Mice in auto

spider1197

Hello everyone.

I am looking for some advice about how to keep mice out of my auto.  The reason is about a year ago I was driving and the car just quit running.  Then stranded by the road for 2 hours until  tow truck arrived.  The car was taken to a dealership and they found a mice nest under the windshield inside of the black cowling and the mouse chewed through one of the wires.  It took several days to replace the part.  I now have a new car and yesterday I found some more evidence of mice in the cowling.  Anybody know how to keep mice away from nesting in the car?  I certainly don't want to go through the same experience again.  I have put out some mice poison by the car but not sure if this will get rid of the little critters.

Use "peppermint" spray.

You can buy a product in shops for this but its still basically a strong peppermint. So either buy the pre-maid expensive stuff around 400 baht or buy some peppermint essential oil and add it to water and make your own.

The critters hate the strong smell and it will deter them. Spray around the area one a week.

This was bought in Homepro.

20181102_170502.jpg

Wind up the car windows and park it in the sun for a day or two.    Works on ants, should work on mice.  Mice or rats do the same to washing machines, unless it has a rodent-proof base.

There is a company inAmerica that makes a product specifically designed for your problem. The name of the company is Rid-A-Rat. They are located inArizona and the owner is a personal friend of mine so I can vouch for his honesty and integrity.

There are devices producing ultra high sound which they dont like, probably also not your dog.

But put it inside . I dont know if they have it on 12 volts, so you can plug it into your carsystem.

Dont know about power consumption of those devices, but otherwise maybe have an power extension cord to run on 220 volts from a socket nearby.

They dont cost a lot and sold on internet like: 

https://www.gearbest.com/other-home-improvement/pp_009189601671.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=16689034&gclid=CjwKCAjw6-_eBRBXEiwA-5zHaW7-Hyu8Ln4yhshLewPGH_BzheIQ3y2umw9wTkHKP4pELIPEe0CBNRoCaNgQAvD_BwE

I had a 6-8" rat visiting my kitchen through a vent I couldn't seal.

I bought a 50฿  Glue trap from a local garden centre. You place a small piece of cheese & fish & pork in the centre of the square pad. 

The mouse/rat gets stuck in the glue. 

Put the glue mat + rat in the sun and wait. If that fails to kill the rodent, like me - a F...g great brick finally solved my rat problem

We've had this problem sporadically over the years.

Those mothball thingies, like publicans put in a urinal. A couple in a tray underneath the car and a couple underneath the bonnet in places where they'll stay put.

Seems to have worked. Mice/rats don't like the pong.

The cat idea works too, but we can't have cats unfortunately because our dogs kill them.

And i like cats........

5 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

We've had this problem sporadically over the years.

Those mothball thingies, like publicans put in a urinal. A couple in a tray underneath the car and a couple underneath the bonnet in places where they'll stay put.

You beat me to it!

I had the mouse problem in my car in the UK when I left it for 3 months to go to Thailand.  They dined on the sound filtering material under the bonnet (hood)

I now scatter mothballs around the engine compartment, under the car and around the garage.

Not had a problem since. 

I leave the cars and bikes for up to six months at a time, so spray the under side of them (not all) but around wheels with cockroach spray the one that stays there for ages orange tin. Spray a bit on the rubber mats inside just in case.

Put half car sponges in the bonnet air vent to stop birds.

Put a couple of mouse traps inside and close the internal vents.

I fitted a little thing that connects on the earth to the battery couple of turns disconnect the earth.

Usually start first time and now I put the sponges in no birds insect or rodents evident, but lots of gingjock shit all over the outsides.

Mice can do lots of damage as seem to love the covering on wiring ok if easy to get to but terrible if behind the dash I only had it once and was lucky where they chewed.

6 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I had a 6-8" rat visiting my kitchen through a vent I couldn't seal.

I bought a 50฿  Glue trap from a local garden centre. You place a small piece of cheese & fish & pork in the centre of the square pad. 

The mouse/rat gets stuck in the glue. 

Put the glue mat + rat in the sun and wait. If that fails to kill the rodent, like me - a F...g great brick finally solved my rat problem

Do you not have a shovel?

I once caught a big white rat that fell in an empty steel water but at the fence, it actually tried to eat through it, it was reallymassive I think from the rice field.

Anyway my gardener was far too keen to 'take it away' for me, he was very excited at the find and seemed to actually turn up on a regular basis for ages afterwards always heading for the back of the ???? 

Peanut butter is much superior to cheese in attracting rodents. I put it on a bit of dry dog food and they cannot resist the combo.

Mice get in through the air inlet to your cars air circulation system. For most cars that is at the base of the windshield at the back end of the hood or bonnet. look to see if their are holes large enough for a mouse to enter and stuff those with steel wool or block then in some other way. It is also the best place to put the moth balls to deter them.

I know all this because mice have cost me a pile of cash twice already by setting up a home in my truck.

15 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

There are devices producing ultra high sound which they dont like, probably also not your dog.

But put it inside . I dont know if they have it on 12 volts, so you can plug it into your carsystem.

Dont know about power consumption of those devices, but otherwise maybe have an power extension cord to run on 220 volts from a socket nearby.

They dont cost a lot and sold on internet like: 

https://www.gearbest.com/other-home-improvement/pp_009189601671.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=16689034&gclid=CjwKCAjw6-_eBRBXEiwA-5zHaW7-Hyu8Ln4yhshLewPGH_BzheIQ3y2umw9wTkHKP4pELIPEe0CBNRoCaNgQAvD_BwE

Yes they are available for cars here. G S battery auto spare shops.

Archived