"Don't lend money to anyone" - man conned by pretty woman from dating app learns the hard way

webfact

"Don't lend money to anyone" - man conned by pretty woman from dating app learns the hard way

4PM.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on the case of a Thai man who learned the hard way that not every Thai woman on dating apps is a beautiful bombshell who can't wait to get to know you. 

This guy said that the woman he met was "suay maak maak" (very pretty) and "phuut geng" (spoke so well). 

What could possible stop a great love affair!?

Within two days the couple were chatting merrily on Line chat. He could hardly believe his luck!

He had no hesitation in lending her money when she told him her troubles. After all that is what friends are for...right?

He transferred cash to her 13 times to the tune of 89,330 baht. 

Then she just disappeared into thin cyber air.

Realizing he had been conned the man went to Muang Chantaburi police but they only took the report and wouldn't help him. 

Except to explain that this was a civil matter - he had agreed to transfer money after a request was made to him. It was not police business.

They advised him to get a lawyer to pursue the case as this was not a criminal matter. 

In an appeal to the woman involved the man wrote on a slip of paper and stuck it to his phone. 

It said": "Don't lend money to anyone" - and he said it served as a warning to others. 

He doesn't want to see the face of the woman who ripped him off - he just wants to see his 89,000 baht again.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-22

Behind most pretty woman con artists, if you get to actually see them, there's usually an African guy/s in cahoots with local, equally bad local women, and those guys are masterful in impersonating and posing as anyone your heart desires from men of distinctions to the prettier woman just to bilk you out of your money...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Behind most pretty woman con artists, if you get to actually see them, there's usually an African guy/s in cahoots with local, equally bad local women, and those guys are masterful in impersonating and posing as anyone your heart desires from men of distinctions to the prettier woman just to bilk you out of your money...

How do you know? I read about a few cases but it's difficult with statistics about this.

And then are of course the cases (many?) where people spend a lot of money and still think they had contact with the love of their life - who knows who was really behind them?

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I didn't meet my wife on-line. No!! Nor in a Pattaya bar. I met her outside a bar in Soi Daina. She was just visiting a friend.

She sounded so caring when we first met. And!! She was not interested in money; just love.

10 years down the road I've begun to realise my judgments were slightly wrong. I should have sussed it when she was giving me Thai boxing kicks at the Udon night Market. If not then,,, well the time she threw the cat at me was a subtle clue that I missed.

Too late now. I'm just getting ready to die in poverty and misery.

Well at least the buffalo is doing well I bet....  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What can one even say? Many of us tend to use a great deal of discrimination when it comes to lending money to our close friends. Not sure how to even respond to the idea of lending money to someone you have never even met. Desperation knows no bounds. 

Would Bond do something like this? I think he would call for patience. And face to face meetings. Get to know someone. Take your time. Get ahold of your anxiety. Let it unfold in a rather organic fashion. There is nothing natural about meeting anyone online, and you know virtually nothing about them, until you have spent some real time together. Months, even years. 

For some of us, who are not millennials, the whole concept of striking up a relationship online, then chatting and spending dozens or hundreds of hours getting to know someone online, and texting to death, without ever meeting them, just reeks of desperation, and isolation. The few times I ever engaged in online dating, my rule was two emails or chats, then a Skype type video call, then an actual meeting of 20 minutes for a cup of coffee. Lets see where it goes from there. You do not want to meet so quickly? OK. Find another pen pal please. Homey don't play that game.

In principle I agree with you.

But I guess online dating has one "advantage". In offline dating we see someone new and we get some details (maybe true, maybe not) and some facts (like how does the person actually look like). But a big part of the attraction is often our own fantasy. We want to see that new person the way we want him/her to be. Often we see the ideal we want to see and it takes time, especially time spent together, to learn that that new person is maybe not as good as we wanted him/her to be.

Now with online dating that is much easier. Our imagination can take over 90% of what is going on. The person will always be perfect until the online partner (is it a he or she?) tells us something which disturbs our perfect imagination.

And it seems some online partners can play this game with perfection...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another scam I`ve been reading about on facebook, is that guys have been dating Thai women from dating sites. Girls meet the guys, go to their rooms or hotels, spend the night with the guys. A couple of days later, girl contacts guy saying; if you don`t give me money I`ll go to the police and say you raped me.

It doesn`t mean all that has a pretty face, a cute smile and a sexy voice are good.

Beware you guys.

• Like 2