Ford Focus clutch

Just watched a video on the net showing how to change the clutch on a manual Ford Focus 2012.

As an old school mechanic I could not believe the work involved and the box full of special tools required.

I called a mate in the UK and he tells me it is a 800 to 1000 pound bill in UK.

No wonder secondhand cars are cheap in the UK.

Puts me off buying one here even if they look better value than the Japanese equivalent. (second hand)

Dunno about Focus, but some car design could be ridiculous

Used to change clutch for my Corolla at home, just slant transmission off engine I could install & center no problem, 1 man 1 hr job

Now have a Celica, clutch job requires engine out, transmission is damn heavy, requires 2 days and a crane and lots of thread repairing. Luckily there's a specialty shop could do it for reasonable price

• 2 weeks later...

My neighbour, who is 70 and not a mechanic, put a clutch & DMF flywheel in his 2011 Focus 1.6Tdi a few months ago. Clutch had collapsed at 52,000 miles. He suspects his Mrs, who he never rides with, of clutch riding. I lent him my big trolley jack to lower the box with, torque wrench and a few spline drive sockets, apart from that, no special tools were needed. 

I sourced a full clutch + DMF kit for under £400.

The £800 - 1000 price you mention will include a DMF. (Dual Mass Flywheel)