Thai Education Ministry to form DSI-style unit to fight graft

webfact

Education Ministry to form DSI-style unit to fight graft 

GATPAT-Election1.jpg

The Education Ministry will set up its own version of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) tasked with investigating corruption allegations against education officials.

In his opening address to provincial education officials as well as legal affairs officials on Tuesday, Education Minister Thirakiart Charoensetthasilp said that the ministry planned to form a special team of legal experts, similar to the DSI, to address corruption problem in the ministry.

In the initial stage, the team, to be made up of eight staff members – all legal experts – will be directly answerable to the minister and will be tasked with probing all the complaints of alleged corruption lodged against education officials or against any units of the Education Ministry, said the education minister.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/education-ministry-to-form-dsi-style-unit-to-fight-graft/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-11-29
  • Haha 1

The DSI have hardly shown themselves to be master fighters of graft over the years have they? I mean just look at some of their past leadership figures for all you need to know.

It is all well and good making up some grandiose plans about how to weed out the probably 1000's of rotten apples in the system. I am no expert in this field obviously, yet even I can see when the punishments almost never fit the crime for either corruption or generally criminal behaviour by teachers or ministry workers, then it simply fuels more of the same appalling behaviours. I predict business as usual with a few extra fancy sounding soundbites in the mix before a big reshuffle post election. 

• Like 2

Look more closely at the person in charge and then work down the ladder, not forgetting some agents too. However, not all are bad.

Many agents spring to mind, that tend to usually cheat thier employees, with one in particular with  the letter 'S' that  mainly operate in north east Thailand.

Education should not be compromised! 

• Like 1

The DSI have hardly shown themselves to be master fighters of graft over the years have they? I mean just look at some of their past leadership figures for all you need to know.
It is all well and good making up some grandiose plans about how to weed out the probably 1000's of rotten apples in the system. I am no expert in this field obviously, yet even I can see when the punishments almost never fit the crime for either corruption or generally criminal behaviour by teachers or ministry workers, then it simply fuels more of the same appalling behaviours. I predict business as usual with a few extra fancy sounding soundbites in the mix before a big reshuffle post election. 
I think NONE of the corruption agencies work good. Sometimes you see them work hard and bring down some corrupt officials.

Those are either targeted because of their political leaning or because they got in the media spotlight.

That does not mean that these guy are innocent or that i think they don't need punishment. I fully agree with that. I just think that those cases and others need to go faster and more needs to be examined.

Suthep case with police stations is years in the making. The case against Thaksins son is real old too. It just shows how bad the agencies preform.
This is probably on purpose for some cases but other cases are just handled slow and badly.

So they all need to clean up their act.

The amount of people in this new organisation is far too low.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Graft! . . . in education? 'Well, at least it's only the 'primary school' level of corruption', the minister will probably tell the world, with the stand-up comic's smug grin on his chops and once he's got his DSI council-appointing committee sorted. Meanwhile, carry on grafting chaps . . . you know hard work is good for you.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think NONE of the corruption agencies work good. Sometimes you see them work hard and bring down some corrupt officials.

Those are either targeted because of their political leaning or because they got in the media spotlight.

That does not mean that these guy are innocent or that i think they don't need punishment. I fully agree with that. I just think that those cases and others need to go faster and more needs to be examined.

Suthep case with police stations is years in the making. The case against Thaksins son is real old too. It just shows how bad the agencies preform.
This is probably on purpose for some cases but other cases are just handled slow and badly.

So they all need to clean up their act.

The amount of people in this new organisation is far too low.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ans should comprise at least 50% not from the Ed. ministry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Recently the director of my son's school did a runner. The police and authorities were after her for stealing school funds.

Mrs. BB, a former teacher herself, told me yesterday that the director has been fined and will be transferred to a new position at a different school!

In the UK she'd have been likely jailed and her career over. Until real punishment rather than slaps on the wrist, are given, this corruption won't stop.

Good luck to the team of eight, they're gonna be busy.

"Until real punishment rather than slaps on the wrist, are given, this corruption won't stop."

Trueu, true, true, but sadely  it seems doubtful anything will change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

"Until real punishment rather than slaps on the wrist, are given, this corruption won't stop."

Trueu, true, true, but sadely  it seems doubtful anything will change.

It won't. Not any time soon anyway. Too many layers of gold on that idol.