Non-immigrant "O" single vs multiple entry

I will be going back to the UK soon and once there, I plan to apply for a Non-immigrant O visa (based on marriage to a Thai). 

After looking on the London Embassy website, I see there is an option for a single (£50) or multiple entry (£125). I assume that the multiple entry will work similar to how the METV works, by letting me leave and come back in again after my initial 90 day stay and receive another 90 days.

My question is this though...

If I intend to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage at my local immigration office towards the end of my initial entry into Thailand, is there any need for me to opt for the multiple entry Non-O visa? Could I just apply for the single entry, then apply for an extension of stay within Thailand and then opt for a multiple entry solution there rather than when I apply for the visa in England?

I want to be able to come in and out of Thailand as I please but don't want to unnecessarily buy the multiple entry Non-O visa if I can just get the single entry and then opt for a multiple entry solution once I am ready to apply for an extension of stay.

Any advice would be greatly received 

4 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

If I intend to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage at my local immigration office towards the end of my initial entry into Thailand, is there any need for me to opt for the multiple entry Non-O visa?

No. You’d only need a single entry.

Once you have the extension of stay you can leave re-enter as often as you want using a re-entry permit. Single 1,000 baht; Multiple 3,800 baht.

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No. You’d only need a single entry.

Once you have the extension of stay you can leave re-enter as often as you want using a re-entry permit. Single 1,000 baht; Multiple 3,800 baht.

Thanks for the info - I hoped that might be the case

Do be aware that their is significant paperwork (varies by immigration office) and a 30-day "approval period" involved in the 1-year extension of stay.  Due to this, many use Non-O-ME Visas to avoid dealing with immigration in Thailand, even though it requires the leave or extend their visas periodically.  Correct that you only get 90-days permitted-stay on each entry, but these can be extended by 60-days at immigration to visit your wife - so up to 150-days per-entry.

In your case, if you need to travel frequently, the 30-day "approval period" could complicate things.  As well, you will need to be in Thailand the following year during the time you need to get a subsequent extension (also will have the 30-day approval period).  But, if you plan to be here more than 90-days at a time, and can be here during the approval-periods, the 1-year extension + multiple-entry permit could be less hassle, overall.

• Like 1

I would echo the good advice above. I had a marriage extension which was a pain to get with numerous trips to immigration. Plus 90 day reports Plus reentry permits.

For the last 2 years I have used a Non O multi based on marriage. Have to leave every 90 days but it is no hassle to me as it is nice to take a short holiday to a nearby country. Or just an 8 hour border run to Myanmar there and back from BKK.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

What is the earliest time I can apply for the extension of stay based on marriage after entering on a Non O visa?

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 entry from the visa if you have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of the 40k baht income.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 entry from the visa if you have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of the 40k baht income.

Thanks Ubonjoe. In my case it looks like the multiple entry would be the best thing as I know for sure I will be leaving within 90 days of the first two entries.

If I was to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage to my Non O multiple entry visa, would they add 275 days to complete the year only if the extension is made during the first 90 day entry period or can these 275 days be added to any subsequent entry? 

22 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

If I was to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage to my Non O multiple entry visa, would they add 275 days to complete the year only if the extension is made during the first 90 day entry period or can these 275 days be added to any subsequent entry? 

You can apply for the one year extension of any of the 90 day entries. The one year extension starts from the end of the 90 day entry.