Extension of Stay - Retirement - TM30 required now?

Hi All, I've been here for years on a non-immigrant 0-A retirement visa/extension of stay.  Renting a condo in Bangkok, Immigration Office is Chaeng Wattana.  Recently I've heard rumours that to get your annual extension of stay you now need to submit a copy of the Form TM30 that is supposed to be filed by the landlord when you arrive, confirming your residence (but often in practice is not).  This document was never required in previous years when applying for an extension.  So, questions:

1. Is this now a requirement?  At Chaeng Wattana? 

2. Are there any other new requirements?  The old basics - Form TM7, passport, bank letter, bank book, photos, etc. - hadn't changed for quite some years as of January of this year (when I last extended).

Thanks for any advice!

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

Currently not required by the Bangkok immigration office.

Maestro, thanks, good to hear.  Have you been to Chaeng Wattana recently and confirmed this?  

If they do start requiring it in BKK, I'm wondering a couple things:  Would we need to just bring a copy, or would they require a signed (by the landlord) original TM30?  Also, suppose the landlord won't co-operate (possibly for fear of being fined for not filing it within 24 hours of your last arrival, or he's just unhelpful/unavailable)?  How are we supposed to comply?  

In CM, Udon, and Nonthaburi; they want the original in your passport.... extension time is when they nail people.  I own my condo, so I just showed the chinote.  Others have done their own as a leaseholder, but you may need copies of the owners blue book and ID.  Some offices are requiring an appearance by the owner.  I would actually put this as a high priority, if not the highest, when finding an apartment.  Foreign owner, out of area, and maybe not paying taxes...could really suck.  I went in two years ago, a few months before extension time, and paid a 1600 fine in CM...there were quite a few Thais in there getting squeezed, too.

12 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Why not do it online, it will show you the requirements in full and you can't make any mistake. I think it only you to enter the TM30 number, if my memory is correct (so that's not guaranteed). 

That is a feature not available to individuals...but is great if your apartment uses it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Ah. I own my house. Maybe it's different. 

If you owned your house; you sure as heck wouldn't need a visa....and if you are on some kind of grey area paper....best to be very low key about that.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, moontang said:

If you owned your house; you sure as heck wouldn't need a visa....and if you are on some kind of grey area paper....best to be very low key about that.

IT's possible for foreigners to own houses!

Only not the land where the house is build on. For this you need a lease or something else...

7 minutes ago, HampiK said:

IT's possible for foreigners to own houses!

Only not the land where the house is build on. For this you need a lease or something else...

That is often the grey area mentioned - it is likely not legal if done to to circumvent foreign ownership laws.  Some Condo ownership is officially allowed.

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, Speedhump said:

Ah. I own my house. Maybe it's different. 

Just curious Speedhump, do you own a house? Or, were you just joking with someone with above comment? I thought foreigners could not own land unless they had been granted permanent residency. If you do own a house, can you explain if you own just the house or the land also. I have Thai wife that's been wanting me to buy a house & land, but I will not do that if I have to put it in only her name because I wouldn't want to lose my $ in case of divorce. Kindly, Johnny

Edited by JohnnyBD

16 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:

Just curious Speedhump, do you own a house? Or, were you just joking with someone with above comment? I thought foreigners could not own land unless they had been granted permanent residency. If you do own a house, can you explain if you own just the house or the land also. I have Thai wife that's been wanting me to buy a house & land, but I will not do that if I have to put it in only her name because I wouldn't want to lose my $ in case of divorce. Kindly, Johnny

I own the house with a 30 year lease on the land, which the developer renews each time a house on the development is resold. The developer is well known and still building in other areas. The lease is 30/30/30 years in my option but this is not legally enforceable yet as the government don't recognise anything more than a 30 year lease. The time will come when they want to encourage longer term foreign investment, although I'm not convinced they will ever allow farang to own land. Any good lawyer can fill you in on the details of the ways farang do manage to buy land here. It's long been a grey area though, unless you actually will run a business from the premises. 

• 11 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 3:12 PM, lopburi3 said:

That is often the grey area mentioned - it is likely not legal if done to to circumvent foreign ownership laws.  Some Condo ownership is officially allowed.

Nothing at all illegal about taking a lease on land, or a usufruct, and building a house you own outright on it.

All 100% above board and farang only.