Thailander?

dumspero

The first large influential group of foreigners to Thailand were the french.

Why are you discounting the Portuguese?

I'm with you, Richard. The Portuguese were the first foreigners in Thailand, setting up a trade base in Malacca in the early 1500s. Alot of Portuguese traders settled in the old capital, Ayutthya, too. Wonder what the Thais called the first Portuguese? Parangee?

When you refer to foreigners i presume you are only refering to Europeans, the Chinese beat them by over two thousand years. :o

BTW- There is a good website called thailander.com which is available in Both English and Thai Languages.

Edited by Acquiesce

What about why english call people from the netherlands Dutch?

Our country is called Nederland(the Netherlands),you call us dutch,and when play soccer Holland???

And holland we say ourselfs aswell,but they are really 2 provinces,south and north Holland,but really cannot say it is the name of our country,this is another one!

True, Acquiesce. But the Thai do not call Asian people farang. I meant those first evil white invaders.

I know, though you stated, 'The Portuguese were the first foreigners in Thailand', i was simply pointing out that your statement was far from correct.

Our country is called Nederland(the Netherlands),you call us dutch,and when play soccer Holland???

And holland we say ourselfs aswell,but they are really 2 provinces,south and north Holland,but really cannot say it is the name of our country,this is another one!

Why Dutch? Because in the Anglo Saxon dialect we confused Hollander with Deutsche (from Teuton) because you both looked and sounded much the same to us. The word German came to us later through Latin and by then we could tell the difference between Hollanders and Germans but the name Dutch stuck with us. For a similar reason the Americans tended to call the first German immigrants "Dutch".

For "farang" refer to the English "foreigner" and the Arabic "ferengi", they both have connections way back to the spread of the Frankish people who were pretty active once upon a time.

Edited by qwertz

Why Dutch? Because in the Anglo Saxon dialect we confused Hollander with Deutsche (from Teuton) because you both looked and sounded much the same to us. The word German came to us later through Latin and by then we could tell the difference between Hollanders and Germans but the name Dutch stuck with us. For a similar reason the Americans tended to call the first German immigrants "Dutch".

For "farang" refer to the English "foreigner" and the Arabic "ferengi", they both have connections way back to the spread of the Frankish people who were pretty active once upon a time.

Hmmmmmmm,interesting to get knowledge of this,sounds sincere to me that this is a true story.Thanks for letting me know.Now you can see that the English were not too smart at that time,comparing us with germans ,is a real big offense for Hollanders,but yeah ,it is like saying irish are English ,or Scots.But German is a totaly different language than Dutch,bit similar,we can understand them,but they very difficult to understand us.So that would be it,happy they know now we are not.

Hmmmmmmm,interesting to get knowledge of this,sounds sincere to me that this is a true story.Thanks for letting me know.Now you can see that the English were not too smart at that time,comparing us with germans ,is a real big offense for Hollanders,but yeah ,it is like saying irish are English ,or Scots.But German is a totaly different language than Dutch,bit similar,we can understand them,but they very difficult to understand us.So that would be it,happy they know now we are not.

At your service, TB. We're still not too smart today, but we now know this: if it walks like a German and looks like German and speaks good English - it's Dutch. :o

ok, here we say: thailandi as in ' bring your thailandi here tomorrow to work in the melon fields'... the word 'thailand' translated into hebrew sounds really stupid actually. but using it as a complete word with the -i- on the end also seems wierd. we just stick - i - on to the end of the any country name more or less.when i use the word thai as in, 'anon is thai' i am met with a blank stare. i have to say 'anon is thailandi'. mostly all the long timer thai workers also call themselves 'thailandi'.

I thought farang was meant to describe outsiders...????? Oh well

It does.

Everyone outside Asia.............

You should exclude at least black Africans - แขกดำ [LL]khaek [M]dam. I don't know whether there's a polite generic term.

oh okay... so have we established the fact that thais being called thailander is okay??

I don't think we've got beyond it being quite reasonable if you want to restrict 'Thai' to ethnic Thais. I'd say it's as peculiar as 'Englander', which I think is only totally acceptable in 'Little Englander'.

Yes I apologize, the Portuguese were first. What I was implying is that the French actually influenced Thai culture and politics. I am unaware of any lasting Portuguese impact.

Mainly my point was about the word farang. The rest is split hairs eh?

Well, there is the Thai surname 'na Silva' which is derived from Portuguese 'da Silva', and should be famous for causing the Thai Language subforum.

Was there a Portuguese contribution to local military technology? Certainly both sides employed Portuguese mercenaries in the Thai-Burmese wars.

Through which language does Thai get ฮอลันดา?

Wasn't it the Portuguese who brought the guava to Thailand?

We borrowed a Middle Dutch word dutsch which meant 'Dutch, Netherlandish, German' in Middle Dutch. (Source: The Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology). Why we didn't retain *theedish from Old English I don't know.

In general, England:United Kingdom::Holland::United Provinces, though of course the England football team is restricted to England, and is not open to Welshmen, Scots or Irishmen unless they can show a strong connection with England.

Of course, Holland is ambiguous - does it mean part of Flanders or part of Lincolnshire?

But the 'Low Countries' means 'Benelux'. Why should substituting near synonyms restrict the meaning?

Why is it that Filipinos generally insist on calling Thais, "Thailander" -- it's not something I've ever heard others say. And it's difficult to back them off it, too.

They are taught that way in school, college and university, based on the US educational system. They refuse to adopt your correct pronunciation because they believe you are wrong and they are right, respectively that their teachers taught them correctly.

On this subject, I know the university-educated president of a Philippine company who continues to pronounce “Thais” as “thighs”, even after I gave him the correct pronunciation.

Go to the USA with a T-shirt with “Phuket” printed on it and see their reaction.

--

Maestro

edit> Why are they called "rear-view" mirrors - they would hardly be for forward vision, would they ?

In Japan a "rear view mirror" is attached to the shoe and is used in crowded places for looking up skirts but has now been replaced by the camera lens."

'ey up Alf, I hope you didn't indulge in this perversion!

P.S. Where can I buy one of these mirrors

The Germans call me Engländer, can't think why, I'm from Manchester.

The Continentals know their geography – and there’s probably no German translation for “Mancunian”. As long as they don’t call a Scot “Engländer”, they’ll be OK.

--

Maestro

The Germans call me Engländer, can't think why, I'm from Manchester.

The Continentals know their geography – and there's probably no German translation for "Mancunian". As long as they don't call a Scot "Engländer", they'll be OK.

--

Maestro

Ah, the Jocks are okay, so long as you don't try to outdrink 'em :o

The first large influential group of foreigners to Thailand were the french.

Why are you discounting the Portuguese?

I'm with you, Richard. The Portuguese were the first foreigners in Thailand, setting up a trade base in Malacca in the early 1500s. Alot of Portuguese traders settled in the old capital, Ayutthya, too. Wonder what the Thais called the first Portuguese? Parangee?

A good friend read a manuscript written by a Portuguese trader from the 1600's. It read "after an early morning rise, taking a meal, searching for enough food for the day, the average Thai male fell asleep under the closest tree" ....... an interesting thought, nothing has changed in 400 years!! .. 5555 :o

:D