration of the affidavit validation period of 6 months.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, merijn said:

PHUKET immigration confirmed today that for the embassies who are not effected, the embassy income certificate with income documentation can be used as normal for the next year. (no change compared to last years)

The effected countries (UK, USA, Australia) can use the affidavit/income certificate in combination with the government pension (including military) for the duration of the affidavit validation period of 6 months.

So until January 1 nothing changes for an American using an income affidavit at the Phuket office?