Phuket’s beach-touring croc still waiting for a new home

webfact

Phuket’s beach-touring croc still waiting for a new home

By Tavee Adam

1541560003_1-org.jpg

The crocodile is in good health, but remains in a pen in marine wildlife research centre in northern Phuket. Photo: Phuket Fisheries Dept

PHUKET: The female crocodile caught offshore from Layan Beach, on Phuket’s west coast, in July remains held at the marine life research centre in Thalang, now more than a month after experts confirmed that the reptile is a saltwater species.

The crocodile gained attention after first being spotted at Yanui Beach, at the southern end of the island, and then eluding capture for 11 days as it toured the beaches along Phuket’s west coast, including the tourist-popular Kata and Karon beaches, and was even spotted just south of Patong.

The amphibian was finally snared in nets by the ‘Kraithong Lumnamtapi’ team of experts from the Department of Fisheries in Surat Thani, brought to Phuket especially to catch the reptile, at about 5:30am on July 29.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-touring-croc-still-waiting-for-a-new-home-69259.php#fzh46ajq9vu6UgPL.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-07

“For me, I would like to move her as fast as possible to the proper place, but I have to wait for the order from our head office,” he said.

I hope he means that and not 'hors d'oeuvres', as otherwise someone might end up in the soup over it.

If it ended up in a sandwich would they make it snappy?

• Haha 1

She's a very famous little croc, some hysterical "experts" virtually shut down all beaches in the Province because she was spotted catching some rays on a beach.

There must be some crocodile farms around where she could be paired up with a large male to breed little handbags or hamburger meat. (tasty!)

Its not an amphibian... its a reptile.

I thought Thailand was trying to protect its wildlife?  This is a native species which has been virtually made extinct here.  They should find a good spot to release it back to the wild.  Poor thing stuck in a concrete pit for no reason. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Poor thing stuck in a concrete pit for no reason. 

A good reason would be to keep feeding in persons from the department of "inactive posts" and those that survive get their jobs back? Gives the croc something to do, keeps the inactive posts department costs down and perhaps make it a macabre tourist attraction? ????

What's better than a win win situation? :smile:

(I've gotta stop smoking this jagged edge leaf) 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Its not an amphibian... its a reptile.

I thought Thailand was trying to protect its wildlife?  This is a native species which has been virtually made extinct here.  They should find a good spot to release it back to the wild.  Poor thing stuck in a concrete pit for no reason. 

Wild salties are extinct in Thailand and much of Indochina.

Putting it into the wild, where it wouldn't find a mate, would cause more problems. They believe it to be raised in captivity so it probably wouldn't survive anyway.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Wild salties are extinct in Thailand and much of Indochina.

Putting it into the wild, where it wouldn't find a mate, would cause more problems. They believe it to be raised in captivity so it probably wouldn't survive anyway.

It would survive fine, so long as people did not kill it.  If they got a lot of them swimming about they would clean up the beach rats, dogs, and keep the Chinese Tourists from swimming and destroying the coral reefs.  Could do croc watching tours too.  They are not extinct here... as there have been several sightings over the years by fishermen and local people.  They also have the Siamese Crocodile, which became extinct here, but now has a reintroduction scheme going on in a national park.

13 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

It would survive fine, so long as people did not kill it.  If they got a lot of them swimming about they would clean up the beach rats, dogs, and keep the Chinese Tourists from swimming and destroying the coral reefs.  Could do croc watching tours too.  They are not extinct here... as there have been several sightings over the years by fishermen and local people.  They also have the Siamese Crocodile, which became extinct here, but now has a reintroduction scheme going on in a national park.

The sightings have proven to be escaped/released captive animals not wild, and the last one found in Phuket was a hybrid.

Your own following chart supports my statement that they are extinct in Thailand and Indochina. I was talking about the salt water crocodile, the subject of this thread, not the freshwater Siamese variety.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:49 AM, Old Croc said:

The sightings have proven to be escaped/released captive animals not wild, and the last one found in Phuket was a hybrid.

Your own following chart supports my statement that they are extinct in Thailand and Indochina. I was talking about the salt water crocodile, the subject of this thread, not the freshwater Siamese variety.

I get your point.  But escaped / released captive animals were wild before they were put in the farms.  There will be adult ones there that have been taken from the area years back for breeding, and their offspring would have been born in the wild if they had been left to their own devices. 

In this Buddhist country they should be freeing the native wild animals back into the wild in my opinion.  

• Sad 1