New Tires

Thaiboxer

I'm looking at putting some new tires on my Toyota Corona (early 80's model) and was wondering what experiences anybody's had regarding the purchase of new tires here in Thailand. I've bought plenty back home in the States but this is the first time that I've had to purchase them here. I was told the Michelens are quieter but tend to wear out more quickly than the Bridgestones and the prices of both tires are fairly close. Speaking of prices, I've heard figures ranging from 1,300 Baht/tire to 2,100 Baht. I need the standard 70R/13's found on most small, Japanese cars. Any comments?

Thanks!

They do have different kinds...

I have Michelin Vivacy tire's (195 / 60R15) on my 24 year old Volvo. 2150 Baht/piece.

They seem to wear out reasonably fast, but I have a quite fast driving style.

They do have very good road holding indicating a soft rubber compound is used.

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more per km if they drive just a bit safer (better roadholding / braking)!

I have nearly always used Michelin tires both here and back home. Currently using Michelin Energy 205/60/R15 and they hold the road very well and are comfortable and quiet. Fairly large tire and cost about 2200 Baht each. Had Firestone just prior to that (budget problems) and they were terrible. No experience with Bridgestone.

Your price range is the right neighborhood.

I've been a fan of Bridgestone tires for a long time. They were original equipment on my Honda, and I replaced them with another set after over 3 years of use. I find them a good balance of performance and durability.

I can echo the sentiment of other posters in that Michelins offer great performance, but do indeed wear faster.

Firestones are crap in both durability and performance. Best avoided.

We recently re-tired my GF's car with Goodyear tires. They were about 1600 each (175/70-13) at our local B-Quik, and so far we are pleased with them. They perform well, and feel very solid and secure. Not sure how well they last- time will tell, but I have been pleased with goodyear tires in the past and expect that they will hold up OK.

Well Michelin tyres always outperformed Bridgestone in F1 :D

I've got Bridgestones as OE on my MU7.....all I can say is I hate them, not much grip and squeal like a pig when cornering....even at less than 5km/h. You can imagine a trip around the car park is quite embarassing!

That said because of there lack of grip it does allow me to press the pedal to the metal when cornering and hang the back end out as the rear wheels spin up and give me some power oversteer :D quite interesting experience in a large SUV/Pickup!!! The gf doesn't like it though :o

Back home i allways used Yokohamas on my boy racer cars. Went though a set avery 3 or 4 months. Amazing roadholding, but as a boy racer ive seen tired killed in a single evening.

Now a bit older (not sure about wiser) and run on Bridgestones. Im very happy with them on my SUV. I still have the boy racer driving style and they do hold the road quite well. They are pretty quiet also, though ive heard that michelins are quieter.

My local cockpit gets my business. They are all much of a muchness anyway.