Expats need to organize in face of Embassies discontinuance of income verification letters

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What is FCCT ?

I agree that some group representation to the correct authority could be productive but in this case the correct authority would be Thai immigration, not Embassies or MFA.

FCCT = Foreign Correspondence Club of Thailand

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

// and seek some official clarification of what will become of the monthly income method for extensions, in the absence of embassy income letters?  And what, if any, alternate monthly income documentation method(s) will be allowed from now on?

I really doubt they could reply. If they had some new regulations ready, they would have publish them already. At best they may be thinking/working on a change to come (and you will have to wait that they publish new rules), at worst they may just be asking themselves if they should make anything about the mess provoked by these 3 embassies...

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have been informed by management that they are trying to arrange a meeting.

Ubonjoe, what is needed before we seek clarification from Thai immigration is a renewed discussion by the three embassies that issued the notices to revoke income verification affidavits with Thai immigration only after the embassies conduct outreach meetings and input from their affected constituents.

Edited by pookiki
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I would also like to add, in the event that the only method will 

become to have 800k Baht in a Thai bank account, would it be 

acceptable to use a Foreign currency a/c with a Thai bank?

Would Thai immigration then accept the equivalent 800k THB

in that foreign currency?

At least then, you could keep your funds in your own currency and withdraw it with the flexibility as of when required. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sotsira said:

I would also like to add, in the event that the only method will 

become to have 800k Baht in a Thai bank account, would it be 

acceptable to use a Foreign currency a/c with a Thai bank?

Would Thai immigration then accept the equivalent 800k THB

in that foreign currency?

At least then, you could keep your funds in your own currency and withdraw it with the flexibility as of when required. 

It has been up till now so I would assume that will continue to be OK. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

All you have to organise is getting the correct amount of money in your bank account, or coming into it. The only people this change affects are the liars and fraudsters, as it was meant to

Hang on a mo! Some honest guys cannot put 800k in their bank. And your words 'or coming into it' are incorrect, you cannot extend on a mnothly income declaration. It is either 800k in the bank NOW, or average of Bht 88,888 per month for nine months. Then Robert's your father's brother.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, pookiki said:

Why can't they do outreach meetings on this issue and ask the expat community for input on how to resolve what appears to me to be a deadlock in negotiations?  

I'm as disappointed by the cessation of the income affidavit as the next guy/gal.

I don't use it but it was a nice "ace in the hole" to have available.

While I understand your wish to have an outreach  meeting to discuss this I wonder about the cost for doing that.   The Embassy staff don't move around on the cheap.

Wouldn't  letters and phone calls to the Embassy and one's  Congress people accomplish the same thing?

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I'm as disappointed by the cessation of the income affidavit as the next guy/gal.

I don't use it but it was a nice "ace in the hole" to have available.

While I understand your wish to have an outreach  meeting to discuss this I wonder about the cost for doing that.   The Embassy staff don't move around on the cheap.

Wouldn't  letters and phone calls to the Embassy and one's  Congress people accomplish the same thing?

Outreach meetings show a true responsibility to the expat community in Thailand on an issue as important as this.  It also provides the expat community with the opportunity to organize and proffer a consensus viewpoint on how to address and resolve this issue.  Without organization among ourselves, there is no opportunity to consider and present a cogent and realistic solution. We truly need to organize and thrash this issue out among ourselves - then outreach meetings will have an impact. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

With a word of caution that it could easily be interpreted as recruiting foreigners to form a protest group in conflict with the Thai government.

It's not so much your intent or peaceful purpose, but the optics. You could easily make the situation worse for everyone.

Although it seems the problem arose ages ago, it has been a fairly brief time period. The fact that the Thai government is taking its time to  react and set guidelines for the future doesn't mean nothing is being done. They've even allowed, in most cases, flexibility regarding when letters will still be accepted ... which suggesting they are buying time for reach a resolution.

Despite their apparent indifference, the embassies aren't totally clueless. If they didn't know it before, by now they know the impact this may have on their citizens in Thailand. 

I would rather allow some time for clarification and resolution. Send emails or phone your embassy if it makes you feel better, but be careful about what actions you take and especially careful about any claims you make regarding who you think you represent.

In my view, the 'pressure point' should be on our embassy and only by-pass them if ignored.  I seriously doubt that raising of our issues with Thai immigration would be viewed as seditious or rebellious - but I do believe it should be a last resort if the embassy ignores our concerns.

Edited by pookiki
grammar
  • Confused 1