Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

3 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

There may be nothing to remain in..with luck.

Quoted on the Hungarian government’s website, Orban said he could see a danger of fragmentation within the European Union.

"If we are left alone and they do not force islamisation on us, Europe can continue to live as the club of free nations," Orban said, but added that if Brussels forces Hungary "to accept the UN migration pact or the European Commission's decisions so as to make us fit their own Western concessive policies, a breakup [of the EU] cannot be ruled out.”

Hungary are free to leave,but they wont

5 hours ago, rixalex said:

The ECJ ruling is not binding though, just advisory (where have i heard that word before?) and the EU have consistently said that it would need the consent of all 27 EU nations for article 50 to be revoked. I

It would serve you better if you kept up to date!

Article 50: Law officer says UK can cancel Brexit

4 December 2018

The UK should be able to unilaterally cancel its withdrawal from the EU, according to a top European law officer.

The non-binding opinion was delivered by an advocate general of the European Court of Justice.

A group of Scottish politicians has asked the court whether the UK can call off Brexit without the consent of other member states.

The Court of Justice (ECJ) will deliver its final ruling at a later date

Brexit ruling: UK can cancel decision, EU court says

10 December 2018

The European Court of Justice has ruled the UK can cancel Brexit without the permission of the other 27 EU members.

The ECJ judges ruled this could be done without altering the terms of Britain's membership.

It is extending Article 50 beyond 29th March which requires the agreement of all 27.

Much of what you say in your following post is reasoned, even if I don't agree. But

5 hours ago, rixalex said:

I am saying that one of the main reasons given by remainers for ignoring the 2016 vote was that people didn't know what they were voting for and that the whole issue of remaining or leaving was far too complex for people to get their heads around.

Most Leavers in 2016 didn't know the consequences of what they were voting for. The Leave campaign never said what they believed would happen after Brexit (all the indications are that they didn't know!) and when the Remain campaign did, it was dismissed by leavers as 'Project Fear!'

Those of us here in the UK are fully aware that the consequences of both leaving and remaining have been much discussed since; they are discussed every day in the press, radio, TV and other media. The electorate are far more aware of the consequences of both leaving and remaining. Therefore much better able to make an informed choice.

You wish to deny them that informed choice, I wish to allow them it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Why would it be the "final choice"?

I have previously explained what my option would be.

You chastise me for repeating the same question, yet do so yourself!

Here it is again for you.

Three options on a STV ballot:

1. Brexit on May's deal, whatever that turns out to be;
  2. no deal Brexit;
  3. cancel Article 50 and remain.

Got it now?

6 minutes ago, rixalex said:

Are people's minds going to stop changing? Are old voters going to stop dying? If not, surely we'll need to go on checking the will of the people indefinitely, or else, it will be "against democracy"

One could argue that checking the will of the people indefinitely is the very spirit of a true democracy. It is, after all, how Athenian democracy worked.

In the modern world, though, it is generally impractical so we elect representatives.

Though it is still practiced in Switzerland.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

There may be nothing to remain in..with luck.

Quoted on the Hungarian government’s website, Orban said he could see a danger of fragmentation within the European Union.

"If we are left alone and they do not force islamisation on us, Europe can continue to live as the club of free nations," Orban said, but added that if Brussels forces Hungary "to accept the UN migration pact or the European Commission's decisions so as to make us fit their own Western concessive policies, a breakup [of the EU] cannot be ruled out.”

You do realise that Viktor Orban is so far to the right that he makes Yaxley-Lennon look like a wishy-washy liberal?

Even the right wing  European People's Party are considering expelling him and his party.

• Like 2

Just now, Loiner said:
7 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You do realise that Viktor Orban is so far to the right that he makes Yaxley-Lennon look like a wishy-washy liberal?

Even the right wing  European People's Party are considering expelling him and his party.

Exactly the type of guy we need to turn things around in the UK. He could start with EU negotiations first.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly the response I expected from such as you.

You never disappoint; your true colours always rise to the surface.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, nontabury said:

But obviously you no longer beleive in Democracy, as you did in the few months after the people’s referendum. Otherwise you would still respect their decision, and support the implementation of that decision. 

Then afterwards, if you are not happy with the result, campaign to re-join the E.U.

4FA6B8E4-A716-4521-8F94-F529F1AE966F.jpeg

It was the fastest growing economy at the time of the vote.BOE are clowns 10% is too high more like 2 or 3% 

49 minutes ago, nontabury said:

But obviously you no longer beleive in Democracy, as you did in the few months after the people’s referendum. Otherwise you would still respect their decision, and support the implementation of that decision. 

Then afterwards, if you are not happy with the result, campaign to re-join the E.U.

We are three years on since the referendum when we voted for a pig in a poke. It will be another 2 years before we actually leave . We have GE every 5 years because circumstances change and people are allowed to change their mind.

Now we know better what leaving will mean and on what term we will leave why is it undemocratic to allow people a vote on that?

Someone said today "  We will all be dead and Brexit will still be going on. Frankly, death will be a merciful relief" Although I suspect that will not be literally true  we will be dealing with the ramifications of it for at least a generation,  the political and social problems it has caused, will I suspect take much longer to sort out. 

Edited by tebee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Unfortunately, that is the case with some people, but not all.

While not being religious, I do beleive in-

There for the grace of god,go you or I.

In my case, I have always enjoyed good health,which enabled me to work hard,at all stages of my life. At times I did three jobs, sometimes working 18hrs a day. And yes I was/am angry when I see the can work, won’t work brigade. However there are also many people who through no fault of their own, are not able/ capable of supporting themselves. And therefore I am happy to see my tax support them.

the genuine who cannot work are well taken care of as are large parts of the dont want to work but these in most cases are the one's who live in and around the poverty line yet they love a drink a smoke,2 dogs and like to live off take aways,ive rented homes to plenty of them over the years to know and wouldnt mind a quid for every dog end or beer can ive had to clean up,utter lazy filthy british scum bags.

Typical arrogance, to state that those who voted to leave,din’nt know the consequence, while those who voted to remain shackled to the E.U. Did.

What you should have stated is that.”Those of us in the U.K. are aware of the utterly biased reporting in the U.K establishment media”

However the people now have the option of gaining unbiased and true alternative information from other sources. Live with it,and open your mind.

another one who is going to end up in tears when his beloved brexit doesnt deliver.

4FA6B8E4-A716-4521-8F94-F529F1AE966F.jpeg

IMF downgraded the UKs growth forecast on the 19th of last month so what has changed its "projection" in 2-3 weeks?  brexit not happening perhaps,  

Edited by bomber

7 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

You think that's scary?  Just look what is on the cards for the UK states we fail to break free from the shackles of an increasingly undemocratic and power-drunk European Union.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/03/06/eu-chance-end-nationalist-nightmare/

iam quite sure if the UK wanted to jump ship at a later date it would be able to,leaving with the help in hand of another 1 or 2 nations would be much better proposition.

7 minutes ago, bomber said:

iam quite sure if the UK wanted to jump ship at a later date it would be able to,leaving with the help in hand of another 1 or 2 nations would be much better proposition.

I'll let the Bard do the talking for me: 

"Why let 'I would' wait upon 'I will'" -  particularly when we've already voted Leave? 

"Screw your courage to the sticking place and we'll not fail".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

I'll let the Bard do the talking for me: 

"Why let 'I would' wait upon 'I will'" -  particularly when we've already voted Leave? 

"Screw your courage to the sticking place and we'll not fail".

the UK failed to very little right even before brexit,the chance's of it getting it right after are slim to zero.

• Confused 1