Ikea store in Italy draws praise for opening its doors to stray dogs

webfact

Ikea store in Italy draws praise for opening its doors to stray dogs

Derek Wong

Animal lovers have taken to social media to praise an Ikea store in Italy for opening its doors to stray dogs, with many posts showing the canines happily lounging among furniture displays.

Ms Martine Taccia posted a video on Facebook of two stray dogs enjoying the warmth provided by the rugs at the store in Catania.

"A good initiative to shelter the strays while it's raining outside," she wrote in Italian in the post on Nov 11.

Full story: https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/ikea-store-in-italy-draws-praise-for-opening-its-doors-to-stray-dogs

-- The Straits Times 2018-11-19

ak_dog_1911.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's see what this does for their sales.

I mean, why wouldn't you want your children cuddling up to stray mutts which have been living on the streets?

Most likely, sales will decline, the policy will be reversed, and the store will have to issue a grovelling apology to the activists who are praising the current move.

9 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Let's see what this does for their sales.

I mean, why wouldn't you want your children cuddling up to stray mutts which have been living on the streets?

Most likely, sales will decline, the policy will be reversed, and the store will have to issue a grovelling apology to the activists who are praising the current move.

Wait,you take your children to ikea to cuddle rugs and furniture ? 

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

Wait,you take your children to ikea to cuddle rugs and furniture ? 

I don't go to Ikea at all.

But families take children there, and young children especially are naturally attracted to animals, along with any parasites they may have brought in from the streets.

There is a reason that dogs are legally excluded from places such as restaurants; dogs tend to be unhygienic in the extreme. They also carry rabies, which is an extremely virulent and unpleasant disease.

44 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

But families take children there, and young children especially are naturally attracted to animals, along with any parasites they may have brought in from the streets.

There is a reason that dogs are legally excluded from places such as restaurants; dogs tend to be unhygienic in the extreme. They also carry rabies, which is an extremely virulent and unpleasant disease.

I see, so people do not bring parasites and deadly diseases into store? 

Rabies is unpleasant and is it common in Italy ? Say in comparison to malaria or measles or hep A and B or herpes or meningitis ?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Fairly obvious you are no dog lover. Personally I salute IKEA for allowing the dogs inside. And I somehow doubt that Italian dogs carry rabies.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BestB said:

I see, so people do not bring parasites and deadly diseases into store? 

Rabies is unpleasant and is it common in Italy ? Say in comparison to malaria or measles or hep A and B or herpes or meningitis ?

Well, i am from northern Italy, it must be 40 years or more since i saw a stray dog.

Of course rabies is not common at all, and i am actually surprised that they still have stray dogs in southern Italy, not to talk about allowing them in the shops.

I like animals, but i am not fond of stray dogs, and this thing about Ikea leaves me slightly confused.

58 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i am from northern Italy, it must be 40 years or more since i saw a stray dog.

Of course rabies is not common at all, and i am actually surprised that they still have stray dogs in southern Italy, not to talk about allowing them in the shops.

I like animals, but i am not fond of stray dogs, and this thing about Ikea leaves me slightly confused.

Stray dogs are no different to home dogs. Difference is home dogs have love and someone to feed and look after them. Stray dogs do not. Giving them warm shelter is hardly confusing or inhuman 

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Stray dogs are no different to home dogs. Difference is home dogs have love and someone to feed and look after them. Stray dogs do not. Giving them warm shelter is hardly confusing or inhuman 

Being compassionate to stray dogs is a good thing, but when there are too many, they can become a problem, as we can see in Thai cities.

As for allowing stray dogs in a shop, i guess that's some good advertising for dog lovers, not so good for the rest of the people, that's the reason why i am confused.

• Like 1