Kingdom’s role in the Great War recalled

geovalin

As the world on Sunday commemorated the 100th anniversary of the end of World War 1, or the Great War – originally known in French as Le Guerre Europeenne – back in 1914, the first dispatches to Phnom Penh from France requested 4,500 Cambodians to join the French war effort.

“That number was immediately lowered to 3,500,” said Henri Eckert, assistant professor of Indochinese history at Universite des Antilles in Martinique. “It’s impossible to tell how many Cambodians went to Europe.”

The smaller Cambodian volunteer contingent helped defend their colonial rulers under the larger banner of the Indochinese army, which also included Vietnamese and Laotians.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/kingdoms-role-great-war-recalled

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 13/11

42 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

My mistake

The Kingdom of Siam, now known as Thailand, is possibly one of the least well-known participants in World War I. Siam fought against the Central Powers by an active contribution, whatever the actual military value, to one of the most gruelling and critical campaigns of the war. It sent an Expeditionary Force dispatched to France, to serve on the Western Front. Siam entered the war in July 1917 by declaring war on Germany and Austria-Hungary

But in WW11, they entered into a pact with the Japanese in order to get back what they lost to the French  and declared war on the UK and America. They did not suffer because fo their actions 

My apologies to all and suindry. 

If you were sorry you wouldn't have tried to obfuscate Thailand's role in WWI with bringing up WWII nor would you have even mentioned Thailand as this thread is about Cambodia but who am I to get in the way of a typical Thai bash.   

How is it forbidden, when it is written and documented in many books, maybe not in Thailand but elsewhere. It is also documented in many articles accessible albeit in English on the Internet. It is not a slight on the current Government just factual history . It cannot be rewritten to make Thailand look better.

When I was coming here an old soldier who had fought in Singapore and incarcerated in Sing Sing, stated Thais are not to be trusted as their actions caused the death of thousands of Allied soldiers etc. facts over time are obviously blurred but their capitulation and allowing the Japanese to do what they did hastened the fall of Singapore, a factor not even considered by the Allied HQ's

15 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

If you were sorry you wouldn't have tried to obfuscate Thailand's role in WWI with bringing up WWII nor would you have even mentioned Thailand as this thread is about Cambodia but who am I to get in the way of a typical Thai bash.   

You need to read the facts not try to whitewash the evidence to suit your own agenda, True Cambodia and Laos including Vietnam were also involved and suffered but Thailand was not and the reasons for not suffering nowhere near as much are written and documented, Thailand like the others are part of what was called Indo -China,