Suwanaphum Taxi ~ Limo

Emilio

I just want to remind and make sure you warn your family/friends/customers or who ever is coming in to Thailand, that when arriving at the arrival meeting hall, you will be approached by lots of people asking if you need taxi. They will actually tell you yes...yes..taxi..but instead they are Limos..which is a rip-off. Tell everyone just go to the lower floor and you'll see the local taxi meters.

For curiosity I asked for the price to Conrad Hotel....1,200 baht......Town in Town 900 baht. Crazy uh!!! Sometimes they even have those black (maffia Limos).....hope you know which ones I mean. Some are the old Volvos..hahaha.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been discussed ad nauseaum. What happens there is no different to just about any airport in the world. There are official taxi ranks which are very easy to find. There are private operators trying to make a buck. There are limo services. There are buses.

Why is it an issue? Why is it a scam?

Arm yourself with that most precious commodity that a buyer can have - market information - and you will be completely free to make the choice you want.

Some people choose to use the limo services because they don't want to wait in line for the regular taxis. It aint rocket science.

But why? You make it sound like it's a scam.

It isnt . it's simply another transportation choice for punters, a more direct choice to avoid the queues at the taxi stands in return for paying extra. It's no different from any other economic scenario where there is choice.

You make it sound like it's some guilty little secret that needs to be hidden away.

Some people want the private service. Me, i prefer to use my discretion and use a regular taxi. Others will choose the bus. It's called free choice and there are now plenty of signs telling people where to go for taxis if they want to make that choice.

What is different from say, KLIA where i can go to a limo desk, can use the sky train, can take my luck with private taxis or can go with the nice indian fella who approaches me with his private car? Isnt it up to me to use my judgement as a services purchaser to decide what i want?

When I went to Penang a couple of years ago, if you wanted a taxi you just went to a desk inside the airport and payed a small fee which got you a ticket for the next available taxi. The desk operators asked for your destination and a guy took you to the taxi, noted the taxi details on a form and that was it.

The paper you were given had the desk contact details so if there was a problem it could be easily sorted out.

There were also buses available.

No problems, no hassles and quick clean and easy.

Also most of the drivers spoke english as well.

I just want to remind and make sure you warn your family/friends/customers or who ever is coming in to Thailand, that when arriving at the arrival meeting hall, you will be approached by lots of people asking if you need taxi. They will actually tell you yes...yes..taxi..but instead they are Limos..which is a rip-off. Tell everyone just go to the lower floor and you'll see the local taxi meters.

For curiosity I asked for the price to Conrad Hotel....1,200 baht......Town in Town 900 baht. Crazy uh!!! Sometimes they even have those black (maffia Limos).....hope you know which ones I mean. Some are the old Volvos..hahaha.

Scam ?

If you ask the Conrad to sedn you one of their limos to pick you up it wll be charged at 1,600 baht on your check-out bill

1,200 is a bargain (for a limo)!

Edited by Krub

You can also tell everyone not to buy milk at Big C, it's cheaper at Tesco

You can also tell everyone not to buy T-shirts in KSR, they are cheaper at the weekend market

You can also tell everyone not to........... what is the point of your post?

If you think that the price of an airport limo is a 'rip-off' then don't use them.

Surprise, surprise, some airport limos are black and some are Volvos

Are you trying to say that everyone who drives a large black saloon is in the mafia?

Im not saying its a scam. Of course we have the freedom of choice. But once you arrive at the arrival hall, ask for a taxi. They will not tell you that the public taxis are just one floor beneath. They will actually tell, yes we are Taxi, actually being a limo. As I said a Limo to Town in Town was 900 Baht, while a public Taxi is only roughly 250 Baht. The thing is most Farangs visiting Thailand for the 1st time would think that the Limos are the actual public taxis. Its not a scam, but a bit tricky Id say. If those Limo staff were more honorable, they should give passengers a choice, while the public taxis have to pay 50Bhat for their queue!

Well, you have got a choice where to buy your milk (Hippo), and you would know where is cheaper. Then you'd go buy it there. As my wife would tell, hey go get the milk at Lotus instead of Big C. Or even get better deals at Makro. What I meant is, that the airport should at least put up a sign for a Public Taxi and Limo. But you know there are none. So most think that they have no choice and go for the limo. Just wanted to warn everyone, and let them know they do have a choice, then now you choose what you wanna ride with!

And lastly as I mentioned about the black Limo (mafia), Im not being rational. doesnt mean all Volvos are mafia. Most Limos at the airport are Camry, or Benz...official ones....then there are the black limos...most of em are the old volvos. Just to let you know...sry if anyone insulted by the Mafia volvos.

It is a scam. These touts that are allowed to fleece tourists the moment they arrive are blatantly representing themselves as taxi's.

It's easy to say "be vigilant" but this happens inside a public building in the presence of police and airport officials, somewhere a tourist would assume a massive scam could not be carried out.

Just ask one of these guys next time.." are you a taxi or a high priced limo"?....and see what you get for an answer.

Although many folks here consider this old news, I say thanks to the OP for the reminder.

Last time I stayed about 30 miniutes in the arrival hall before leaving. I was offered a "taxi" by at least 20 different people. These touts shouldn't be allowed to enter the airport building.

Arriving international tourists are often tired and they will accept any offer even if it's unreasonably expensive. They probably don't even know how expensive it is because they are not aware of the value of the local currency (Thai baht). Later on, the next day, they will feel cheated and they will start their journey in Thailand with a negative feeling about Thai people.

Further on, somebody that doesn't know Thailand or the airport will never find his way to the regular taxi service, because it's not clearly indicated that regular taxis are also available.

It's true that there are more airports with these kind of practises, but there are not that many and most of them are located in the third world countries. The atmosphere in arrival hall of the new airport looked like the atmosphere in the arrival hall of some of the poorest (big) third world countries I have been to. It's very different from the arrival hall in a european airport

PS. Government should also try to remove the touts from bus-terminals and train-stations. They give the country a very negative image.

Edited by kriswillems

Arriving international tourists are often tired and they will accept any offer even if it's unreasonably expensive. They probably don't even know how expensive it is because they are not aware of the value of the local currency (Thai baht). Later on, the next day, they will feel cheated and they will start their journey in Thailand with a negative feeling about Thai people.

PS. Government should also try to remove the touts from bus-terminals and train-stations. They give the country a very negative image.

Despite this subject being discussed a lot I still think it is a valid issue to discuss.

This practice DOES give the initial visitor a negative view of the country, that view has come from friends and relatives who have visited me here over the years.

It certainly needs to be sorted out but I think it goes much much deeper than only the airport, it is all over every aspect of tourism in this country(and others...)

Nikkijah :o

Completely agree kriswillems ....

It is not a good impression for the trusting, first time visitor and it does leave a lingering bad impression.

The practice is deliberately deceptive and aimed at the naive and/or unsuspecting.

Free enterprise and choice are desirable features of any service but I prefer to know that people I engage to provide a service are providing me with honest information to assist me with my choice.

Introduce the same service as in KL airport – buy a ticket at a counter and get exactly what you pay for.

:o

"Arriving international tourists are often tired "

Oh, for God's sake, are you going to use that excuse for bad judgment? Another poster claimed he was "tired" and almost pushed a baggage cart down the wrong escalator, and then tried to blame Taksin for designing the escalator poorly.

And the public taxis being located on level one is clearly marked also.

I'm increasingly of the view that thaivisa is divided into two distinct camps. Tjere are those who seem bewildered by the complexities of modern life, who are incapable of taking responsibility for navigating a course through that life, and who seem to think that everything they don't understand is a scam or a potential hazard, and that everyone is out to 'get them'.

And then there are the rational adults.

"Too tired to make a judgement," my a**e.

Edited by bendix

I am happy for the posters whose judgement is always sharp and accurate, even when they're tired and even when they would be unexperienced travellers. At least they will never get cheated.

But I believe there are many "less superior" people, such as me, that get tired and that get cheated and that get an unjust negative impression of Thai people.

I am happy for the posters whose judgement is always sharp and accurate, even when they're tired and even when they would be unexperienced travellers. At least they will never get cheated.

But I believe there are many "less superior" people, such as me, that get tired and that get cheated and that get an unjust negative impression of Thai people.

Unless you learn to turn your A game on when arriving at a forgien airport, even though you're tired, you stand to get ripped off in alot of countries.

Reading the comments here, one would think that it is only in Thailand that tourists get scammed. fleeced or whatever word you want to put in here.

NEWSFLASH

It happens the world over - just one example -http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1442976.stm. Do your own searches for more examples.

"They probably don't even know how expensive it is because they are not aware of the value of the local currency (Thai baht)" That is a load of small round objects! When I travel to other countries, I may not know the exact exchange rate but I have a rough idea -£1 = 70Baht. It is not exact but does for quick calculations. I also look on the 'net and travel guides for rough information; if I read that the taxi fare to downtown Bangkok is 300Baht and someone wants me to pay 1200Baht then alarm bells ring in my head.

"Arriving international tourists are often tired " You don't say but does this make them stupid as well?

It is a scam. These touts that are allowed to fleece tourists the moment they arrive are blatantly representing themselves as taxi's.

It's easy to say "be vigilant" but this happens inside a public building in the presence of police and airport officials, somewhere a tourist would assume a massive scam could not be carried out.

Just ask one of these guys next time.." are you a taxi or a high priced limo"?....and see what you get for an answer.

Although many folks here consider this old news, I say thanks to the OP for the reminder.

You're making some valid points here :o

Not a big deal - they can tout their services, but I rarely see anyone using them. I suppose someone must do, or they wouldnt be there. I always have a private car service waiting. :o

Me too....................infact I have just booked for my next arrival..........car cost to Pattaya incl all tolls 1200baht :D

It's been how many months now and still the touts harass people as they arrive. Just how much are the officials at the airport getting from these people that they allow it to continue. Is it any wonder there are problems at the airport when the people who run it cannot even sort this out.

This has been discussed ad nauseaum. What happens there is no different to just about any airport in the world. There are official taxi ranks which are very easy to find. There are private operators trying to make a buck. There are limo services. There are buses.

Why is it an issue? Why is it a scam?

Arm yourself with that most precious commodity that a buyer can have - market information - and you will be completely free to make the choice you want.

Some people choose to use the limo services because they don't want to wait in line for the regular taxis. It aint rocket science.

Actually it is a scam when the Limo services AND Airport Information tell you that there is NOT a taxi service only limos, as happened to me on the first visit. I found the taxi rank in the end but not untl being lied to by almost everyone there.

It is a scam and a disgrace.

This airport was supposed to be as good as or better than KL, Hong Kong, Singapore and Seoul. At all of these airports you can stroll nicely to a metre taxi and get a fair fare. That's what people like and expect.

There's no market forces going on when the lack of regulation and control of the scam artists encourages them to block your route to the fair fare taxis.

You "streetwise" folks are both very selfish in your outlook and very naive in your opinions. A scam is a scam, be it in Calcutta, Phnom Penh or Bangkok. It's not the gateway that an "upmarket tourist" expects. First class ambitions, third class realities.