Bali jail fugitive Shaun Davidson’s cheeky Thai check in

webfact

Bali jail fugitive Shaun Davidson’s cheeky Thai check in

Australian Shaun Davidson has supposedly resurfaced in Thailand almost 18 months after his daring escape from Kerobokan jail.

Marnie O’Neill

sd.jpg

video screenshot

An Australian man who pulled off a daring escape from one of the world’s most notorious prisons has supposedly resurfaced in Thailand after almost 18 months on the run.

Shaun Davidson posted a cheeky Facebook “check in” from tourist mecca Phuket over the weekend, sparking an avalanche of comments from his thousands of followers.

He followed up with a declaration that he would not “reply to negativity, only good vibes”.

Full story: https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/bali-jail-fugitive-shaun-davidsons-cheeky-thai-check-in/news-story/b14fae94b36eeb4278262061faed682f

news_comau_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright News.com.au 2018-11-19

You can "Check In" on Facebook from anywhere in the world - even if you've never been there in your life.

Someone else did the same thing a couple years ago when they were on the run. They kept "Checking In" from different locations around the world to try and throw off the police. 
I wasn't sure, so I tried it on my Facebook and was able to "Check In" from Berlin and a couple other major cities, even though I was still sitting in Pattaya.

I just checked again and you can still do it. When you open the "Check In" function, it shows a list of places close to you and lets you search for a place as well. You simply put in a location,  say "Kathmandu" for example, and then select it from the list of matching places shown. I just "Checked In" from Mount Everest. And now I'm in Mongolia !

(However, if you are posting on Facebook they can probably track the ISP of where you are actually making the posts from. If you are in India and "Checking In" as though you are in Thailand though, it could be harder to track you - though I'm sure it can still be done.)

• Like 1

Considering he only had 3 months left of a one year sentence i think it was pretty stupid to do a runner.

Doubt he's in Thailand if he's checked in here.

Wherever he is, he's there illegally and will end up in jail again for longer and may well get deported back to Bali if he isn't already there to serve an extended sentence.

He'll be back in jail for a lot longer than 3 months soon enough i reckon.

The only thing that he could gain out of it is when he is eventually freed, he may make some cash from selling the story.

His choices, his crime was hardly the crime of the century so up to him I guess.

1 minute ago, MARK74 said:

Considering he only had 3 months left of a one year sentence i think it was pretty stupid to do a runner.

Wherever he is, he's there illegally and will end up in jail again for longer and may well get deported back to Bali if he isn't already there to serve an extended sentence.

The only thing that he could gain out of it is when he is eventually freed, he may make some cash from selling the story.

His choices, his crime was hardly the crime of the century so up to him I guess.

From memory, he was about to be deported back to Australia where he was facing big jail time for serious offences.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marcho said:

He is probably using a good VPN too

Not going to help if he is in a country in "the 14 eyes."

https://thebestvpn.com/5-9-14-eyes-countries/

https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/vpn-provider-14-eyes-country-something-know/

Even The Tor Project does not offer 100% anonymity.  No encryption between the user and the first node, and the last node and the receiver.  (node = onion)

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MARK74 said:

"he may make some cash from selling the story." - which is now deemed to be the proceeds of crime and can be confiscated. 

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

"he may make some cash from selling the story." - which is now deemed to be the proceeds of crime and can be confiscated. 

Are you sure about that? so all the ex cons who have released books etc have their money confiscated? which countries? I find that hard to believe.

Edited by MARK74

3 hours ago, MARK74 said:

Are you sure about that? so all the ex cons who have released books etc have their money confiscated? which countries? I find that hard to believe.

This is the most relevant case I could find on a quick Google.  Australian, in a Bali jail, later released.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-29/could-schapelle-corby-make-a-profit-from-drug-smuggling/8569504

Extract:

"Queensland Law Society past president Bill Potts said it would be illegal for Ms Corby to profit from selling her story through sponsorships or media interview deals."

"If she receives any money — directly or indirectly, and that includes through friends, through marketers and through family — then the Commonwealth Government can claw this money back," he said.

As an example, if you traffic, manufacture, or deal a lot of drugs, and amass a fortune, you don't get to go to jail for a while, do your time, and leave jail a rich man.  You also don't get to make more money out of those crimes by selling the story.  

Now, how that will work with a cryptocurrency, or an offshore bank account, is another matter. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Actually surprisingly often:

https://qz.com/923648/why-do-highly-intelligent-people-commit-crimes/

Ok, intelligent people do commit crimes often enough to be noticed, but nowhere near as often as ignorant/stupid/dumb/malicious/antagonistic/moronic folk do :), ya' think?

and maybe I shouldn't have added malicious and antagonistic as they could very well qualify as Mensa????

Edited by Dap