Filipina expat escapes unharmed as car rolls at airport turnoff roadworks

snoop1130

Filipina expat escapes unharmed as car rolls at airport turnoff roadworks

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1541670317_1-org.jpg

Filipina expat Pineda Ma Elaine Monasterial, 35, was fined B400 for reckless driving causing damage to property. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- A Filipino woman escaped serious injury when the car she was driving hit a concrete gutter where the road is being widened at the turnoff from Thepkrasattri Rd to Phuket International Airport late last night (Nov 7).

The car rolled onto its roof then continued to roll back onto its wheels before coming to a stop in the middle of one of the construction lanes.

Further down the road was a damage road sign.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/filipina-expat-escapes-unharmed-as-car-rolls-at-airport-turnoff-roadworks-69283.php#p5fGUk3wpWrw5QfW.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-8

I drove to the airport on Wednesday morning.  I was taken by surprise that they have changed the turn off from Thepkrasattri Road (north bound) to the airport road.  Previously you keep left to turn off.  Now you have to keep right and turn off above the underpass.  There was not enough directional signs until you reach the entrance to the underpass.

Ms Monasterial admitted to a charge of reckless driving causing damage to property
While she admits guilt I'm not sure that really was the case, if not only contributory fault.

If the road was being widened, where was the concrete gutter that she hit?

If it was the original concrete gutter (grate & curb?), it might have remained in place (planned, ignored or forgotten?) within the newly widened roadway until a new replacement gutter was built at the new widened road edge. As such, the gutter would have been within the new widened roadway area and not at the new roadway edge. Striking it might be the consequence if it wasn't barricaded and unlit.

3 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

I drove to the airport on Wednesday morning.  I was taken by surprise that they have changed the turn off from Thepkrasattri Road (north bound) to the airport road.  Previously you keep left to turn off.  Now you have to keep right and turn off above the underpass.  There was not enough directional signs until you reach the entrance to the underpass.

Just back from airport, That new layout almost caught me out. I wondered why I was heading to the underpass. Traffic was slow and I just happened to notice the small sign  telling me to go right. Weird.

5 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Just back from airport, That new layout almost caught me out. I wondered why I was heading to the underpass. Traffic was slow and I just happened to notice the small sign  telling me to go right. Weird.

9 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

There is a massive temporary black and white sign above the roadway just before the Highway cops office, also at least two orange and black signs at the side of the road (well they were there on Thu when I drove through). Unfortunately I've cleared the dashcam footage.

Edited by Psimbo