Motor Bike Running Costs

lotus eater

Hi

I've always run a car - if anything. So I'm entirely ignorant about motorbikes. I'm about to become responsible for buying and a second hand honda 100 and then paying for the running costs. The purchase of the specific bike is agreed; and I think it's a fair price.

The bike is 30 months old. It'll do about 4000, max 5000 km a year. What should I budget for fuel, oil, maintenance etc? Alternatively if someone can give the raw data - fuel cost, mileage, etc I'll work it out myself.

Thanks a lot.

Running cost is so little it is hard to notice out of the weeks money.

60 baht for petrol a week, 100 baht max for puncture (new tube- not worth having a patch as it takes too long and never works). Servicing, don't make me laugh.

Replacement of rear view mirrors when the bike falls over, 80 baht a pair. Do I have to go on?

Thanks for that. I agreed to pay for this expense for my girlfriend's children's conveyance to and from school in the village with grandmother etc etc.

I assume these things are not prone to major or mechanical breakdowns or you would have mentioned it. The travel is going to be mostly over dirt roads - dust, sharp stones etc. I gather also that the expected mileage will be more like 8000 km.

Even so I see that the costs will be small once the bike purchase is paid for.

replacement Engine - 5000 bht

new Tyres - 300 bht

Just check the oil every two or three weeks. if the incidator is low, top it up. its 95bht for the good honda stuff that won't mess up your auto clutch. These bikes are cheap as chips to run. I have a tuned tiger 125 Engine in my Honda C70 ( 33 Years old) and get 100+kms off 90bht fill up. thats caning it too. The engines are so understressed they will go on forever. if you blow a piston. 800bht and 2-4 hours would cover a replacement. They are a doddle to work on though. you could do it yourself...

You will get between 30 and 40 kilometers per liter of 91 octane petrol. You could spend more feeding a large bird.

Large Thai Bird:

1,000 Bt + per Night

+ food about 50 Bt up

(So I am Told) :o

Sorry PB

Could not resist

:D

Edited by IvanLaw

Thanks for that. I agreed to pay for this expense for my girlfriend's children's conveyance to and from school in the village with grandmother etc etc.

And how much are you budgeting for hospital visits, damage to other vehicles in payouts etc..

I would imagine they will be many multiples of the initial cost of purchase and residual running costs of the bike.

And how much are you budgeting for hospital visits, damage to other vehicles in payouts etc..

I would imagine they will be many multiples of the initial cost of purchase and residual running costs of the bike.

The kids are 4 and 7. The grandmother is to ferry them to school and back every weekday - not many vehicles are passed on that dirt track 'road'. So I'm probably ok on thaty score. The rest of the time she'll probably use it for herself.

you are required to have an insurance, so that wont add on to the price : )

I thought this law was "honoured in the breach", especially in the boon docks. And the bike won't be in my name, and kept used out there in the village. Anyway this issue hasn't been raised with me at all. We live hundreds of miles away, here in Chiang Mai.

How old are you and have you ever owned ANY kind of vehicle? It doesn't matter if you own it or not, it must have insurance. You'll learn real quick that if you don't have insurance on ANY vehicle you drive,that YOU will be responsible for EVERYTHING. YOU are in a different world and if you can't grasp this concept, then don't drive.

I think lotuseater isn't actually planning to ride the bike but.......

Last november it was a smidgen over 500 baht to get the road test (MOT for Brits), insurance and tax including 15 baht because the test centre did everything for me, I went back 3 days later to collect the green book.

They even stuck the stickers on for me whilst I watched their TV.

How old are you and have you ever owned ANY kind of vehicle? It doesn't matter if you own it or not, it must have insurance. You'll learn real quick that if you don't have insurance on ANY vehicle you drive,that YOU will be responsible for EVERYTHING. YOU are in a different world and if you can't grasp this concept, then don't drive.

A bit over-excited? I've owned many cars over the years - in England, Bahrain and France; but never had anything to do with a motorbike.

I did make fairly clear that I will neither drive nor even own the bike; I've just offered to pay for its purchase and expenses. OK, it seems that I should add 500 baht for the insurance etc.