Expats need to organize in face of Embassies discontinuance of income verification letters

Just now, Thaidream said:

Virtually impossible to get foreign companies to transfer pensions/investment income into a foreign bank account.  Never going to happen except for isolated instances and US Social Security. My annuity fund refuse to even consider it.

It's certainly impossible for me to have my company pension transferred into a Thai bank account.

For now I have ruled out the monthly income method and am concentrating my efforts on making arrangements to deposit 800k baht in my Thai bank account, next year.

1 hour ago, cleopatra2 said:

Sorry for being pedantic , did Thai Immigration confirm the option of monthly deposits into a Thai bank as an alternative option

It was always a valid option. Do you think all the embassies in the world give income affidavits? 

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

It's certainly impossible for me to have my company pension transferred into a Thai bank account.

For now I have ruled out the monthly income method and am concentrating my efforts on making arrangements to deposit 800k baht in my Thai bank account, next year.

for those of us that don't have the 800k we can only try with the transfer method, backed up maybe with foreign bank statements showing incoming pension payments, a way will be found no doubt.

7 minutes ago, moontang said:

most could set up their home account with an auto-transfer every month..you would never even notice the extra step.

Can you outline the steps how to do it? I have accounts in all major banks in the US (Ally, BofA, Chase, CaptialOne, Welsfargo, HSBC, Citi, First national, and a few credit unions)

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

It was always a valid option. Do you think all the embassies in the world give income affidavits? 

I'm sure they all give letters or affidavits. Wonder what the Nigerians do, probably provide a last will and testament from a rich uncle

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Can you outline the steps how to do it? I have accounts in all major banks in the US (Ally, BofA, Chase, CaptialOne, Welsfargo, HSBC, Citi, First national, and a few credit unions)

i suggested that to my German bank, they didn't like the idea.

• Thanks 1

you just get the routing number for BBL, NY....and use your Thai account number.....then you link it like you would any other payee account....Zelle nor pop money work....credit unions are BS...capitalone360 works fine, and is free..it is a traditional ACH transfer.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

for those of us that don't have the 800k we can only try with the transfer method, backed up maybe with foreign bank statements showing incoming pension payments, a way will be found no doubt.

Until and if a method is found, the 800k in a Thai bank is the only available option. Those who can't achieve this would be well advised to make friends with a "well connected" visa agent.

1 minute ago, moontang said:

you just get the routing number for BBL, NY....and use your Thai account number.

Bangkok Bank rejected all trial deposits because they don't comply with IAT format. Please do't tell me you have done hundreds in the past.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Until and if a method is found, the 800k in a Thai bank is the only available option. Those who can't achieve this would be well advised to make friends with a "well connected" visa agent.

I'm not so pessimistic but I still have (at the moment anyway) the German embassy letter in the background.

Just now, onera1961 said:

Bangkok Bank rejected all trial deposits because they don't comply with IAT format. Please do't tell me you have done hundreds in the past.

i did it two weeks ago....but yes, there is some kind of crap going on with that system, too....better ask bangkokbank ny...they actually answer their phone....ask for suggestions.  I last linked an account in April....someone else reported they couldn't do it.  Let us know////

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I'm sure they all give letters or affidavits. Wonder what the Nigerians do, probably provide a last will and testament from a rich uncle

No because monthly bank deposit into a Thai bank was always a valid proof. 

1 minute ago, moontang said:

i did it two weeks ago....but yes, there is some kind of crap going on with that system

What did you do two weeks ago? Did it a trial deposit to link your account. That is impossible. I have already asked them. They said the their format is not IACH format. 

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

not without an embassy letter

No embassy letter is required if you show bank deposit of 65K every month for 12 months. They want to see money. No fraudulent embassy letter. NO countries in the World require embassy letter. Everybody goes by bank deposit.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

What did you do two weeks ago? Did it a trial deposit to link your account. That is impossible. I have already asked them. They said the their format is not IACH format. 

as stated, last linked in April....but I guess it is like Yellow Book..glad I didn't listen to all the bar stoolers about that, because it is handy as hell without a work permit.

10 minutes ago, moontang said:

you just get the routing number for BBL, NY....and use your Thai account number.....then you link it like you would any other payee account....Zelle nor pop money work....credit unions are BS...capitalone360 works fine, and is free..it is a traditional ACH transfer.

Bangkok Bank will no longer accept ACH transfers as of 1 April. It must be in an IAT format. Check their website for the change.  As I said before, let's get the income verification affidavit reinstated!

No embassy letter is required if you show bank deposit of 65K every month for 12 months

your word in Gods ear, that's what the BE says, my IO says bring the embassy letter, that may change as it was never a regulation in the first place but for now IO's insist on the letter, if it wasn't so 80% of the posts here wouldn't be needed and I for one would breath a sigh of relief.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

although my German state pension can be transferred anywhere, my company pension can only go to a German bank, surely transferwise can deposit money into my Thai savings account and that should suffice, a bit messy with withdrawals admittedly.

What happens to the company pension if you lose your German address. Does the German bank accept a Thai base address?

Just now, Fruit Trader said:

What happens to the company pension if you lose your German address. Does the German bank accept a Thai base address?

yes, they know where I am as does my old company and the tax authorities, it was one of the reasons I pay no tax, nothing in Germany except a bank account with a running overdraft.

1 minute ago, jimn said:

What on earth are you on about. Nowhere has anyone currently been able to get an extension of stay based on retirement/marriage based on 12 x 40/65k monthly deposits without an embassy letter.

Has anybody tried it without embassy letter and only bank deposit of 65K every month in a Thai bank? 

27 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

No problem.  My three UK pensions are paid into an HSBC account in the UK.  Bangkok Bank has a branch in London, so as and when I require funds I go on line to HSBC and transfer the amount I want (GBP) to BB London who in turn transfer the GBP to my Foreign Savings Account at BB HQ in BKK.  The funds are normally available next day because of time difference. 

BB make a nominal charge for the transfer and I get their TT rate when I convert the GBP to THB.  The bank book provides an audit trail of overseas fund arriving in Thailand if needed.  Has worked well for me for the past 10 years.

FYI…. BB is able to offer the same arrangement via their New York Branch https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

3 minutes ago, The Truth said:

Too much whining about this development.

Embassies don't have resources to verify thousands of their nationals' incomes.

If you're living here full time, what is 400 or 800k in a Thai bank? 

Hardly a fortune. Stop complaining and pony up

It's a fortune if you don't have it because your money is invested with house and family, what are you doing on this thread, gloating?

• Like 1

Just now, 007 RED said:

No problem.  My three UK pensions are paid into an HSBC account in the UK.  Bangkok Bank has a branch in London, so as and when I require funds I go on line to HSBC and transfer the amount I want (GBP) to BB London who in turn transfer the GBP to my Foreign Savings Account at BB HQ in BKK.  The funds are normally available next day because of time difference. 

BB make a nominal charge for the transfer and I get their TT rate when I convert the GBP to THB.  The bank book provides an audit trail of overseas fund arriving in Thailand if needed.  Has worked well for me for the past 10 years.

FYI…. BB is able to offer the same arrangement via their New York Branch https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

But there's no proof of income there. Only that you have transferred money from abroad.

• Like 1