Pheu Thai members shift base as survival tactic

webfact

Pheu Thai members shift base as survival tactic

By THE NATION

2b140ab6bed976a4f730c35857acd0f3.jpeg

Pheu Thai Party's politicians join its sister party Thai Raksa Chart to avoid political threats it is facing.

SINCE THE 2017 Constitution was never designed to favour the party, Pheu Thai is now seeing its members joining other parties, Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham Wechayachai said yesterday after one of the party’s former core leaders, Chaturon Chaisang, decided to shift to Thai Raksa Chart.

“Politicians have to find a way to make things work in this parliamentary system,” Phumtham said. “[We] understand that they have to leave, so no hard feelings.”

The new election process included in the junta-driven Constitution is expected to cost larger political parties their party-list MPs, which is why politicians are shifting to other parties as they see fit.

Although the secretary-general claimed to be dismayed by the change, he remained confident that Pheu Thai would come first in the upcoming election. Voters put more trust in the party’s policy direction than in individual members, he said.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai’s former party-list MP Chaturon yesterday bid farewell to his colleagues after deciding to join its sister party Thai Raksa Chart.

Amid rumours that the shift was due to an internal conflict over leadership, Chaturon insisted his decision did not stem from any conflicts or dissatisfaction. Rather, he said, it was the current political circumstances that forced him to leave.

Apart from Chaturon, several other Pheu Thai politicians have shifted to Thai Raksa Chart, including Pichai Nariptaphan, Anuttama Amornwiwat and Kusumalawati Sirikomut.

Getting experienced politicians to join related parties is also seen as a response to the potential dissolution of Pheu Thai, which is under scrutiny over its alleged relations with fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Constitution prohibits any outside influence over local political parties, and if found guilty, it could face dissolution and executives subsequently banned from politics.

Also if the party is dissolved close to the election, the MP candidates may not have enough time to join new parties and run in the election.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358892

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-20

12 hours ago, YetAnother said:
14 hours ago, webfact said:

Also if the party is dissolved close to the election, the MP candidates may not have enough time to join new parties and run in the election.

betting that is the junta plan

It's a good plan. Why should any parties with connections to criminals be allowed in any election?

Why are those accused terrorist in the first line still out on bail and not in jail?

It's time to lock them up.

And it's time to dissolve any party which is willing to have members like these dangerous red-shirt leaders.

Yes, I know Prayut is far away from perfect but he is still a lot better than Thaksin and his red mob.

Thai people should have to chose between honest and more honest politicians. And corrupt politicians and any politicians who work together with known corrupt and/or criminal politicians should never be allowed in any election.

How can people expect an honest government if it is full of corrupt criminals? Why do people still vote for this scum?

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's a good plan. Why should any parties with connections to criminals be allowed in any election?

There would be no elections if they banned all with "connections", go to let a few criminals in else there would be no elections to join in the farce ???? 

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 4:15 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why are those accused terrorist in the first line still out on bail and not in jail?

It's time to lock them up.

And it's time to dissolve any party which is willing to have members like these dangerous red-shirt leaders.

Yes, I know Prayut is far away from perfect but he is still a lot better than Thaksin and his red mob.

Thai people should have to chose between honest and more honest politicians. And corrupt politicians and any politicians who work together with known corrupt and/or criminal politicians should never be allowed in any election.

How can people expect an honest government if it is full of corrupt criminals? Why do people still vote for this scum?

Obvious, that you [and most others] don't realize who any of the bad  guys might be......

Worse is that you propose yourself from a distance, as most do.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 7:15 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Right. Got that.

2 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Wow! a farang junta asslicker! Who knows nothing about Thai politics

I was hear when the aggressive red shirts were in the city. I saw the fires and lots of smoke.

I also saw the soldiers on the streets and the happy people who gave them flowers and soft drinks.

Thaksin and his minions, including his little sister, divided Thailand like nobody before them. And they enriched themselves to levels like few other people. We really really don't need more of Thaksin and his dark influence.

The military far away from perfect. But just the fact that they made sure the red mob stayed away from the streets for the last years is a positive achievement.

Thailand should have intelligent, honest politicians. The only problem is the masses, especially in the NE, don't vote for intelligent honest people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Markaoffy is right; you really know nothing about Thai politics. You just took a small portion of Thai history of regular military coups and condense it to suit your opinion. You also have an elitist attitude with your derogatory remark of the NE people and have no respect for the people choice of the leaders that they want. 

Tell me why should I respect people who again and again vote for criminals? And if the criminals are banned or out of the country then these people vote for the relatives of those criminals. Same same, not much different.

How can these people expect an honest government if they vote again and again for corrupt politicians?

How can anyone respect people who vote for criminals? It's just stupid!

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Tell me why should I respect people who again and again vote for criminals? And if the criminals are banned or out of the country then these people vote for the relatives of those criminals. Same same, not much different.

How can these people expect an honest government if they vote again and again for corrupt politicians?

They all take advantage of the humble Thai, but it is for the humble Thai decide who they wish to vote for, not those who wear jackboots.  If competing politicians are unable to curry favor in the east or far north, that is their problem / failure.  These are the teething pains of participatory government.  Like many people told me when the green team took power:  If you do not like it, leave.  They have since changed their tune and they would like to see the military out of government.  Given how bad things have become, anybody who wins the election fairly is a better option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You really have to ask this question ? It is called democracy. And in a democracy the majority rules. It is that simple. There is a clear reason why these people vote for Thaksin. People that don't respect this, have no place in this society, or any other for that matter. 

• Like 1

Criminals? Who are the criminals who are going to stand for election ? If you knew anything you’d know any proven are not allowed to stand ! The only criminals are those who take control, illegally,remove a government,prevent any public opposition for 5 years and then claim

to represent best interests of the people ! We all know the CRIMINALS

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

It won't matter what any of these political parties do....the Junta will fix it ultimately so that they get their way. Baring revolution on a wide scale, then the same as now will be somehow delivered to the masses. Don't get your expectation up folks, unless there is some massive groundswell of action which I doubt. We will see...but i'm cynical.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 7:15 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Well, perhaps, just perhaps, after 4 years the junta have failed to come up with sufficient evidence to convict them, even allowing for their (the junta's) considerable influence in the judicial system?

I do understand, and to some extent sympathise with your frustration. After all, in your apparent political utopia, the mere word of a man in the right uniform should be sufficient to have them dragged off to jail. And why not, such well founded accusatory processes worked so well for, umh, let me see, McCarthyism, and the Salem Witch Trials? Roland Freisler operated a similar system with the "Peoples Court" (Volksgerichtshof) in Germany in 1944 and1945. So much simpler and far more efficient. Mind you, I thought his untimely end was quite simple and efficient as well, eviscerated by a bomb whilst running from his courtroom, where he was in the process of sentencing another batch of alleged terrorists, to an air raid shelter. A great loss to the philosophy behind the establishment of the new judicial order which you seem to favour...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

You really have to ask this question ? It is called democracy. And in a democracy the majority rules. It is that simple. There is a clear reason why these people vote for Thaksin. People that don't respect this, have no place in this society, or any other for that matter. 

Democracy is not everything! There is also the rule of law.

Just look at the USA. Trump was elected and judges stop him from time to time because he does things he is not allowed to do.

And maybe judges will show one day enough evidence against him to remove him from that job.

Democracy does not mean people can allow any criminal to do what he wants to do. Judges should stop that criminal.

But smart people don't vote for criminals in the first place. A little common sense is enough to understand why.

9 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Criminals? Who are the criminals who are going to stand for election ? If you knew anything you’d know any proven are not allowed to stand ! The only criminals are those who take control, illegally,remove a government,prevent any public opposition for 5 years and then claim

to represent best interests of the people ! We all know the CRIMINALS

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How do you call all those minions who go to visit their unofficial party leader to get his commands what they should do. They act for a criminal, not for the Thai people.

If you respect people who follow the commands of a criminal maybe think again if that is a good choice.

Given the reasons the junta staged their coup , to stamp out corruption,nepotism and populist policies you would have to be blind not to see that far from stamping these evils out they have merely slipped on the Shinawatras old shoes.

As soon as they snatched power they appointed themselves top civilian posts to ' oversee ' transparency, then employed members of their own families as secretaries etc paid for by tax payers money.

There have been numerous corruption scandals they have been caught in but they have immunity.

And as for populist policies, they are now handing out billions of baht in an attempt to buy votes from the rural electorate.

The only thing they have stamped out is democracy and the only agenda they have it to rubber stamp their oligarchy with a sham rigged election.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Democracy is not everything! There is also the rule of law.

Just look at the USA. Trump was elected and judges stop him from time to time because he does things he is not allowed to do.

And maybe judges will show one day enough evidence against him to remove him from that job.

Democracy does not mean people can allow any criminal to do what he wants to do. Judges should stop that criminal.

But smart people don't vote for criminals in the first place. A little common sense is enough to understand why.

What's your argument here?

Before the coup Thailand had decent democracy, reasonable rule of law and enough press freedom to scrutinise both.

Now it has zero democracy, zero rule of law and each day edges towards zero press freedom.

Smart people don't post hypocritical, irrational nonsense.

As for common sense..... missed that boat too.

• Haha 1