New to traveling - how to get visa?

I've never traveled internationally so not sure how anything works. So im looking to go to thailand next summer for 3 months, and I learned i will need to get the single-entry visa and do a 1 month extension for my trip. How do i get the visa and when should i apply for it if i want to enter thailand in may and leave august? I live in norfolk, virginia if that is relevant

I Googled something like "get a passport service." When I got a passport, I Googled something like "Get a Thai Visa Service." I was very green, and I needed this at the time. Was worth the money. I got a good online service who reassured me through the process. I'd say use a service for first time. They walk you through each step. My opinion. 

8 minutes ago, steve187 said:

no need for a visa service/agent, check on the website of the nearest Thai embassy/consulate to you.

and have a good read on here, 

i dont have an embassy near me, i believe its pretty far, i was told i'd have to send a letter to the thai embassy and have my passport in it to get visa? 

1 hour ago, Dylan1994 said:

i dont have an embassy near me, i believe its pretty far, i was told i'd have to send a letter to the thai embassy and have my passport in it to get visa? 

You can apply by mail to the Thai embassy in Washington DC. The link that was posted has info about doing it.

A single entry tourist visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. You could apply for it as early as May if you traveling in August of next year.

• Like 1

1 online type Royal Thai Embassy

2 in left side of screen select visas

3 select tourist visa

4 print the application page

5 Fill the application out (fully )

6 Sign in two places make sure you choose single entry visa

7Get a 2x2 pass photo and a money order for 50 bucks 

8 Get your ticket as you must include a copy of it along with itinerary

9 Get 2 courier envelopes and one you address to the royal thai embassy

and the other you address to yourself for return of your passport.Put all documents in the envelope addressed to the thai embassy along with the return addressed envelope.I use fedex and they are very good.Then just wait for your return passport.

Hope this helps oh and the single entry is good for sixty days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cbc said:

3 select tourist visa

and the other you address to yourself for return of your passport.Put all documents in the envelope addressed to the thai embassy along with the return addressed envelope.I use fedex and they are very good.Then just wait for your return passport.

And if you decide to stay longer, you can usually get a 30 day extension at a local Immigration Office giving you nearly 90 days.

I say "nearly" because in reality, they count the days of entry and exit so you actually get (say) 88 days in total.

DO CHECK your passport when you enter Thailand and BEFORE you leave the desk at the airport - make sure the IO has stamped the correct "leave by" date in your PP.

It's rumoured on this forum that they have (rarely) been known to make a mistake and checking takes 10 seconds! Having said that, I've never experienced it so it's one of those little things you check but don't fear. Bon voyage! ????

23 hours ago, cbc said:

3 select tourist visa

so i must buy my ticket before applying for the visa? i thought you apply for visa then buy the ticket. where do you recommend me to get 2x2 photos? what do i need a $50 money order for? 

On 11/3/2018 at 4:53 AM, Dylan1994 said:

So im looking to go to thailand next summer for 3 months, and I learned i will need to get the single-entry visa and do a 1 month extension for my trip.

Why Thailand for 3 months as a first timer?

Come to Thailand without a VISA, 30 days free on entry.

Then visit, Malaysia (90 days free on entry), or Laos ($35 VISA on entry for 30 days), or the Philippines (30 days free on entry), Vietnam is great ($30 VISA required for Americans) ..... flights are only $30 between countries.

If you liked Thailand come back without a VISA for another 30 days free on entry.

SEA is a great place to visit, no need to restrict yourself to just one country.

PS, summer ain't great in Asia, it's monsoon season and can be very hot and wet. November to January is best.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why Thailand for 3 months as a first timer?

Come to Thailand without a VISA, 30 days free on entry.

Then visit, Malaysia (90 days free on entry), or Laos ($35 VISA on entry for 30 days), or the Philippines (30 days free on entry) ..... flights are only $30.

If you liked Thailand come back without a VISA for another 30 days free on entry.

SEA is a great place to visit, no need to restrict yourself to just one country.

thailand is cheap cost and i will be staying with my thai gf

58 minutes ago, Dylan1994 said:

so i must buy my ticket before applying for the visa? i thought you apply for visa then buy the ticket. where do you recommend me to get 2x2 photos? what do i need a $50 money order for? 

visas arent free

It should be easy get the photos since that is standard passport photo in the states.

Not sure why he wrote $50 dollars for. The fee for the visa is $40 and they do want a money order.

See here for their requirements. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

Having tickets for your trip is a standard requirement for visas.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be easy get the photos since that is standard passport photo in the states.

Not sure why he wrote $50 dollars for. The fee for the visa is $40 and they do want money order.

See here for their requirements. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

Having tickets for your trip is a standard requirement for visas.

thanks for the info. does the site tell you all the steps of how to get the visa? i havent checked it out yet. do i need to mail my passport?

3 minutes ago, Dylan1994 said:

yeah i know you pay, but do u send the money order in the mail with your application? is it exactly $50? 

Read the post I just made before yours.

Yes they want it mailed to them withy your application.

1 minute ago, Dylan1994 said:

thanks for the info. does the site tell you all the steps of how to get the visa? i havent checked it out yet. do i need to mail my passport?

Yes and Yes.

The need your passport so they can put the visa sticker in it,

online yes, irrelevant to my topic question

Just make sure you carry 20,000 bahts worth of dollars with you. You may be asked to show it to Immigration when you arrive at the airport. You may also be asked to show a booking for where you are staying. Note I'm saying 'may.'

What part of Thailand do you intend staying, North Thailand, Bangkok or coast? ( Pattaya )

Keep in mind the first time you go for a meal/dinner with your gf it's very likely that some of her friends will 'suddenly/unexpectedly' turn up at the same place and you are very likely going to be handed the bill for everything.

Decide what your budget per day is and then multiply by two for a near enough figure.

Thailand is not as cheap as you think.

All of the above may not happen but forewarned is forearmed. ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just make sure you carry 20,000 bahts worth of dollars with you. You may be asked to show it to Immigration when you arrive at the airport. You may also be asked to show a booking for where you are staying. Note I'm saying 'may.'

What part of Thailand do you intend staying, North Thailand, Bangkok or coast? ( Pattaya )

Keep in mind the first time you go for a meal/dinner with your gf it's very likely that some of her friends will 'suddenly/unexpectedly' turn up at the same place and you are very likely going to be handed the bill for everything.

Decide what your budget per day is and then multiply by two for a near enough figure.

Thailand is not as cheap as you think.

All of the above may not happen but forewarned is forearmed. ????

Ill be staying in rangsit 

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes and Yes.

The need your passport so they can put the visa sticker in it,

Thanks and for the 2x2 photo for the visa,  can i just mail them the same 2x2 photo thats on my passport(i have copies of it) ? Or will i need a different pic?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dylan1994 said:

Not much to do there unless you like Malls and shopping. BKK 15 miles by road.

Taxi to BKK and back at night budget 20/25 $. Night out in BBK can be street food 5$ or good restaurant 75/100/150 $.

Small beer in a bar 3/5 $

31 minutes ago, Dylan1994 said:

Thanks and for the 2x2 photo for the visa,  can i just mail them the same 2x2 photo thats on my passport(i have copies of it) ? Or will i need a different pic?

You will need a different picture. This what states on the website.

"3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders Photos must be taken within 6 months."

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a different picture. This what states on the website.

"3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders Photos must be taken within 6 months."

ok thanks ill go get a photo taken at walgreens. just to be clear, they want the 2 photos to be the same? or do they want 2 different photos? also, if i want to arrive in may 10 when would u recommend me to apply for my visa?

3 minutes ago, Dylan1994 said:

ok thanks ill go get a photo taken at walgreens. just to be clear, they want the 2 photos to be the same? or do they want 2 different photos? also, if i want to arrive in may 10 when would u recommend me to apply for my visa?

The photos should be the same.

The visa will be valid to use for entry for 3 months from the date of issue. You could apply in February if you wanted to.

3 hours ago, Dylan1994 said:

Depends on the girl but likely she will be happy to eat and shop at Future Park mall if she lives in Rangsit area. Plenty of decent eating options in ZPell, the new wing of FP.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The photos should be the same.

The visa will be valid to use for entry for 3 months from the date of issue. You could apply in February if you wanted to.

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

So i read over this and it says 'not exceeding 60 days'

If my plane ticket is 3 months, will they decline my visa for this reason? And for the money order, its just a flat $40 I include in the envelope along with all the documents they want?