CM to Nong Khai -- best option

ddoff

Planning my trip to Vientian for a new visa.

Was shocked to know that Nok Air stopped their direct flights to Udon. 
What would be another best option to get to Nong Khai/Udon in a short and most comfortable way?
See there quite a few offers from bus companies/travel agencies but you never know the real value of it.
Any suggestions (and experience) ?

Thanks!

What happened to Bangkok Air to Udon, that was my last route.

Then local bus, shuttle bus, taxi to NK.

There were only two companies runni g a daily bus to NK from CM....one  was great, the other was an accident waiting to happen... Choose carefully.

9 minutes ago, ddoff said:

cmsally , sorry they did that
Just checked their timetable

Only via BKK

What timetable? Source?

I look up their booking system.

Three flight daily nonstop CNX to UTH.

8, 9, 10 November...

What date did you look?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I did this Run last month.....I usually always take the bus-which I hate so decided to go NOK AIR--flew CNX to Udon thani and got the shuttle from airport to Nong khai--slept at Mutmee GH for 200 fan room..jumped over to laos next day....that monday was a holiday resulting in overr 800!!!!!!!! ppl..yep.....800!!!! My tix was 744 t and didnt get to Nong khai until 5pm from 130 pp pick up and MISSED my flight back from Udon to CM by 10mins!!!!!! I was NOT happy.....took a tuk to Central Udon and got the long 12 hr bus back to CM for 550 bt.....was a horrible run......Anyway Yes can fly Nok..my tix was 1700 one way..quick flight OR go to CM bus station and go in OLD station on left side-middle corner--VIP bus Cnx-NK for 900...is a decent bus.

Or I go to New bus station and get Pretprasert YELLOW bus co to KK or UT and grab a bus to NK..long way

I just hate the 12 hrs trying to sleep in a damn bus and got burned on the thai holiday...800 damn people

The Thai consulate in Laos has become a hot mess and a nightmare--all outdoors NO more double entry!!

Nok still is flying direct to and from Udon Thani.  It was Air Asia that cancelled the direct flights to and from Udon as of October 30th.  I and a couple of friends had tickets on AA to Udon for the end of this month and, after receiving notice of cancellation of those direct flights (and refunds), we booked via Nok for the end of this month.

Yes Nok Air flies to Udon - friend just left on that flight. See the pic he sent from the plane.

But since they have a monopoly on that route now again you should book fast because prices go up fast with every booking.

From Udon airport they run minibus service charge per person (counter at the airport) for every flight that arrives to the border in Nong Khai.
Go through the border - have US$ for Lao visa ready - take shuttle across the bridge - take Lao taxi to Vientiane.

IMG_5828.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, ddoff said:

KhunBENQ, Thank you! 
It should be a bug -- they really do that
Thanks a lot!

It's a pity that just NokAir does the route, but still safer (and easier) than a lengthy bus ride (not to speak of a night bus ride).

9 hours ago, NancyL said:

We've taken the train to Nong Khai a few times.  Go to Ayutthaya and switch to an overnight train.  Nice and scenic.

He probably wants to get to Vientienne THIS year.

The train to Bkk is about 4hrs slower than a bus and you have exactly the same scenic view at night.

17 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Yes Nok Air flies to Udon - friend just left on that flight. See the pic he sent from the plane.

But since they have a monopoly on that route now again you should book fast because prices go up fast with every booking.

From Udon airport they run minibus service charge per person (counter at the airport) for every flight that arrives to the border in Nong Khai.
Go through the border - have US$ for Lao visa ready - take shuttle across the bridge - take Lao taxi to Vientiane.

IMG_5828.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

OR once in Laos and I get my visa at border walk THRU the taxi scammers and take the LOCAL japanese green buses to town..8000 kip or 40 baht...comfy with AC...I use them everytime, parked and waiting, easy

12 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

He probably wants to get to Vientienne THIS year.

The train to Bkk is about 4hrs slower than a bus and you have exactly the same scenic view at night.

Yes, but you lay down in comfort in a bed with sheets and actually get some sleep. 

• Thanks 1