Short Road From Wiang Haeng to Pai.

Dazinoz

Recently had to take a friend to Wiang Haeng for a few days to do something. We had a bit of a look around the area and the task was taking longer than expected so I looked at Google Maps and saw Pai only around 60km away. So I suggested we go there for a drive, stay the night and go back to WH next day. BIG MISTAKE. So we headed off in the morning. The road was narrow and winding but no hurry so drove slow. The sealed road turned to gravel and mud in places. At one point we came across a work crew installing power poles along the side of the road. As I mentioned this road was narrow. So the truck with outriggers out while installing the pole literally took up the whole width of the road so we had to wait till they finished the job so they could move to a point to pass them. We continued on and about 20km or 1 hour into the trip we came across a muddy patch with wheel furrows so deep obviously made by a truck. Now I think a 4WD would have a problem getting past but I was in a Honda Jazz. So we turned back and headed back out. Before we had hit the mud patch I had decided the return trip was going to be the looooong way back.

I obviously should have done a bit of research on the road other than just looking at Google Maps but as it was only 60km I didn't bother.

So if you are thinking of doing this trip make sure you have the appropriate vehicle and don't go in the wet as some of it is very steep and would be a problem when wet. Better still don't go that way.

• Like 2

I've done the full route Pai to Wiang Haeng, I think at minimum you need a high ground clearance vehicle & preferably 4x4.

I would not advise it in any vehicle unless its dry season or you are experienced off roader with minimum 2 vehicles.

Or go on a Honda Dream, they're unstoppable.

• Like 1