Family of Dublin man injured in horrific crash in Thailand appeal for help to pay his medical bills

rooster59

Good travel insurance covers motorbikes if not drunk.

the big family man was not on holiday with his family.

too lazy to buy insurance. 

Family can can afford to fly out from Ireland but not pay the bill.

survival of the human race is that these people don’t make it.

20 hours ago, missoura said:

It was suggested years ago to charge each tourist one dollar for accident insurance. This year that would be about $30 million bucks. Thailand could cover medical expenses for any tourists seriously injured and still put money in the Thai government's pocket. The slogan might go like this.

Our Money says you'll be Safe in Thailand

I think the concept might actually work...

That $30million will be chewed up in administrative fees, salaries, office space, computers, travel, entertainment, advertising, marketing and "miscellaneous expenses".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I am really sorry that this guy is hurt ,but if you come here on holiday without insurance your crazy.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You're right since Thailand is by far the most dangerous place you can have a holiday - one of many reasons why big bucks tourism will soon be over  

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Compass Call said:

Or does he actually live in Australia?

I think he lives in Australia with his girlfriend/wife but his family are from Dublin. 

So, he has no travel insurance, on holiday away from his family in Australia, seems that other members of his family can afford to travel from Ireland to Thailand and move him to a private hospital.
Now they want others to pay the bills!!!!!!!.
I smell a rat!!
I hope that not too many people get suckered into paying into this scam.

4 hours ago, Shadychris said:

Needed for who? The few who cant be bothered to sort out their own travel insurance? The irresponsible ones who rely on others to bail them out when shit happens?

It was not only those who are just sitting and sipping in the bar 24/7 who came to my mind, but also those who are touching the dangerous streets…:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

I am at a loss understanding why Thailand allow people to enter without insurance, if you arrive without you should be refused entry and told to return to your home country on the next available flight, it's not rocket science!!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why? It's not a Thailand problem.

They will get paid regardless. 

It's a foreign country problem for their citizens.

• Like 1

Why? It's not a Thailand problem.

They will get paid regardless. 

It's a foreign country problem for their citizens.
How will they get paid? If Thailand refuse entry to anyone without insurance(its cheap, why wouldn't you purchase it?) the problem would not exist!

18 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Travel insurance is a moot point as it doesnt cover you for riding a bike without a license etc. Most of these stories that appear on Thaivisa , the people have insurance but void it by riding without a license, helmet or drunk etc.

Probably that point is not in the small print.

It's more likely to be in the 'big' print in the exclusions sections.

As long as it says 'insurance' on the front page that's enough for most to believe it covers them for anything.

29 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

I am at a loss understanding why Thailand allow people to enter without insurance, if you arrive without you should be refused entry and told to return to your home country on the next available flight, it's not rocket science!!!

Why single out Thailand, maybe all countries in the world should insist on compulsory travel insurance. If you pull up any of the similar old threads on Thaivisa you will see that most have insurance but go and hire a bike without a license etc and end up not being covered by insurance.

Why single out Thailand, maybe all countries in the world should insist on compulsory travel insurance. If you pull up any of the similar old threads on Thaivisa you will see that most have insurance but go and hire a bike without a license etc and end up not being covered by insurance.
I have insurance so I'm simply stating my opinion.

32 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

How will they get paid? If Thailand refuse entry to anyone without insurance(its cheap, why wouldn't you purchase it?) the problem would not exist!

Go back to the very first post.

Read it again.

They are trying to raise money for this guys medical care.

Thats how they will get paid.

He's not leaving until they get paid.

It not Thailand problem. It's idiots who come here without travel insurance and then have to beg online for money to pay their medical expenses in Thailand.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

but it's not a simple as 'having insurance', an insurance policy is a contract and as such has specific contract terms. someone may have insurance but dangerous activities are not covered; therefore, someone has the compulsory insurance, they ride a bike, have an accident, dangerous activities/not wearing a helmet are not covered, they are in the same position as not having insurance.

or do you propose all compulsory insurance policies include cover for dangerous activities? making those if us not intending to ride motorcycles pay an increased premium for  cover that we will never need?!

i've said it before here; people are adults and have to take responsibility for their actions, if you chose to travel without appropriate insurance you have to do a risk assessment and have a plan/finances in place to cover any potential eventuality. or you buy appropriate insurance.

• Like 2

A question for the experts. I read here that you can get worldwide travel insurance for about $1 per day. That sounds cheaper than a lot of the insurance companies here that cover the expat community. You would also have the added benefit of cover during any trips you may have throughout the year. Is this a feasible alternative?

Any thoughts on the pros and cons

Den

11 minutes ago, denby45 said:

A question for the experts. I read here that you can get worldwide travel insurance for about $1 per day. That sounds cheaper than a lot of the insurance companies here that cover the expat community. You would also have the added benefit of cover during any trips you may have throughout the year. Is this a feasible alternative?

Den

note that travel insurance is not a fixed and standardized product at fixed prices

varies within a country between companies

varies vastly between countries

I am using travel insurance, suits me and the way I live/travel fine

don't find it costly

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

note that travel insurance is not a fixed and standardized product at fixed prices

varies within a country between companies

varies vastly between countries

I am using travel insurance, suits me and the way I live/travel fine

don't find it costly

Only covers a maximum number of days out the the country per year.

Only covers a maximum number of days per trip, and a maximum number of trips in many cases.

Many specify details regarding residence in the home country, including time in own country prior to start. 

Some specify particulars regarding return flights upfronted (to circumvent using it for first six months in leui of real health insurance) and other conditions to discourage the 6-12 months away expat.

Does not cover slow illness including cancer, if long time expat by time diagnosised you may be too sick to travel home.

Your $100-$300 amex or whatever annual multi-trip travel insurance is not a replacement for health insurance when away from home for significant periods.  

Edited by digitalnobhead

8 minutes ago, denby45 said:

Den

Hi Den.

I'm the one that posted about the $1/day travel insurance. Here is a bit more information.

The insurance I discussed was travel insurance, not expat insurance. As such, it does not cover you in the country you reside in. In my case, I live in Thailand and so it does not cover me here. I carry separate insurance for coverage here in Thailand. 

Also, my coverage - and most other policies I have looked at - only covers travel for a limited block of time. Mine only covers 30 days of travel at a time though it appears from the wording of the policy that the 30 days can be extended. Haven't needed to find out. The limitation is probably to keep people from using travel insurance as their primary coverage for living abroad. 

Also note that BUPA may not offer coverage if you live in some countries. Another poster - from Canada if I remember correctly - indicated he had checked and BUPA does not offer policies for Canadians. I haven't check to confirm that but if true it is most likely based on Canadian restrictions. I don't remember seeing similar restrictions on WorldNomads coverage. Also note, that the premium for coverage varies some depending on the country of residence.

Hope this helps.

David

26 minutes ago, digitalnobhead said:

Only covers a maximum number of days out the the country per year.

Only covers a maximum number of days per trip, and a maximum number of trips in many cases.

Many specify details regarding residence in the home country, including time in own country prior to start. 

Some specify particulars regarding return flights upfronted (to circumvent using it for first six months in leui of real health insurance) and other conditions to discourage the 6-12 months away expat.

Does not cover slow illness including cancer, if long time expat by time diagnosised you may be too sick to travel home.

Your $100-$300 amex or whatever annual multi-trip travel insurance is not a replacement for health insurance when away from home for significant periods.  

your post is meaningless unless you specify country and company

there are more than 200 countries in the world

there are myriads and myriads of insurance companies and policies

don't pretend that you can sum up the essence of what they offer - you can't

22 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Most travel insurance doesn't cover motorbike accidents, even if licensed, wearing a helmet etc anyway.

A bit like not telling the insurance company that you're on a skiing holiday (dangerous pursuits), then trying to claim?! (Don't come running to me with a broken leg!!☺️).

Maybe I'm a wimp, but I've (almost) always avoided motorbikes in Thailand. If I'm going to be on one I'd rather that I'm the driver, not a Thai who thinks he's/she's Valentino Rossi!!

The insurance i take out has coverage for motorbikes if licenced, skiing, scuba diving, caving etc etc as long as you select the options. I just paid $90aud for three weeks, no excuse not to have it really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

your post is meaningless unless you specify country and company

there are more than 200 countries in the world

there are myriads and myriads of insurance companies and policies

don't pretend that you can sum up the essence of what they offer - you can't

Specifics on the mystery cheap coverages mentioned are sorely lacking even though people have asked each time.

Makes one wonder whether they exist at all, though I can't imagine why one would make it up.

as for the go fund me page, nobody is forced to donate. If it's not for you, move on.

32 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

Specifics on the mystery cheap coverages mentioned are sorely lacking even though people have asked each time.

Makes one wonder whether they exist at all, though I can't imagine why one would make it up.

as for the go fund me page, nobody is forced to donate. If it's not for you, move on.

blaeh, nobody requested specifics

mine:

yearly cost about 12000 baht

of course covers loss/delay luggage, missed flight - catching up with the itinerary etc

loss/theft phone camera wallet - theft from hotel room etc etc

legal expenses 

medical coverage, no upper limit, if necessary will send down a hospital plane and staff to get me back home

no limit on cost re get me back home

death; not sure - of no interest since I have no family

covered me for 2.5 mill in hospital last winter

included sending down a nurse from Norway to follow me home in biz class

covers the lot,

including rent of ambulance and staff for going to immigration to do my 90-day report

car/motorcycle no problem

the idea  is that I will be fixed up to be able to continue my "holiday" or get back home without any cost to me

valid in home country for every day travel to/from office, visiting aunt here and there

valid for abroad travels, any country, lasting up to 60 days

I extend that period so that the travel may last 1 year

with that - total yearly cost is 80 000

no age/illness exclusions

31 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

blaeh, nobody requested specifics

mine:

yearly cost about 12000 baht

of course covers loss/delay luggage, missed flight - catching up with the itinerary etc

loss/theft phone camera wallet - theft from hotel room etc etc

legal expenses 

medical coverage, no upper limit, if necessary will send down a hospital plane and staff to get me back home

no limit on cost re get me back home

death; not sure - of no interest since I have no family

covered me for 2.5 mill in hospital last winter

included sending down a nurse from Norway to follow me home in biz class

covers the lot,

including rent of ambulance and staff for going to immigration to do my 90-day report

car/motorcycle no problem

the idea  is that I will be fixed up to be able to continue my "holiday" or get back home without any cost to me

valid in home country for every day travel to/from office, visiting aunt here and there

valid for abroad travels, any country, lasting up to 60 days

I extend that period so that the travel may last 1 year

with that - total yearly cost is 80 000

no age/illness exclusions

can add that there are no limits on the number of travels/year

looking at the basic policy (about 12000 baht/year); covering trips of duration not exceeding 60 days,

6 trips/year - ok

can return to Norway buy ticket and be off again same day for another 60 days - that is ok

I extend to 1 year 'cause I am usually back every year for about 3 weeks every year

(possible to extend for more than 1 year)

if I for some reason should cut my trip short and return to Norway after for example 5 months, they will refund

on the extension cost.

++++

if I  am not sure how  long I will stay in LoS I could start off by buying a 1 month extension,

ie 90 days total, if I fancy staying longer I can extend further while I am in LoS,

quite flexible scheme

Edited by melvinmelvin
forgot

On 11/24/2018 at 12:52 PM, giddyup said:

That gofundme page is getting a serious workout from tourists who can't be bothered with insurance.

Just make sure you get injured heavily enough and have a presentable face/be young/otherwise have a good story. Ugly mugs and small injuries need not apply.

https://www.regencyforexpats.com/..........

Everybody should have insurance when travelling abroad .......young /old and the ugly .......

Cosmetic surgery ,while it is popular in thailand , that's another story .....

But if the girl friends cousins sisters mother has 3 cows that died an you need to send money ..really really quickly .....nah

that's not covered ...

Well obviously he is a tourist who can not purchase a bike here.

Which very likely means he rented one.

Most If this rental places who advertise cars and motorbikes “with insurance” have nothing at all but usually 3rd class insurance which is useless - and the uninformed tourist thinks he has proper insurance when he rents a vehicle.

All these rental places without proper first class insurance be it for cars or motorbikes should be closed down or forced to have proper insurance - period.

They should also check for a valid driving license because it is frightening how many people rent a big bikes here and have no idea how to handle them.

You also see tourists here on a scooter on a 3 Lane Highway riding in the middle lane surrounded by heavy traffic - Deathwish - comes to mind.

Tourists should also be told that it is extremely dangerous to drive here and that a large percentage of the people driving vehicles here on the road have no idea about any traffic rules and regulations and would not pass a driving test in any European country even if they tried all their life!

Many of them also become totally different people once they are behind a wheel in the anonymity of their car.

The stupidity one encounters here every day on the roads is almost to painful to watch.

And then there are those primitive idiots who think they have to race you or others on a public road because they feel they have to be faster than anybody else either because they have a small manhood or a screw loose but are still allowed to drive in this country.

Obviously tourists are not prepared for this onslaught on the roads of Thailand and should already be warned before they enter Thailand in a safety video on the airplane.

Nobody should be allowed to rent them motorbikes or cars without proper insurance.

But most of all Thais should not be allowed to drive without proper insurance because it is them who cause most accidents and most have only a cheap 3rd party insurance which covers almost nothing.

Then again insurance companies here are nothing but a big joke and their cover even when one purchases a first class insurance is ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

When traveling overseas you are Required to have Medical Insurance.....if you cant afford it, then you cant afford to travel/have the holiday.

So many times we are reminded of this and yet it is still forgotten or not noted.

It's not Thailands job to cover the Medical Bill or a "Go Fund Me Page" it's our own responsibility......

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 2:00 PM, Andrew65 said:

Most travel insurance doesn't cover motorbike accidents, even if licensed, wearing a helmet etc anyway.

A bit like not telling the insurance company that you're on a skiing holiday (dangerous pursuits), then trying to claim?! (Don't come running to me with a broken leg!!☺️).

Maybe I'm a wimp, but I've (almost) always avoided motorbikes in Thailand. If I'm going to be on one I'd rather that I'm the driver, not a Thai who thinks he's/she's Valentino Rossi!!

Seems like a fair comment, after a good few years sharing Thai roads with innumerable Thai drivers and one Aussie lunatic, there just isn't any way I'd clamber on a bike behind one of them.

No way Jose. Nossir.

Edited by HalfLight