Turkish paper: CIA had recording of Saudi prince demanding Khashoggi be 'silenced'

webfact

Turkish paper: CIA had recording of Saudi prince demanding Khashoggi be 'silenced'

2018-11-22T144247Z_2_LYNXNPEEAL0ML_RTROPTP_4_SAUDI-KHASHOGGI.JPG

Friends of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi hold posters and banners with his pictures during a demonstration outside the Saudi Arabia consulate in Istanbul, Turkey October 25, 2018. REUTERS/Osman Orsal

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - A Turkish newspaper reported on Thursday CIA director Gina Haspel signalled to Turkish officials last month that the agency had a recording of a call in which Saudi Arabia's crown prince gave instructions to "silence" Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Asked about the report, a Turkish official told Reuters he had no information about such a recording. Saudi Arabia has said Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had no prior knowledge of Khashoggi's killing at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul six weeks ago.

When asked about the recording by reporters in Florida, U.S. President Donald Trump said, "I don't want to talk about it. You'll have to ask them." The CIA declined to comment when asked about the report.

"There is talk of another recording," Hurriyet newspaper journalist Abdulkadir Selvi wrote in a column, saying the purported call took place between Prince Mohammed and his brother, Saudi Arabia's ambassador to Washington.

"It is being said that CIA chief Gina Haspel indicated this during her visit to Turkey," he wrote, adding that they had discussed Khashoggi, a critic of the kingdom's de facto ruler.

"It is being said the crown prince gave orders to 'silence Jamal Khashoggi as soon as possible'," in a call which was monitored by the U.S. agency, he said.

Khashoggi was killed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2 in an operation that Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan has said was ordered by the highest level of Saudi leadership.

After offering numerous contradictory explanations, Riyadh said last week Khashoggi had been killed and his body dismembered when negotiations to persuade him to return to Saudi Arabia failed.

Trump said the CIA had not definitively concluded that the crown prince was responsible, and said he would stand by Saudi Arabia’s leadership because it was a key U.S. ally.

“We want low oil prices and Saudi Arabia has really done a good job in that respect,” Trump said.

"I hate the crime. I hate what's done. I hate the cover up. And I tell you what: the crown prince hates it more than I do," Trump said, without providing further detail.

(Reporting by Dominic Evans, Additional reporting by David Brunnstrom in Washington and Roberta Rampton in Palm Beach, Florida; Editing by David Dolan, William Maclean and Nick Zieminski)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-23

6 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

The bad joke is the individual himself.

Yes indeed ,

but since this is a thread about Khashoggi I thought best to stay on topic, though I did mention trump's trade war, and diminishing popularity. I should also mention that Erdogan is no angel himself. There are a of of politics being played here with people's lives hunting in the balance. 

Just now, sirineou said:

Yes indeed ,

but since this is a thread about Khashoggi I thought best to stay on topic, though I did mention trump's trade war, and diminishing popularity. I should also mention that Erdogan is no angel himself. There are a of of politics being played here with people's lives hunting in the balance. 

Very true, and I question the motive behind the slow drip feed of further and more damning info from Turkey.  Very clever politics as Turkey has political beefs with both USA and SA.  The current release of info in this manner and the reactions of both would suggest they are being led down the garden path of making more and more mistakes with their reactions until a point where the threat or actual release of incontrovertible proof gives immense leverage over them and their countries.

Just a theory, but it seems very similar to the tactics of many lawyers who do the same with witnesses, victims and accused.  In a criminal court a lawyer generally only asks questions to which he knows and can prove the answer.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

When asked about the recording by reporters in Florida, U.S. President Donald Trump said, "I don't want to talk about it. You'll have to ask them." 

He doesn’t want to know about anything that could cause him to act. 

All he cares about is protecting that arms deal. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I expect the House Intelligence Committee after the Democrats get the Chairmanship when they gain majority in January 2019 to request a hearing from the US Intelligence agencies, hopefully in part in public. Depending on Trump's reaction to such a hearing, he may further add to a case of Obstruction of Justice.

Logically.... right there is the strongest motivator to getting out in front of this mess. It beggars belief that A45 would attempt to collude, when the house is set to take control.

i would normally use this fact to argue that the crown prince was not involved, and that trump will be shown to be squeaky clean.... but I used the words “normally” and “logically” in the text above, which, when talking trump, should never be used 

• Haha 1

I can make a case of sorrow for Kashogi; but not while I am pumping gasoline into my SUV. I don't give a rats ass about the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and their miserable constituents. There is a reason they are alive and have that government, not my problem.

4 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I can make a case of sorrow for Kashogi; but not while I am pumping gasoline into my SUV. I don't give a rats ass about the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and their miserable constituents. There is a reason they are alive and have that government, not my problem.

But it is a big problem for the USA when it allies itself with a leader who has repeatedly demonstrated both a remarkable lack of judgement and of self-control. An argument can be made in favor of cynicism when dealing with Saudi Arabia but in favor of stupidity not so much.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, neeray said:

Keep talking. Keep turning those die hards.

Sooner or later, 'enough is enough'. Time to stop the bleeding. Time to correct the biggest election mistake that (some) Americans have ever made.

I don't have to, every time Trump opens his mouth he is digging his own hole.

• Thanks 1

Apparently the Kashoggi affair, is precisely what certain geopolitical factions needed, and were hoping for.  A low value target, gift wrapped, and paying off handsomely for many.....  Turkey is playing this, to its full advantage.

Edited by CanuckThai

7 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With these recordings from Turkey and the CIA, it is worrying how many "hidden" microphones there must be!

With modern technology, one must be very careful today where they pass gas or take a leak.

• Haha 1

Bravo to Turkey, for telling it like it is. They are embarrassing the Saudis to no end. There might be a few thousand people within Saudi Arabia who believe the lies, and maybe 100 people worldwide who believe it, other than Trump supporters. He continues to compromise himself at every turn. At least he could have the dignity to say it was probably the prince, but we still need to maintain a relationship with them. No. He will not even say that. 

When in the US, I buy only Valero gas, whenever I can, as they refuse to source any oil from the Gulf. Do your research. Deny them our petro dollars.