CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism

MASSMAN

I think constructive criticism is better known as advice.

I'm not trying to be negative, but calling something criticism without providing some direction towards a solution is always going to sound like criticism, which some people will take negatively, regardless of its helpful intent. 

And saying "I'm not trying to be negative..." is kidding no-one but yourself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, MASSMAN said:

Does CONSTRUCTIVE criticism still exist in society?  And if so, is still considered valuable?

Of course it does, just the other day someone criticized my thong bathing suit  but suggested that I was wearing it backwards and it would be better if I wore the string part at the back.

4 hours ago, MASSMAN said:

I, personally, would prefer being apart of more constructive and positive interactions with people in general.

You might have something there, perhaps it will catch on.

• Haha 1

Constructive criticism is the opposite of "yes men" that so many unsecure leaders, of all tripes, like to surround themselves with.

Perhaps the most famous example of constructive criticism were the historical debates between Einstein and Niels Bohr and his group of quantum theorists.

Einstein didn't believe in quantum theory and came with multiple refutations, supported by examples/experiments.

His criticism were pushing the quantum theorists to find answers, and in the process proved very valuable in giving credibility to the theory.

Obviously, the concerned persons were smart enough to accept criticism, as long as they were based on something solid.

Nowadays,  criticism are generally poorly received, and not tolerated at all within the hierarchy, including in scientific research, which probably explain why we discover Botox rather than, say improving space travel...

• Confused 1

What a pointless topic in a Thai Forum!

Does the comment I have just made above "qualify" as "constructive criticism" or am I just showing my true feelings as to why it was started in the first place.

Total pretentious waffle.

????

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Of course it does, just the other day someone criticized my thong bathing suit  but suggested that I was wearing it backwards and it would be better if I wore the string part at the back.

You might have something there, perhaps it will catch on.

Like a rash!

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Does the comment I have just made above "qualify" as "constructive criticism" or am I just showing my true feelings as to why it was started in the first place.

????

<removed>

Or to be more constructive, and helpful, without bossing anyone around - have you tried being less of a <removed>

But let's avoid any personal criticism - have you tried avoiding such < Removed> comments?

But "less" is a bit negative; let's focus on the positive alternatives.

Why not try saying something a normal person would say, rather than something that a <removed> might witter?

Edited by CharlieH
Offensive term removed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, scottiejohn said:

Please explain that comment without "constructive criticism".

If you're expecting learned discussion and high culture, then the pub is not the place to look.  If you're expecting a bit of banter, and you don't mind getting the piss taken whenever you take a walk on the pretentious side, then you'll probably enjoy yourself in the pub.

• Confused 1

I usually see the problem of staying on topic, expressing pragmatism over emotion and personalising the problem. Respond pragmatically to the point and ignore the emotion is usually the best way to go but that actually winds up people looking for a fight. 

Allow people a bad day, give up after the second attack.   But most forum post go down a rabbit hole of attack or emotion eventually.  

Remember that 16% of the population despise who you are an what you represent regardless.  If you arent seeing or hearing anything that offends you you are probably in a bubble. 

And to quote Michael Caine in Batman some people just want to see the world to burn.

12 minutes ago, turgid said:

I usually see the problem of staying on topic, ...

Too often, people get side-tracked into discussions on tyre pressure, and while advice on tyre pressure is meant well, it can distract from the purpose of the thread.

I used to get loads of punctures, but one of the things that reduced my puncture rate most significantly was keeping my tyre pressure much higher - easier once I bought a floor pump with a pressure gauge on it.  I think a floor pump with a pressure gauge is one of the best investments a person can make, especially if they have a bicycle.

10 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

True critical and independent thought is waning, if not lost already.

cyclical systems of dumbing down are in it's place.

"...its place"

You try to put a sensible point across and you get pulled up by irrelevant pedantry at every turn.

All the little princes and princesses of today have been so indoctrinated by the PC, everyone is a winner, society we live in that they are unable to accept any criticism of any description, without becoming mortally offended. Not actually a recent phenomenon either. I started my working life in the military, and when I left it to work in civvy street, I was amazed at how easily offended people were. Bunch of sukky babies, IMO.

A while back I lost a friend of 30 years because he couldn't take constructive criticism, though he relished in giving me criticism, and not always constructive.

Mind you, he had a high opinion of himself because he made a high salary, though he was pants at doing anything physical, like DIY.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Constructive criticism is important and when you're given well-meaning constructive criticism it's a chance for reflection.  You might have been made aware of something you do that you didn't realise, perhaps something that's not endearing.  This criticism if well-intentioned can help you improve yourself.

I think the important thing with criticism is that it's well-intentioned, which I guess is much the same as constructive.  If the intention of giving it is good then the person being criticises would welcome it and appreciate that the person who made it cares enough to raise this with them.

14 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

????

Thank you for your CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.  THIS is why wrote about this topic.