Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

3 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I don’t have time to research now but my hypothesis is: The EU’s share of the world economy is falling not because the EU’s economy is shrinking but because developing markets are growing faster than developed markets. 

It's true the EU economy has grown in size but unfortunately not in proportion to the market size. Put bluntly they have lost market share. The world economy did not get significantly larger In 24 hours, there were long term signs,  and in business terms no CEO would excuse a Sales Director who lost 5% of market share in a growing market.

6 minutes ago, aright said:

It's true the EU economy has grown in size but unfortunately not in proportion to the market size. Put bluntly they have lost market share. The world economy did not get significantly larger In 24 hours, there were long term signs,  and in business terms no CEO would excuse a Sales Director who lost 5% of market share in a growing market.

china will continue to eat into all nations slice of the cake,they dont need any one nation in particular trade with and certainly wont be desperate for deals with the UK,what could we sell them? 

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

It is the USA

They have state laws and federal law and a common currency. Seems to work?

But also the USA is a country. If you ask an American which country they come from they will not say the name of their state. 

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

I don't. Youtube suggested, sir! Who am I to argue?

As for the BBC, they still have pockets of greatness but too few. They need to stop dumbing down everything and stop pandering to yoof. Yoof are a lost cause to television broadcasting anyway.  

And I wish they would stop including womens football on the same page as mens football...who gives a s@@t....

15 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

If there was as much focus on the Remain campaign they'd find just as many wrongdoings on that side. 

I wasn't aware that the remain campaign had been referred to the NCA, source please.

I fully appreciate your point of view, after all human nature being what it is people would be reluctant to consider that they may have been "swayed".

The crisis emerged after the Brexit referendum, leading to the finding against Vote Leave which has been referred to the police for busting spending limits

Crucially, the cash was used to pay data firm Aggregate IQ and – a whistleblower and an Oxford professor argue – potentially enabled it to precisely target enough voters on social media to have swayed the Brexit result.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-investigate-law-breaking-influence-manipulation-theresa-may-facebook-a8783746.html

15 hours ago, Grouse said:

I guess the combination of the Japan trade deal from 2025 and tariffs on car exports from U.K. AND low volumes are the reason why there will be no new model for Swindon 

Another factor that has been bubbling for some time but tends to get ignored is investment returns. To many, profit is seen as a dirty word but the reality is that generating profits in GBP is not so lucrative as it once was.

A strong yen, however, eats into the repatriated profits of Japanese exporters, weakening their ability to invest and, ultimately, putting the brakes on Japan’s economy, the world’s third biggest. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/15/brexit-is-a-huge-negative-for-japanese-companies-in-the-uk

16 hours ago, aright said:

I used these graphs to arrive  at my 20% figure

Down to 20% from what exactly. If you told us what the real 1980 figure was, rather than just 146 countries, it may mean something.

The only figure that actually means anything is the one stood in front.

23 hours ago, aright said:

Do you mean the reality that in 1973 when the UK joined the EEC the resulting 9 member states accounted for 26% of the world economy. Now with 28 member states it accounts for 20% and forecasts say by 2050 it will be less than 10% (smaller than India).

Do you mean the reality of the EU loosing 5% of its market each year, youth unemployment, 1 trillion euro target2 debts owed to Germany which will never be paid.

Do you mean the reality of loosing the UK contribution, fishing rights, far right political parties and populism.

Do you mean the reality that the EU's market growth has been 2% for the last 10 years, the USA by 76%, China by 132% and Greece by minus 50% and there has been no growth in Italy since they joined the euro.

Do you mean the reality of a high-currency financial strait jacket and...…….sorry, I'm tired of typing.  

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Down to 20% from what exactly. If you told us what the real 1980 figure was, rather than just 146 countries, it may mean something.

The only figure that actually means anything is the one stood in front.

Down from 26% to 20%. In isolation that figure is bad enough but when you consider 26% of world trade was produced by 9 member states and only 20% of world trade was produced by 28 member states...….well I will let you draw your own conclusion.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, aright said:

Down from 26% to 20%. In isolation that figure is bad enough but when you consider 26% of world trade was produced by 9 member states and only 20% of world trade was produced by 28 member states...….well I will let you draw your own conclusion.

When people try and use figures from 40 years ago against those compiled recently, there is only one conclusion that can be drawn, garbage.

Currently nearly 1.5 million unemployed, only 1 million in 1972  -  now tell me the number of unemployed has not gone up  -  easy to distort isn't it.

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When people try and use figures from 40 years ago against those compiled recently, there is only one conclusion that can be drawn, garbage.

Currently nearly 1.5 million unemployed, only 1 million in 1972  -  now tell me the number of unemployed has not gone up  -  easy to distort isn't it.

The figures you obviously dislike were generated in 1917 to indicate the state of the market over the last 40 years. Are you saying the figures produced  are incorrect and/or you disagree with the conclusions...……………….

"I think two things have really moved on since the referendum 40 years ago. The first is the economic picture. Europe has shrunk as a percentage of the world economy"

Daniel Hannan, BBC Radio 5 Live, 5 June 2015

When measured in terms of Purchasing Power Parity, the EU has shrunk as a proportion of world GDP.

The fact is your excuses don't change the published figures. 

19 minutes ago, sandyf said:

1) Not garbage. The numbers show a declining trend that will continue.

2) No distortion. The actual number of unemployed is higher today but the number in work is much higher now. The are 10 million more people in the UK now than in 1972 (says the ONS at least) and a higher % of the total population is working. With 70% of women (age 16-64) now working as opposed to just 53% in 1971, this 17% increase in the female workforce alone allows for a real net decline in the unemployment rate at the moment. 

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

I wasn't aware that the remain campaign had been referred to the NCA, source please.

I fully appreciate your point of view, after all human nature being what it is people would be reluctant to consider that they may have been "swayed".

The crisis emerged after the Brexit referendum, leading to the finding against Vote Leave which has been referred to the police for busting spending limits

Crucially, the cash was used to pay data firm Aggregate IQ and – a whistleblower and an Oxford professor argue – potentially enabled it to precisely target enough voters on social media to have swayed the Brexit result.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-investigate-law-breaking-influence-manipulation-theresa-may-facebook-a8783746.html

And I fully appreciate your point of view, still sore from being on the losing side and still digging up old (and now irrelevant) arguments. Move on! 

Just be thankful it wasn't illegal for the government to spend £9m of tax payers money supporting the Remain campaign.  It damn well should have been! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2019 at 1:51 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Probably nearly as "flustered" as you and another poster, who seem to think brexiteers care about having a blue passport ????!

Don’t forget you’ll also get your bendy bananas back. No more EU bureaucrats telling you how bendy they need be.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, samran said:

It was a figure of speech. 

But thanks for highlighting to us how long trade deals do actually take. Kinda bursts the bubble of brexiter fantasyland that they’ll be able to sign off a plethora of trade deals just as soon as they rid themselves of the shackles of the EU.

What I mean though is that with the heft of the EU behind you, you can push through substantive trade arrangements. If you are on your own, you just can’t. 

Australia and Thailand have been slugging it out on whether Australian avocados can be sold here.

It’s taken a couple of years, and they are still only talking about it. One product, avocado’s F.F.S and all because Thailand won’t recognise a certain procedure in Australia which verifies they are free from a particular pest. 

But when the EU red flagged Thailand over slavery in its shrimp supply chain - at the risk of cutting off lucrative EU markets, the Thai government pulled out all stops to address the problem. They changed laws left right and centre for the EU. 

That will all be gone for you guys. Get used to squabbling over how many jars of jellied eels the Chinese will let you export tariff free. And that discussion taking 4 years. 

But the EU/Canada deal had to be approved by all 28 nations for it to pass. When there are only 2 nations involved surely it will be a lot easier and many years quicker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1