Can I enter Thailand at Mae Sai with Thai Elite visa?

23 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Yes, but you have to fly to Tachileik.

Land travel is not permitted for foreigners in Shan state.

Unless you live in Mae Sai I don't see the point.

I live in Mae Sai and I will fly to Tachileik.

I have traveled around parts of the Shan State before. I was told Mong La is off limits but some of it is okay, did this change recently? Keng Tung is still open?

Edited by TyGrr
add more info
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes, but make sure you’re given the correct 1 year permit to stay. I doubt they’ve seen many PE visas at that crossing.

I did this once before (but when also leaving from that exit on a day trip) and after a while the nice lady did sort it out on her own. She spent some time on the computer first, I assume to check that she was doing it correctly.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 5:15 PM, PoorSucker said:

Yes, but you have to fly to Tachileik.

Land travel is not permitted for foreigners in Shan state.

I do not think that is true any longer. I think you are still restricted to limited travel itineraries, and some trips might require an official Burmese guide, but Shan State is no longer closed.

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I do not think that is true any longer. I think you are still restricted to limited travel itineraries, and some trips might require an official Burmese guide, but Shan State is no longer closed.

Think you mean a Shan guide, the government has no control, Tachileik exempt.

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:
2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Think you mean a Shan guide, the government has no control, Tachileik exempt.

With respect, your knowledge is very outdated. The Shan State Army has not controlled any towns in Shan State for decades. Since the 2006 ceasefire agreement, the Myanmar authorities have steadily increased their control over remote areas., though occasional clashes were still occurring as recently as five years ago. The UK's always very cautious travel advice suggests all travel to most of Shan State is safe. They advise against all but essential travel to parts of Northern Shan State.

Shan State Army approved guides are never used today. As recently as three years ago, the Myanmar authorities were insisting you used an official guide for travel in many parts of Shan State (to prevent travelers straying into lawless areas) and you would be turned back at some roadblocks unless accompanied by an official guide. I suspect even this requirement may no longer exist, but I am unsure.

Edited by BritTim

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

With respect, your knowledge is very outdated. 

I going to tell my wifes substitute mother that, she's Shan , my retirement home is just on the border,one third in the village are Shan.

14 km from the border, might be outdated,must go neighbor village I heard they have a 7-11 ,now