BMW celebrates record Thai sales

snoop1130

BMW celebrates record Thai sales

By The Nation

9b200e12ad6d81f3686cd6ba1ba27786.jpeg

BMW-MINI-BMW Motorrad Urban Stores by Millennium Auto

BMW Thailand recorded its strongest performance ever for the first three quarters of the year with 8,304 vehicles delivered to customers – an 18.2 per cent increase from the same period last year and already outpacing full-year sales in 2016.

Globally, BMW Group’s growth continues to gather pace as worldwide sales over the first nine months of 2018 grew by 1.3 per cent to 1,834,810 vehicles.

Thailand saw total BMW and Mini deliveries from January to September rise by 15.6 per cent to 8,903 vehicles to set yet another record. 

BMW Motorrad enjoyed strong year-to-date performance with 1,425 motorcycles delivered for an increase of 9.4 per cent year-on-year.

Christian Wiedmann, president of BMW Group Thailand, said: “Our leading position as a premium automaker continues to grow stronger in Thailand and around the world. 

"The exceptional performance we have seen throughout this year is testament to the trust that Thai automotive enthusiasts have placed in our three brands as well as the incredible effort from our network of authorised dealers across the country."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358634

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-15

12 hours ago, NE1 said:

Good old finance and HP .

In the UK the way to have a new car nowadays is via PCP (Personal Contract Purchase) and not to ever own it and because the deposit and payments are stacked towards the person never making a final payment to take ownership, the vehicle supplier who will be VAT registered is able to reclaim 100% of the 20% VAT that the new car attracts, making it a very good incentive to never actually own a car. Of course if you are someone that intends to keep the car for over 5 years then you'll probably not be interested in having a vehicle on PCP.   

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Media1 said:

All bullshit. Minimal prestige. And most are financed. l know a lady who did just that wearing all her gold. Two bob millionaires. l like the repossession auctions 

Its the same in the other side of the world. So I don't see why folks are pointing it out. For accounting reasons many folks finance the car on purpose too. Thailand has low interest rates also, that is why many also finance.

• Like 1

That's odd as where I live everyone ditched the beamers and now only see mercs everywhere !

Would love to own a dealership but you need be seriously minted to start one here from what I read into it . No difficulty selling them to the rich that's for sure .

3 hours ago, mike324 said:

Its the same in the other side of the world. So I don't see why folks are pointing it out. For accounting reasons many folks finance the car on purpose too. Thailand has low interest rates also, that is why many also finance.

You should read up on what they actually pay....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NE1 said:

So this PCP is like a permanent rent a car.

After a while can you chooses a later model or something like that ?

Yes thats pretty much my understanding of the system. I think the main part is the 20% reduced cost because of the ability to effectively deliver the new car to the customer without the required charge for VAT

From a stereotypical point of view...

More BMW sales = more beemers out on the road = less indicator lights = more tailgates = parking lot need more tow jacks ???? Driver beware!

note: Not apply to BMW comrades with Toyota / Nissan engine

Edited by Coremouse
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, strai8 said:

It just shows how out of touch expats are with the real world. The days of big bwana on his little pension feeling superior to "poor Thais" is long gone.  looking at the cars on suhkumvit rd there isnt a single 'klunker" amongst them, all late model. back in the west its easy to see old rust buckets everywhere

There are a few things to consider when making such a statement.

1. Thais still do not earn more on average than Europeans nor do they have higher rates of savings even if they don't pay a dime in income tax or have a lower cost of living.

2. Most Europeans see cars as appliances, if a rust bucket still runs well, then there's no point in replacing it. Thais replace a car when they want to, not when they need to; they see cars as a personal extension of themselves.

3. You're seeing a lot of expensive cars in Bangkok because most of the middle-class with a regular sub-2 million baht car is more likely to use public transport in that area. Check the airport link station Huamark, it's full of regular cars parked, it's of people that are from the suburbs going to work in the city.

4. Thais are more willing to spend more than half of their annual salary on a car. 50,000 baht per month salary and 20,000 baht per month car payment is very common.

4. You will see the same expensive cars in any big European cities. When I was in the Italian countryside I saw many old rusted Pandas and Golfs, but as soon as I got into Milan, old cars disappeared and there were many late model Audis, Mercs, and BMWs, same as Bangkok.

Edited by MatteoBassini
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

There are a few things to consider when making such a statement.

1. Thais still do not earn more on average than Europeans nor do they have higher rates of savings even if they don't pay a dime in income tax or have a lower cost of living.

2. Most Europeans see cars as appliances, if a rust bucket still runs well, then there's no point in replacing it. Thais replace a car when they want to, not when they need to; they see cars as a personal extension of themselves.

3. You're seeing a lot of expensive cars in Bangkok because most of the middle-class with a regular sub-2 million baht car is more likely to use public transport in that area. Check the airport link station Huamark, it's full of regular cars parked, it's of people that are from the suburbs going to work in the city.

4. Thais are more willing to spend more than half of their annual salary on a car. 50,000 baht per month salary and 20,000 baht per month car payment is very common.

4. You will see the same expensive cars in any big European cities. When I was in the Italian countryside I saw many old rusted Pandas and Golfs, but as soon as I got into Milan, old cars disappeared and there were many late model Audis, Mercs, and BMWs, same as Bangkok.

Pretty off the mark on most points. Your math is bad too. More than half of 50k is not 20k. I see new luxury cars all over Europe. I could not believe how many in central Sofia , Bulgaria I saw last month, which is not considered wealthy. How often do you really see late model BMW’s and Merc in BKK? I bet most posters see a huge number of new ones mainly. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, strai8 said:

It just shows how out of touch expats are with the real world. The days of big bwana on his little pension feeling superior to "poor Thais" is long gone. 

With the banks extending loans to anyone who breathes and has a pulse, every Thai is a 'big bwana' unless the house of cards comes down.  What the vast majority of Thais own has nothing to do with wealth, but is directly related to how much debt they are under, and a large number of them unable to service.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

As is around the world, the Thai wealthy are doing well harvesting the wealth from the rest us and buying bling, cars, and airplanes to show us how well they are doing. 

pease explain how they "harvest" from us.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

As is around the world, the Thai wealthy are doing well harvesting the wealth from the rest us and buying bling, cars, and airplanes to show us how well they are doing. 

Thought they just wanted to travel in whatever they buy..????

1 minute ago, mike324 said:

it doesn't really matter what people pay, my point was people finance the car in the west just as much because many can't afford it

Sadly in LOS early repayment is a rip off, and lone periods on offer...Seems the 7 year one to attract affordable monthly payments is a wow....

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 2:18 PM, strai8 said:

+Reading all of the posts about los economy in free fall you would think the Honda civic is the new luxury car ????

I hope they have sorted the terminal engine failure in their two litre diesel engines or they will soon be very unpopular!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/bmw-faces-raft-of-legal-cases-over-car-engine-failures-35668332.html

On 11/16/2018 at 1:03 AM, transam said:

I don't feel superior to anyone sunbeam...????

Ask any of the new ride owners that you are talking about if they have a blue book, I reckon most will say no, I get it in 7 years time...????

Most likely scenario !

On 11/20/2018 at 4:45 AM, transam said:

Sadly in LOS early repayment is a rip off, and lone periods on offer...Seems the 7 year one to attract affordable monthly payments is a wow....

Problem is the vehicles are often worn out before the car is paid for !

On 11/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, strai8 said:

It just shows how out of touch expats are with the real world. The days of big bwana on his little pension feeling superior to "poor Thais" is long gone.  looking at the cars on suhkumvit rd there isnt a single 'klunker" amongst them, all late model. back in the west its easy to see old rust buckets everywhere

Expats are out of touch? Thai's still can't even build more than a hunk of scrap tuk tuk with a knock off Chinese boom boom system covered in stickers. Let the Thai's even make a car first and then get back with me.