Thai Tourism Ministry seeking to boost street food quality

webfact

7 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Does this mean soon it'll be prohibited to just  wipe off dishes, silverware  and glasses in the street gutter with cold water?

Who knows , next food stall sellers will  be expected to somehow wash their hands after taking a crap.    ????

Adds that earthy local flavour so welcome to sophisticated palates

Seriously, if you are too ignorant or lazy to clean the ******* utensils, you should be closed down because you’re also too ignorant or lazy to wash your hands after you use the bathroom, properly clean your food, or dispose of old food.

It would never be enforced, but they need a health code standard. The food stalls and restaurants will rise and be permitted to operate, and the bad ones closed.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:34 PM, Justgrazing said:

As well as nana's these sellers who also do GM Melons that are partly out in the open have to be marked down under hygiene rules for not having ( velvet ) gloves on when handling nana's ..

IMG_20181120_092347.jpg

...ahm...what...sorry...I didn't pay attention...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

The government and the BMA have already made many street vendors disappear, and now they are going for the few that remain ? Most tourists don't even use those street vendors anyway. I wish they stopped harassing these people. Before you know it every Thai on minimum wage needs to use the junk sold at 7-11 because all the cheap street vendors are gone !

idiots. 

No shortage of street food in Thonburi

On 11/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, webfact said:

Citing the latest available figures, Weerasak said that as of 2016 there were 103,000 street food outlets in Thailand, constituting 69 per cent of all food shops in the country.

Conveniently, the "latest available figures" cite the number of operators that used to exist before they got wiped out of existence. 

Really ? Street hygiene? 

What are they going to do with the thousands of big, fat rats running around ? 

Maybe they can fry them in spicy sauce? 

2pm.jpg.3c41760b475c2e2ac8055a0d0d7d233a

Edited by balo

The government and the BMA have already made many street vendors disappear, and now they are going for the few that remain ? Most tourists don't even use those street vendors anyway. I wish they stopped harassing these people. Before you know it every Thai on minimum wage needs to use the junk sold at 7-11 because all the cheap street vendors are gone !

idiots. 
Your missing the point. Those dirty scum are polluters and block footpaths. BEST thing junta did was burn them. No more slurping soup for the teachers so back to chasing balloons...
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

They've been going for the big name areas first, no doubt they'll be along presently... 

There are no tourists nor whingey farang where Im at. Maybe in 10 years and by then, Ill be up in Isaan living in a shack with a girl 40 years younger than me.... a drooling, toothless, repulsive, bearded diaper wearing wreck of what once was a man who will spend his remaining days being spoon fed Jok, getting unsucessful HJs, and complaining here about 2 baht. By that time I should have as many posts as the politics crowd, especially after Trump gets reelected.

????

• Haha 2

On 11/22/2018 at 11:27 PM, sjaak327 said:

idiots. 

1 hour ago, madmen said:
On 11/22/2018 at 11:27 PM, sjaak327 said:

Your missing the point. Those dirty scum are polluters and block footpaths. BEST thing junta did was burn them. No more slurping soup for the teachers so back to chasing balloons...

This is one of those areas where it's not easy to blame a single party as the whole society is involved in the mess.

Vendors are selfish, blocking paths and usually dirty 

Consumers don't care as long as they are not individually inconvenienced too much 

Government wants to "upgrade" the country by removing the vendors, but as Thais always do, they focus only on the superficial look without a proper plan to relocate vendors

All Thai groups are a part of the problem. 

10 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Government wants to "upgrade" the country by removing the vendors, but as Thais always do, they focus only on the superficial look without a proper plan to relocate vendors

All Thai groups are a part of the problem. 

Strictly my opinion .......

I found detouring around street food concessions in Bangkok was always quite charming.

Delicious street food was one of the attractions of the city; recognized internationally.

If the government wants to "upgrade" the country, first and foremost, deal with the garbage, here, there and everywhere. Gf and I have enjoyed street food many times and ended up carrying our refuse all the way back to our hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 3:19 PM, unamazedloso said:

if you dont know how to wash dishes and keep food i guess you shouldn't be selling it.....

I dunno.

I've been eating street food for 15 years.

I've had food poisoning 3 times in my life, the worst being a tuna salad sandwich from the cool section in an international name garage in Portugal.

The other 2 times from a well known restaurant in CM.

None of the above from a street food seller, nor, sitting on a plastic chair at a plastic table, on a pavement, next to traffic, with the dishes a few feet away in various buckets.

Strange that. Innit?

As others have said, street food was fine pre 2014 and it's fine now.

If it aint broke dont fix it. Basically STOP MEDDLING!

On 11/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, webfact said:

in need of an upgrade, according to the Tourism Minister.

Yeah, like these sort of people are seen eating on a plastic stool with bendy cheapo cutlery and a plastic plate at a pavement eatery.

Numpties, complete averse to reality numpties.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, madmen said:
On 11/22/2018 at 5:27 PM, sjaak327 said:
ehe government and the BMA have already made many street vendors disappear, and now they are going for the few that remain ? Most tourists don't even use those street vendors anyway. I wish they stopped harassing these people. Before you know it every Thai on minimum wage needs to use the junk sold at 7-11 because all the cheap street vendors are gone !

idiots. 

RIght, what an idiotic remark. We are talking about hard working people, that provide a vital service to people living in various parts of Bangkok, they provide a good and cheap source of food. They are much less a nuisance as the motor bikes racing along the footpaths. But what can be expected from some expat that doesn't really know how things work here. At least you can walk over the footpath free from their presence, pollution is rife in any case, what nonsense.

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1