Some good advise from people who know.

laduladiva

Im moving to petchaburi in the start of June to teach English. Have a job set up with free accommadation. Was just hoping for some advise on how much money I should bring with me for the first month.Not planning to do anything fancy when I first get there just going to get used to life in Thailand and take it somewhat easy . Was thinking of taking 20 000 bht with me as thats how much I get paid every month from the school. Do you guys think this would be sufficient for an easy one month as Im not going to be paing any rent. As you can probarly tell im not that clued up at the moment and just whant to make sure . Would be great for some good advise with not to may sarcastic comments ( he he ). Hope youre all having a good day where ever you all are , and thanks for taking the time to read my question .

ladula  :o

Will you need to buy refrigerator/stove/bed/table/desk etc?  How about sheets/clothing/lamps/tv/alarm clock/toilet etc?

What visa will you have?  Are you a degree holder?  Will you get a work permit?  If you have to make visa runs how will that effect your job?  When will you first be paid and how sure are you of getting it?

Am sure many have started with less so you can probably make it but 20k per month is not going to provide much extra for someone starting a job here.  A lot will depend on what kind of accommodations are provided.  A room with four walls could be it!  

I have not been down that road so can not provide any real estimate (except it will always be more then we think).   :o

You need to be careful of the old "Heat of the moment"

Depending on your digs ie (Basic,Very Basic or even something to just keep most of the rain off your head !)

Putting the above possible expense to one side it depends on what you plan on the social side of things IE (Beers, Beers, a Mekong a few more beers...party party !, Are going alone or do you have companions, are you meeting friends in Thailand ? I would say just keep an eye on your outgoings and you should be OK..Seems to me by reading your mail you have your head firmly screwed on and your feet nicely on the ground...    About GBP 80 per week should cover you as food/drink is cheap enough.. In fact most things are cheap enough...You should be OK provided you don't hve to splash out on essentials for your digs !!

The reason i am replying to this is that when i first went to Thailand some years ago i planned to stay for a decent chunk of time....But due to me not being conserative enough with my cash which i had been saving for some time...i Had to return to the UK earlier than expected with no funds...

I had a major case of being caught up in "Heat of the moment"

I wish you luck with your new job, And i'm sure things will be just fine.......

:o

Thanks for youre replys. I have just sent off for my 1 year mulitiply entery immigrant b visa. The school says they are going to suply me with a work permit but I dont have a degree so I very much doubt itnI have been  in contact with other teachers  at the school who say the accomodation is basic. Room with bed wadrobe. Shared living rooms with tv and shared fridge. Im pritty sure that I have got the job as I have sign the contract and they have posten me all the papers which I have sent to the Thai conculate. Got most of my clothing and stuff sorted, but I also would like to travel and see thailand a bit. Some other peopel in this forum have told me this is plenty of money but what do you think. Dont really want to do anything fancy  pritty happy with traveling cheap, basic but SAFE, as long as Im safe Im happy . thanks guys  Ladula  :o

Ps and Im traveling alone and not meeting anyone out there.

ha ha Im just at work at the moment, need to type fast in between calls, my speling is shit when I don't concentrate . Was scared  someone was going to notice. Well I don't care.  :o  ladula

ps mrentoul, you gonne give me some advise reg my question

I think 20,000 baht for your first month sounds fine, though as someone said you may want to buy yourself furnishings before four weeks is up, especially if your living conditions are spartan.

I read on another board that many westerners teaching in Thailand do not have work permits, though why that is I don't know.

My advice would be to bring a credit card as well, and keep your parents' phone number handy, just in case!

Wise words from mrentoul, Try and have some kind of fall back slush fund of money either at home or with you. But would agree the 20,000 Baht per month should be enough for day to day expense and some Chang Beers.

Chock Dii....

:o

• 1 month later...

Interesting stuff from Pattaya City Expats Club.

Attorney Wichai Pannoi was introduced by Gary Bruton.(PCEC)  

Khun Wichai has been in practice as a lawyer for 25 years.

and said that he would like to talk about detective work in Thailand, your Last Will & Testament and Life partnerships.

His work as a Criminal Lawyer lead to doing detective work to aid in the defense of his clients.  Detectives are not licensed in Thailand.

Recently, his detective work has been done primarily for surveillance in family problems - what is the wife/girlfriend doing - or what is the husband/boyfriend doing. The work is expensive and can be dangerous - surveillance is normally 24 hours each day, and requires two persons.

Cameras - still, video, camcorders, voice recorders and most other methods of surveillance are available.

Background investigations

(Thailand only) can be done, are not overly expensive.

The laws of search and seizure are similar to the USA - breaking and entering,warrants for arrest, etc. have to be approved by the court.

A Last Will & Testament may be in any one of four forms, with varying degrees of safety from challenge.  

First, a Will which you write yourself - you make corrections and verify them yourself.

Second - a Will made with a lawyer.  Corrections on the first two types of Wills, if evident, are points of attack by an opposing lawyer.

Third - the strongest Will available in Thailand - a Public

Will.  This form of a Will is available at the District House at

Banglamung, Amphur office, and at Pattaya City Hall, Amphur Office and may cost 100 baht (Amphur is the same as the City or County Clerk in the USA, or Council Office in the UK).  It is a form, needs to be filled out, and can not be attacked (the form is in Thai).  

The fourth is none - your goods are distributed by the state according to certain rules.

A general comment – Khun Wichai makes the point that Thailand has never been conquered by a foreign power, so their laws have developed as they have developed as a nation.  They have and are making changes to accommodate to modern law in other countries - a slow process.

There is no second language in Thailand, if there is a question

between an English translation and a Thai translation, the Thai wins.

Any language is accepted, but if it translated to Thai, the Thai

prevails.

You can include property in another Country in a Will made in

Thailand, and it may be accepted in your own county. The safest method is to have a Will in each country covering your assets in each.

Life Partnerships - there is no direct law on live in partners, the closest law is business partnership law, and has mostly to do with moveable property.  If you put property in your partners name, and you want it back or part of it - it is very difficult.equally, in the event of divorce.  Pre-nuptial Agreements are legal in Thailand and will be upheld by the Court.

Khun Wichai is at his office at the Victor Law and Detective office,just off 2nd Road in Soi 5 opposite The Hard Rock Hotel - Fridays after about 1:00PM and Saturday.  

He does not charge for consultations in Pattaya (he does at his Bangkok office).  >>>>> and much more.....

OPEN FORUM - Sundays

MEETINGS  EVERY SUNDAY at 'HENRY J BEANS' Bar & Grill, at the AMARI ORCHID RESORT, on the north end of Beach Road.

A Buffet is available from 9.30 AM.

with thanks from PCEC,

:cool:  ::o: