Our Grass Is Dying

tuffy

Our grass is getting worse by the week. we had a few spots like these but after our new female puppy showed up it has gotten much worse.

I remember someone once telling me that female dogs (especially in heat) will kill the grass when they pee on it. But our female is only a few months old so i am a bit confused at the cause. The wife thinks it may be from their stool too.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem both now and how to stop it from happening?

post-14494-1171768341_thumb.jpgpost-14494-1171768324_thumb.jpg

Only way we've been able to prevent this from happening is frequent watering of the grass.

If your dogs are inside dogs and they only go out to do their business, water the area where they've gone to pee immediately with either a watering can or hose. Most of the time, they will go to the toilet in the same area, so if they are outside all the time you could always manually water that area or use a timer to water with a sprinkler (or retic) the area every few hours for a few minutes, and what works with us.

Di

Our grass is getting worse by the week. we had a few spots like these but after our new female puppy showed up it has gotten much worse.

I remember someone once telling me that female dogs (especially in heat) will kill the grass when they pee on it. But our female is only a few months old so i am a bit confused at the cause. The wife thinks it may be from their stool too.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem both now and how to stop it from happening?

post-14494-1171768341_thumb.jpgpost-14494-1171768324_thumb.jpg

When I was a young man, and faced with this same problem, I asked the advice of an old gardener. He told me that fixing a small lead weight behind the dog's right ear would cure it. When I asked the most practical way to do that, he said a .38 calibre revolver was quick and efficient! :o

• 3 weeks later...

2. Is Your Dog’s Urine Burning the Lawn? Yellow spots on the lawn are normally caused by urine, Nitrogen waste products are the result of protein breakdown through normal bodily processes., therefore the nitrogen in the urine causes the lawn spots. We all know that Nitrogen is a great fertliser but not in these doses that is why the outside of the green spot is quite lush.

A dose of one teaspoon to one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (depending on the size of the dog) per day will nullify the Nitrogen imbalance and should solve the problem. The apple cider vinegar can be added to the dog's water or put directly on his food. The natural type from a health food store, not the pasteurized version from the supermarket. I find the apple cider vinegar from horse tack shops are the best. Two tablespoons of tomato juice on the dog's food twice a day will have the same effect.

If the dogs has already urinated and she has not been treated, then saturate the urinated areas (spots) with water. This will allow the excess nitrogen to leech or dilute through the lawn and reduce the concentration in one area. It is usually best to treat the areas up to 9 hours after urination and to apply at least three times the amount of water to urine to the area.

Taken from this site: http://www.doglistener.co.uk/tips/top_tips.shtml

"Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem both now and how to stop it from happening?"

The cause is almost certainly dog's urine. To overcome the problem you will need to 'potty' train your dog(s). Get into the habit of taking your dog for a short walk two or three times a day and incouraging it to do its business away from the grassed area. It takes time but it does work.

"Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem both now and how to stop it from happening?"

The cause is almost certainly dog's urine. To overcome the problem you will need to 'potty' train your dog(s). Get into the habit of taking your dog for a short walk two or three times a day and incouraging it to do its business away from the grassed area. It takes time but it does work.

Or try the steps mentioned above using natural ingredients :o

Solent01, I hear what you say. Unfortunately there are not too many "horse tack shops" in rural Isaan, nor for that matter is there an abudant supply of "apple cider vinegar". One may find tomato juice in the supermarkets and I am willing to give that a try if I ever have the problem in the future. In the meantime, potty training does work and only costs a little time and patience.

Solent01

Thanks for the Apple cider tip, I will give that a try. Funny thing is I was just giving my Mom a hard time because apple cider vinigar is her cure all for everything.

Nomad97

I will also give the potty training another try, we tried that before but with little success. Our female is pretty hard headed.