Certified true translation of marriage license by Thai Consulate in Los Angeles

beechstreet

Am finally embarking on on the process of formalizing guardianship of my daughter (5 years old), my wife (Thai/US) passed away a few years ago. We were married in California in 2005 and moved to Thailand in 2009, just never got around to making the marriage official here, didn't seem that critical at the time. My name is on the birth certificate so didn't think anything else was need, but have come to understand recently that is not the case! So from my preliminary research I understand that I first need to have the California marriage certificate translated (and certified) by the Thai consulate (in Los Angeles). I'll be in LA for the holidays so seemed simple enough...Just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same process?

I emailed them in advance and seems there are more hoops I need to jump through before they will translate the document:

Document that requires translation (Original plus 1 copy)

The document must be submitted in full. Summaries or brief excerpts will not be accepted. The translator will certify official translations with a signature.

Documents issued by government agencies of the United States of America must pass through two stages of certification, which are:

i.        Secretary of State of the state issuing the document: You must get the document certified by the Secretary of State of the state that issued the document which requires translating. You can find more information on that and where exactly to send the document at www.nass.org (click ‘Resources’ > ‘Business Services’  > ‘Apostilles / Authentications’ > Click the state that issued your document)

ii.        U.S. Department of State: After getting your document certified by the Secretary of State of the issuing state, you must get it certified by the U.S. Department of State as well. Only after that, the document can be brought to the Royal Thai Consulate General, Los Angeles for an official translation. You may find out how to send your document to the U.S. Department of State and inquire for more information at:

Office of Authentications, U.S. Department of State
(202) 485 - 8000     
http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

Documents issued by government agencies of the United States must pass this two step process (through the Secretary of State of the issuing state and the Department of State) in order to prove to government agencies in Thailand that the issued documents are indeed official.

Luckily I have found that there is an office in Los Angeles that can perform the required authentication for the Secretary of California. But don't have a clear path of action for the US Department of State, seems like the embassy here could do that? Any advice or shared experience would be appreciated.

Why don't you have it certified by the US-embassy in Bangkok? and then registered at an amphur after everything has been translated and certified by the Thai ministry of foreign affairs. The embassy require you to make an affidavit about your marriage.

Note that you already have sole custody of your child, since you were married and your wife passed away. The only problem is that the marriage was not registered in Thailand. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good question... 

It says on the US Department of State's Website:

"Notarial and authentication services are one of the oldest traditional consular functions dating back to Statute I, Session I, Chapter 24 of April 14, 1792..."

But then that is in direct conflict with the US Embassy Thailand  website which states:

Services we CANNOT provide: 
U.S. law precludes the provision of notarial services in certain cases. Among others, Notarizing Officers cannot provide notarial services in connection with:

Authentication, certification, or certified copies of public documents issued in the U.S. such as birth, residency, marriage, divorce, and death certificates; commercial records, driver’s license, and other credentials. Such documents must be authenticated in the U.S. for use overseas; for additional details, please visit the Department of State’s Notarial and Authentication Services or...."

So now I am beginning the convoluted process of Fedexing my marriage certificate to Washington DC...seems to be the only option.