Cost me 5000 to extend my VISA for 2 weeks

The ordinary fine for not doing a TM-30 is 1600 Baht at that office, per prior reports.  I am surprised it was not 1600 at the TM-30 desk, then 1900 at the Tourist-extension-desk.  Did you pay 5000 all at once to one person?  If so, at which desk?

Either you, or the owner of where you stay, must do a new TM-30 report every time you move to a new location for 1-night plus - the law stating 24 hours to do so, but Jomtien generally allowing 3 days to report.  Best to ask for a printout as proof, if your landlord/hotel does this reporting online.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

They fined for you not being reported within 24 hours of arriving at your residence when you first entered the country.

The fine seems a bit excessive for the that report not being done. The max fine for an individual is 2000 baht under section 38 of the immigration act. But I suspect they did the fine under section 37 for not reporting your address within 48 hours which has a max fine of 5000 baht.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonBreadMan said:

Nope was 29 days having fun in Pattaay.... was one day before to make sure no problems, had a bad foot and could not walk, or would have looked at going to the boarder and back, done it many many times in the past.

My landlord in Udon gave me the original slip to keep in my pp....She had given me a copy, and the officer told me I needed the original at extension time.  And she correctly noted that was odd because she reported two foreigners on the same form..tough break for you...I always came with at least a 60, as that was well worth it compared to an extension.  5000?  Ouch!

Was at the desk to the left just before you go in, they started at 6000 but came down to 5000 when I said I would just go to the boarder to do it.

Last time I used them was 100 BHT for them to fill out the forms (I think not a lot anyway) so was happy to use again, not sure what it cost now days to do a VISA run, but takes up a day, and as I said with not being to good on my feet, paid and vowed to make sure not to happen again... Had the 99 BHT breakfast at Retox to cheer my self up and got tablets for my foot before getting bike taxi back home, 3 days of foot on ice and the tables got me better to at least hobble around (tendinitis)

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They fined for you not being reported within 24 hours of arriving at your residence when you first entered the country.

The fine seems a bit excessive for the that report not being done. The max fine for an individual is 2000 baht under section 38 of the immigration act. But I suspect they did the fine under section 37 for not reporting your address within 48 hours which has a max fine of 5000 baht.

Fine is just 1600 baht, he got ripped off by the agent outside.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

would that report require a TM28?

11 hours ago, JonBreadMan said:

Was at the desk to the left just before you go in, they started at 6000 but came down to 5000 when I said I would just go to the boarder to do it. //

You should add "Agent" as first word of this topic's title

And I hope you learned your lesson on how bad they are and act...

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

You should be more clear. Do you mean the room on the left immediately inside immigration, or the desk outside immigration? If outside, and if you got no receipt, then they saw you coming and you got ripped off as the people outside immigration are not immigration officials. If you mean the room on the inside immigration, just off the entrance hall, then you should have got a receipt. The ONLY thing that you never get a receipt for at Jomtien immigration is the fee tip/bribe for a residence certificate, and things like getting photocopies/photos done. Everything else, particularly fines, should have a receipt.

All that aside, what I find particularly offensive about the fine for not reporting is that they levy it on the individual rather than on the landlord or hotel or agency whose real job it is to do it. Most people coming here as tourists have no idea that someone is supposed to report their address every time they move, and that the onus falls on them if no one else does it. This is very unfair practice that puts Thailand in a very bad light and is something that "Big Joke" should look into.

With regards the fine, I agree with you about apportioning liability. On what is the criteria for deciding who has liability, the owner, occupier, manager. Under the relevant law it appears everybody has equal responsibility. Therefore should the fine be spread across all responsible

Maybe I'm a bit naive or just unaware, so please may someone can explain me please clear;

Many thanks in advance.

When I enter the country I give / write my correct residence address onto my arrival card. I do the same in any embassy when apply for my visa & on the immigration when I take an extention too. It's always the same address (condo of my GF).

Never anyone (specially at the immi) asked me for any report where I stay.

Now following theoretical case:

What when somewhere in the public any immi &/or police guys asking about such report?

Which law says that I have to waste one entire day after arrival to visit the immigration - just to tell them what already is documented???

Well if they fined you, get it back from the one you rented the condo from. He should take care for the TM30, registering you in Thailand. As i understand TM30 is done by property owner, only you get in trouble when having extension and it is not there. they fine you!

Dont know if they also check when you are leaving leaving the country and they will fine you at airport. The TM30 has to be in the system all ways. Could they fine you when leaving, even on tourist visa for 30 days?

If hotel or what ever property owner you were with didnt report. 

48 minutes ago, German farang said:

Which law says that I have to waste one entire day after arrival to visit the immigration - just to tell them what already is documented???

Thai Immigration Act section 38 http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

If you just stay at your GFs condo, your GF is the person who has to report your stay, not you. But some immigration offices try to fine the foreigner, because that's easier.

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thai Immigration Act section 38 http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

If you just stay at your GFs condo, your GF is the person who has to report your stay, not you. But some immigration offices try to fine the foreigner, because that's easier.

Only if the gf is the owner, if she rents then the owner(landlord) is responsible. The one who is OWNING. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Only if the gf is the owner, if she rents then the owner(landlord) is responsible. The one who is OWNING. 

The law (and the headline of the TM30 as well) says "The housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager", if the girlfriend has a rental contract with her name in it she is the possessor and thus has to report the foreigner (the owner does of course have the same obligation and both could be fined if nobody files a TM30)

• Like 2

Thanks for all your help, yes it was the one outside before you go in, I have used them many times in the past for 100/200 BHT (I lived for over 2 years before in Pattaya) I know not to use again, and will warn others. I knew I could do a VISA run for about 3000, so 2000 extra and no worry about walking over the boarder (that I remember doing before) and all day stuck in a mini van to me was worth it....just

Have to say I did not like the scare tactics they used, 'you can try your self at the desk, but you will get a larger fine if not registered' almost walked out then, well hobbled out.

Next time I will go my self next day after landing to register, or look at getting a longer VISA from UK before I fly.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The law (and the headline of the TM30 as well) says "The housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager", if the girlfriend has a rental contract with her name in it she is the possessor and thus has to report the foreigner (the owner does of course have the same obligation and both could be fined if nobody files a TM30)

OK i see in the word possessor is a lot possible and a renter is also possible to do so. Last year i was with my gf and then owner of room did the TM30 online. So i thought owner had to do so. 

But ok with possessor in the line and the meaning of that (i hope Thailand knows) any citizen in Thailand can do, thanks for pointing me to that. So my gf can do with the TM47 form at immigration office.  

2 minutes ago, mirage said:

If I fill out the full address where I am staying i.e. wife's family home on the arrival card. Do I have to report again within 48 hours ?.

With the arrival card you indicate yourself where you will stay, this does not substitute the report by "The housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager". So your wife or your wife's parents or whoever owns the place / is the housemaster, have to report you, if they don't do it they can be fined.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:04 PM, jackdd said:

So a 3100THB baht donation for the immigration officer's new Benz, i would say way too much, you should try to improve your negotiation skills ????

And ring the golden bell before you speak to the police.....