Rats & mice

georgegeorgia

Is there such things as bush rats ? Do u get rats on the farm coming in from the bush?

Im scared of rats , and mice too,but especially rats ,

I saw some in outback Australia that were as big as cats and actually attacked the cat

Are you able to completely eradicate them or do u have to live with them?

Also are the rats different that you see in the rice fields and do thais eat those ones?

Edited by georgegeorgia

When I drive to visit my father in law who is living near Khon Kaen we will always have a night at the rice fields shooting some of them for the next day BBQ.

They are fat, healthy looking and taste like Rabbit as closest.

If you ever have the chance to try one do not hesitate to take a bite, you will be surprised. 

On the Isaan highways you need to be lucky when a stand has some for sale in the morning, they are fast sold out even field rats are in the List of the most expensive meats in Thailand.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, See Will said:

When I drive to visit my father in law who is living near Khon Kaen we will always have a night at the rice fields shooting some of them for the next day BBQ.

They are fat, healthy looking and taste like Rabbit as closest.

If you ever have the chance to try one do not hesitate to take a bite, you will be surprised. 

On the Isaan highways you need to be lucky when a stand has some for sale in the morning, they are fast sold out even field rats are in the List of the most expensive meats in Thailand.

I dont think I ever seen them for sale?

no I dont think I could bring myself to eat them

• Sad 1

The rats they eat are rice rats and are a different species that Norwegian or "city" rats. The rice rats feed on the roots of the rice plants, and as See Will has stated they are wonderful on the grill. Moist, fatty, and tasty especially during or just after the rice harvest.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I dont think I ever seen them for sale?

no I dont think I could bring myself to eat them

The stands are here and there on the highway from Korat to Udon Thani, unfortunately they have most only signs written in Thai and no pictures so a farang will not know what they sell. 

My wife gets very excited when she spots one of the stands and a seller is present.

I understand, it takes a bit to get over it and eat a rat. For me it was also a long time "a Rat".

But then as we were shooting them by night in the middle of nowhere in the rice fields (using a long shining barrel air rifle) and I saw how they grow up. Natural feed and also the fur is very clean and healthy looking, not sick and dirty like the street rats.

Also the size is pretty impressive for a rat and the mouthwatering smell on the grill made me trying a little bit, the first try was only to please my father in law. Then the "WOW" came, They taste as good as they smell. 

I personally leave it by legs and (especially) ribs and avoid to look when my little nephew cracks the head with his teeth to reach the inside ????.. 

The OP has indicated in another thread, that he wants to retire on a farm. Next to Rats and Mice, he may also have to deal with Snakes, biting Insects, Roosters that can't afford a quality Swiss Watch (so they start crowing already at 2 AM instead of 4 AM, disregarding goverement orders that forbids Roosters from crowing before 4 AM) etc etc etc. Not sure if farming is the right thing for the OP.

UNLESS HE SEES THE OPPORTUNITY:
- As rats are a priced item, overcome your fear of them, start breeding them on a small piece of land. Feed them cheap non first-class rice. Will likely produce more income than any rice farm per acre/rai.

BTW: Field-Rats spend a lot of time to claen their fur. Their obsession with cleanliness is only surpassed by Thai Females taking 3 1/2 showers per day. They are also very smart (the rats, that is).:smile:

• Haha 2

Retire on a Farm? Scared of Rats and Mice? 

I guess we can extend the story a bit and introduce here beside of common Snakes (poisonous, deadly poisonous and not poisonous) to another critter that makes more people jumping right out of their skin if they meet them.

At least most of my European visitors did beside one even left my house and moved to a hotel just to meet a huge cockroach the following night in the Hotel room.

Ladddiiiiieees aaand Gentlemen,

here she comes, the fastest of the fast ones, the smartest of the smart ones. Waiting up to 15 Gram and 5 milligrams, can reach out up to 5 inches to each side, if taking once a sip out of your toilet she will be back every day, knows the hideouts in your entire house better than you ever will:

We introduce now and today:

THEEEEE GREAT HUNTSMAAAAAAAN,

applause...curtain... commercial break....

and here she comes, long awaited :cheesy:

huntsman-spider.jpg.b1daf93bc1432886c1425601737bc3c5.jpg

But no worries, not poisonous to humans, she is just fast, faster than you get through your room so my advice, don't challenger her for a race, she will win and you break your legs at the furniture.

But she has one good thing:

you don't need to fear rats anymore, she is Faster and WILL get them too..

SpiderMouse_web2_1024.jpg.0234bd1f7c7f741c72358c68fb4e7892.jpg

Dramatic enough? Still wanna retire on a farm? 

Edited by See Will
typo
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess i would get a few tom cats if i had rats on my farm.not every fsrm has rats ,msybe mice

Interesting thiugh about the rat farming,is this done much ?

In Issan yes many rat farms, my wife grows the bloody things, i will not go near the cages.

I hate rats, got bitten by 1 when i was 15, that put me of rats for life.