7-Eleven wages war on plastic bags

webfact

11 hours ago, plachon said:

Somebody doesn't follow the news very much or deeply......the life in the oceans is dying from plastic pollution (whales, turtles, sea birds, etc.) and fish are ingesting micro-plastics at an ever increasing rate. People eat fish and ergo ingest micro-plastic....you are what you eat......and now scientists find that micro-plastics are great sponges for toxins of various kinds. It doesn't take a genius to work out what will be happening to humans before too long..... micro-plastics also turn up in most bottled water and are pretty much ubiquitous in the food cycle now.......so, yes, it is a "war" we need to wage against plastic, if we want to survive as a species. ????

Ok, take the machine guns out and kill all that plastic. Or better call in the stealth fighters and nuke it in your war.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 10:30 AM, owl sees all said:

My local Tesco shop only reluctantly will put an item in two bags.

A couple of weeks ago a check-out lady put over 4kg of drinks in just one bag. As I was lifting it off the counter, the carton made a hole in the plastic bag. Rendering it useless. She (check-out girl) then attempted to put the goods into a second bag,,, and you have guessed it; the bag split right across the bottom. The cartons of fruit drinks fell out but fortunately did not damage to the point where fluid leaked out.

Now, was this a one-off defective bag? I don't know because I now do my shopping at Big C. Their bags are green (environmentally more friendly),  and the check-out ladies seem more clued up on the stuff they actually put in the bags.

The downside to me now going to Big C is that the check-out ladies are not as lovely looking as at Tescos, but are more efficient.

I do moan though at Big C. It's that sometimes they mix refrigerated goods with non-refrigerated goods.

Ooh poor man, having observed how the plastic bags have been abused ????.

It seems you don't have enough money (only a few THB) to buy 1, 2 or 3 cotton bags and carry them with you when you leave for shopping ?

Problem solved and you never are able to complain of the "plastic abuse" in 7/11 or anywhere else. The problem isn't 7/11, but you.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2018 at 7:35 AM, lopburi3 said:

I do not find that at all - when 2 are used it is for valid weight reasons.  And in any case they will not be single use for most of us as will double as trash bin liners at home.  It is straws/plastic cups/small bags that should be first target IMHO - as they serve no function after single use (and in case of straws are not required for most uses).  It may be turning back time but paper can be used for a lot of bag applications but for now seems confined to hospital use (probably due cost - but expect that could be greatly lowered with wider usage).

I beg to differ.  Example from 20 minutes ago - I have just been to 7/11 to buy one solitary large bottle of Leo.  I had to almost force her to NOT put it into TWO large plastic bags.  I mean, I had to be really insistent but she still didn't look happy.  

Also, I disagree with the pretty specious argument that these plastic bags aren't single use because they can be used later for bin liners at home!  Wow, so we are saving the planet because they become double use before they are still thrown away with the rubbish they hold?  Pfffft!  Come on - that was surely meant as a joke, yes?

Straws I can go along with.  I cannot understand the affinity Thais have for drinking through a straw.    I have heard all about Lyme disease, but it seems to me to be more than that.  Again, I have to insist in 7/11 that, when I buy a bottle of milk for my morning tea, they don't shove a bloody cellophane-wrapped straw in the single/double-use bag they put the milk in.

Another true story which shows the futility of trying to educate people not to use excess packaging - I was in the supermarket at the Mall Ngam Wong Wan about 12 years ago where they were having a big push to sell hessian-style cloth strong shopping bags so as to not use plastic ones.

A woman in the queue in front of me bought two of these cloth bags and then instructed the kids on the till to pack all her purchases into plastic bags, which they then put into the stronger cloth bags!!!!  The idiocy here often beggars belief.  

Edited by Mister Fixit
Butterfingers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2018 at 5:22 PM, SunsetT said:

Take your own strong bag and say NO to any plastic bags. If u buy just one or 2 items and u have your car, motorbike, or bicycle with u, u dont need a bag to carry them to your mode of transport.

Er, what makes you think I don't always go out shopping with a strong and capacious backpack so I don't need any plastic bags? 

It's just that at times it's almost impossible not to stop the checkout people put goods into a plastic bag automatically, even though I am standing there with the backpack open on the cashier's desk.

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Well, that's YOUR local Tesco.  Hadn't it occurred to you that not all staff in all Tescos behave in the same way?

I think you have to take these stores on an individual basis at the moment until the stores get together to establish an industry standard. 

5 minutes ago, josietruman said:
On 11/20/2018 at 9:36 AM, Mister Fixit said:

It would be a good start if the idiots in 7/11 (as well as Tesco and Big C) didn't put anything heavier than a large bottle of milk or beer in TWO plastic bags!   ????  ????

You have made my point eloquently guys.

29 minutes ago, josietruman said:

lol 

And this is no laughing matter josietruman.

Look at it this way! If the checkout ladies do not have a standard to work to, is it no wonder that they are confused, and, that makes us confused. What would happen if a checkout lady put 4kg in one bag and as you were lifting it into the pick-up, the bag broke? The contents could easily spoil on the floor. And! if it was cartons of drinks, they could split open. What could we say to the Tesco/Big C/7-11 top management? It would be a waste of time asking, in the case of 7-11, 'cause they don't get back to you ( just ask bluesofa or read his posts in '7 eleven rant').

The way forward, surely, is for the checkout, industry standard to limit one bag to say 3kg maximum, and if the goods can't be put into two bags then double bag them if over. Unless one of the items has a sharp corner, in which case I would say 1kg. Or glass; which would be less again, because of the safety aspect of broken glass all over the place.

Yesterday, - as I posted I would - I hung three plastic bags on the fence to test for durability out in the elements; general degeneration and rate-of-decay also. I've just been outside to inspect them and the Big C one has blown off the fence and is in a tree. I'm gonna start all over; making sure that I fix them more securely this time.

ps; I will ask the wife to climb up the tree.

2 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Er, what makes you think I don't always go out shopping with a strong and capacious backpack so I don't need any plastic bags? 

It's just that at times it's almost impossible not to stop the checkout people put goods into a plastic bag automatically, even though I am standing there with the backpack open on the cashier's desk.

I know, u must be quick! Just say : "Mai aow krap!" and get them to take them out again.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I know, u must be quick! Just say : "Mai aow krap!" and get them to take them out again.

And then watch the puzzled look on their faces when you say that, and when you have to actually take the purchases out yourself and then hand them the bag back because they are too completely stunned to be able to function after being asked that.  

On 11/24/2018 at 2:31 PM, Mister Fixit said:

And then watch the puzzled look on their faces when you say that, and when you have to actually take the purchases out yourself and then hand them the bag back because they are too completely stunned to be able to function after being asked that.  

Yes they do look puzzled but less so recently, especially if u shop there regularly. But no. In my experience, if u say no and point at your own bag they will remove stuff from their bags and put them in your bag or give them to u to pack yourself. But if what u say happens, so what! Thats what it takes to changed entrenched habits and do something positive about a serious pollution problem that threatens us all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jerojero said:

Just mandate paper bags, no plastic.

1.  There is no paper available to meet needs?

2.  This is often a damp and rainy place - paper does not hold up.

3.  Are you old enough to remember paper shopping bags?  Not a great memory as often had bottoms fall out if not cut by corner of box.  Could hold very little weight.

That said also believe 7/11 type use of paper bags could be viable and a help.  But believe governments are the real villain in that they are not doing nearly enough in educating/policing trash collection and allowing them to get into the waters.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

On 11/22/2018 at 1:37 PM, puck2 said:

Ooh poor man, having observed how the plastic bags have been abused ????.

It seems you don't have enough money (only a few THB) to buy 1, 2 or 3 cotton bags and carry them with you when you leave for shopping ?

Problem solved and you never are able to complain of the "plastic abuse" in 7/11 or anywhere else. The problem isn't 7/11, but you.

Not me any more puck2 because I will not, ever, be going into another 7-11. I've had enough! And Ron and Professor Pigeon are supporting me in this.

And, I have to answer the charge that, and I quote; "It seems you don't have enough money (only a few THB) to buy 1, 2 or 3 cotton bags and carry them with you when you leave for shopping ?"

I'm very, environmentally aware and one of the reasons I favour Big C, is because their bags are green in colour. I've had cotton bags, jute bags, nylon bags, hessian bags and paper bags in the past.

One thing I do not do, is turn the plastic bag inside out before putting the goods in. Very bad luck; like wearing your clothes inside-out in public.

ps: just an update on the plastic bags on the fence experiment. So far there doesn't seem any change. Today I gonna throw salty water on them to simulate a beach setting.

Edited by owl sees all
inserted 'is' into sentence
  • Like 1