Forza 300 - Buyer Report

canerandagio

Hi All,

After much pondering and research I have switched from PCX 150 to a Forza 300 2018, resisting the temptation of switching to Yamaha XMax.

Here is my report.

Paid 169,000 at MC Honda in On Nut.

Unexpected pros:

1 - The positioning of the mirrors, great idea as the eyes don't need to switch focus. Great improvement from the PCX.

2 - I thought the motorised windshield was a useless gimmick but it's not... I find myself using it when I am on an open road.

3 - The stability, even at low speed.

Unexpected cons:

- The factory shock absorbers just inadequate for my taste... the PCX was a pleasure to drive, Forza the opposite.

- The lag in acceleration (this was actually expected, and I am getting used to it).

Other notes:

There is no naked handlebar, therefore little room to hang things (bottle holder, hooks etc.)

I have seen some who fit the mobile phone just in behind the windshield using a metal mount that goes behind it. I went for the option of installing it in the centre of the handlebar (there is a plastic cover which hides a plastic plate upon which the phone mount can be installed).

I went for a Motowolf mobile holder, in aluminum. Great solidity and absolute confidence in holding the phone (plastic ones are horrible) and the flexible X-shaped ones I couldn't fall in love with as it seemed quite fiddly to install the phone, and they didn't hold it well anyway (but maybe I just don't know how to do it).

The phone holder that I bought resulted in the phone covering the sight of the centre of the dashboard. Since this is something nice to look at and also useful, I had to come up with an alternative solution. I first decided to turn the holder upside down and fit the phone in it so that it hung lower (seems risky but it's not, although the phone is not sitting on anything the holder has a good grip on it). Enough to hold my expensive phone without me being concerned. The mechanic was concerned though lol, so he prepared a bespoke bracket in steel that allowed me to install the phone lower than it was.

I also run a USB cable from the charger in the gloves compartment to the phone holder (the Motowolf phone holder is available with built-in charger too, better than my solution).

I replaced the front and back shock absorbers and installed YSS G-Sport. These come in different heights, allowing to lower the height of the bike by a few centimetres. I decided to keep the standard height.

I also installed a SH48 box, giving up on my old SH39 from the PCX. Big difference in these is the height. The SH48 is wider and lower height, so whilst it is more capable it makes it impossible to store a small backback with a medium size helmet on top. The SH39 allows that.

The space under the seat is huge, but be careful as not all of it can be used, due to the shape of the seat, which won't close otherwise. 

In other words, you can store long and flat things, but you are limited in height. Some parts of it cannot be filled to the edge.

I used it in town and went to Chonburi twice at full speed and had on average 20km/l consumption over 400km.

All in all, being completely illiterate in motorbikes maintenance and engines I am very happy I bought this bike, it's truly luxurious experience. It limits you a bit more than a PCX in traffic but not much, and when travelling it's great.

I wouldn't recommend it necessarily only for downtown, but if you travel out of town with it then yes.

Shops visited:

1 - Set by Sar in Ladprao (I had used them before and overcharged me for an oil change by 300%). I asked them for a price to adjust the factory shocks and for what is essentially a 1 minute job (which the shop next door did for free) they asked 500 baht. Avoid!

2 - Dr. Bike. Clearly pushing on sales. They quoted the right price for shock absorbers, but tried to skin me with the front ones. Approximately 3000 baht more than it should have been.

3 - SP32 in Wong Wiang Yay. Seemed fairly honest and competent, they did all the work in the end, including some free bits like the mobile phone holder customised. They had a discount of 5% for cash payments for the rest of this year.

4 - Thai Motor Box. Also very reliable and friendly. They trade mainly in top boxes.

Costs, before 5% discount.

1 - YSS Rear shocks 8900 baht

2 - YSS Front fork enhancement - 4500

3 - Oil for Front fork enhancement - 650

4 - Special LED light - very powerful, mounted on the front forks - 4500 + 1500 (SP32 fitting) + 250 for switch and other bits

5 - Motowolf alloy phone holder - 800

6 - SH48 top box - 7500 + 1600 for Forza fittings (you may want a backrest for the passenger, add another 600 or 1500)

7 - Dynamo yellow handles - 700

8 - Short bar for hooks (attached to the phone holder bespoke arm) 600

9 - Hooks 350

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks to all those who provided advice in public and also in private.

straydog

Edited by canerandagio
  • Thanks 2

Hi All,

After much pondering and research I have switched from PCX 150 to a Forza 300 2018, resisting the temptation of switching to Yamaha XMax.

Here is my report.
Paid 169,000 at MC Honda in On Nut.

Unexpected pros:
1 - The positioning of the mirrors, great idea as the eyes don't need to switch focus. Great improvement from the PCX.
2 - I thought the motorised windshield was a useless gimmick but it's not... I find myself using it when I am on an open road.
3 - The stability, even at low speed.

Unexpected cons:
- The factory shock absorbers just inadequate for my taste... the PCX was a pleasure to drive, Forza the opposite.
- The lag in acceleration (this was actually expected, and I am getting used to it).

Other notes:
There is no naked handlebar, therefore little room to hang things (bottle holder, hooks etc.)
I have seen some who fit the mobile phone just in behind the windshield using a metal mount that goes behind it. I went for the option of installing it in the centre of the handlebar (there is a plastic cover which hides a plastic plate upon which the phone mount can be installed).
I went for a Motowolf mobile holder, in aluminum. Great solidity and absolute confidence in holding the phone (plastic ones are horrible) and the flexible X-shaped ones I couldn't fall in love with as it seemed quite fiddly to install the phone, and they didn't hold it well anyway (but maybe I just don't know how to do it).
The phone holder that I bought resulted in the phone covering the sight of the centre of the dashboard. Since this is something nice to look at and also useful, I had to come up with an alternative solution. I first decided to turn the holder upside down and fit the phone in it so that it hung lower (seems risky but it's not, although the phone is not sitting on anything the holder has a good grip on it). Enough to hold my expensive phone without me being concerned. The mechanic was concerned though lol, so he prepared a bespoke bracket in steel that allowed me to install the phone lower than it was.
I also run a USB cable from the charger in the gloves compartment to the phone holder (the Motowolf phone holder is available with built-in charger too, better than my solution).
I replaced the front and back shock absorbers and installed YSS G-Sport. These come in different heights, allowing to lower the height of the bike by a few centimetres. I decided to keep the standard height.
I also installed a SH48 box, giving up on my old SH39 from the PCX. Big difference in these is the height. The SH48 is wider and lower height, so whilst it is more capable it makes it impossible to store a small backback with a medium size helmet on top. The SH39 allows that.
The space under the seat is huge, but be careful as not all of it can be used, due to the shape of the seat, which won't close otherwise. 
In other words, you can store long and flat things, but you are limited in height. Some parts of it cannot be filled to the edge.
I used it in town and went to Chonburi twice at full speed and had on average 20km/l consumption over 400km.

All in all, being completely illiterate in motorbikes maintenance and engines I am very happy I bought this bike, it's truly luxurious experience. It limits you a bit more than a PCX in traffic but not much, and when travelling it's great.
I wouldn't recommend it necessarily only for downtown, but if you travel out of town with it then yes.

Shops visited:
1 - Set by Sar in Ladprao (I had used them before and overcharged me for an oil change by 300%). I asked them for a price to adjust the factory shocks and for what is essentially a 1 minute job (which the shop next door did for free) they asked 500 baht. Avoid!
2 - Dr. Bike. Clearly pushing on sales. They quoted the right price for shock absorbers, but tried to skin me with the front ones. Approximately 3000 baht more than it should have been.
3 - SP32 in Wong Wiang Yay. Seemed fairly honest and competent, they did all the work in the end, including some free bits like the mobile phone holder customised. They had a discount of 5% for cash payments for the rest of this year.
4 - Thai Motor Box. Also very reliable and friendly. They trade mainly in top boxes.

Costs, before 5% discount.
1 - YSS Rear shocks 8900 baht
2 - YSS Front fork enhancement - 4500
3 - Oil for Front fork enhancement - 650
4 - Special LED light - very powerful, mounted on the front forks - 4500 + 1500 (SP32 fitting) + 250 for switch and other bits
5 - Motowolf alloy phone holder - 800
6 - SH48 top box - 7500 + 1600 for Forza fittings (you may want a backrest for the passenger, add another 600 or 1500)
7 - Dynamo yellow handles - 700
8 - Short bar for hooks (attached to the phone holder bespoke arm) 600
9 - Hooks 350

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks to all those who provided advice in public and also in private.

straydog

Led lights20181126_192148.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app